PDA

View Full Version : Bladder problems

JBalways2000
17-04-2008, 04:09 PM
So i think i must have jinxed it with my thread about wet food because it seems Raven has some sort of bladder problem :?

Him and AJ were brought for their vaccs yesterday and while there i thought i would mention that i had noticed Raven washing himself "down there" quite a bit more then usual over the last few days. the vet asked a series of questions about his toilet habits. he hadnt been making any noise while going and didnt appear to be going anymore then usual but one thing that i had put down to the litter tray was that he had stopped using it. for about a week he kept using the floor instead of the tray for both number one and two and i bought a feliway diffuser and cleaned all the carpet and it didnt do the trick so then i had the idea to take the hood off the tray and he started using it again. because of this i assumed he just didnt like the hooded tray anymore because he had gone in it since.

i mentioned this to the vet so he decided to put him on a short course of anti bs incase it is the beginnings of infection. he did press his bladder and said it musnt be painful as it didnt bother him so hopefully we have caught it early. im really worrying about him now because hes acting quiet and this morning i DID find him straining to do a wee, on the carpet again. im to bring him back to the vets monday/tuesday once his course is finished.

just wondered if anyone could offer any advice? hes around 18 months old, neutered and until now perfectly healthy. if anyone has any tips to help ease him i would appreciate it. hate to think of my baby being in any sort of pain bless him.

babycakes
17-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Aww poor baby hope he is better soon, sorry I can't help I'm sure someone will be able to

pinklizzy
17-04-2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/flutd/info.html
This is a really good source of info for anyone with a cat having urinary tract problems.
The main things you can do is to feed a wet diet (or moisten dry food) and try and ensure he drinks plenty of water-may involve providing fresh water regularly.
The feliway diffuser should help with any stress (a recognised cause of idiopathic cystitis.
Hope he feels better soon.

JBalways2000
20-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, seems from that link that it is hard to tell what could be wrong from symptoms alone :?

i am pleased to say that he seems to be doing much better :D he isnt washing as much(infact in the last two days i have only seen him wash after a wee!) and i have seen him having a wee and it was in the tray and he didnt appear to be straining so fingers crossed the anti bs have done the trick.

is 5 days on them enough though? he is going back to the vets tomorrow morning so will see what the vet thinks.

im definately going to get a new water fountain(really annoyed about the other one we got :mad: ) and im going to try moistening his food again for him. if he refuses to eat it i will just have to try the natures menu again and hope he doesnt go off it!

will let you know how he goes at the vets tomorrow but im certainly happy with how he is now so hopefully the vet will be too.

babycakes
20-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Hope you get some answers tomorrow at the vets

dandysmom
20-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Do let us know what the vet says....... fingers crossed that all's well!

angieh
20-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I do hope it is good news for Raven. Sounds as if it may have been a bit of an infection - fingers crossed.

JBalways2000
23-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Thankyou all. just wanted to let you know that Raven went to the vets yesterday(much to his displeasure. first he pee'd in the carrier right as we were going to get the train, then while we were trying to swap him to a clean carrier he managed to get pee all over me and the floor and everywhere else. safe to say no one sat next to us on the train! :lol: )

we told the vet nurse that he had shown no symptoms for three days so she was happy to just go ahead and vaccinate him. im guessing it must have been an infection but i will still be getting a water fountain and trying a wet/dry diet so that this doesnt happen again to any of my boys.

thanks again everyone-thank goodness that worry is over!

angieh
23-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi JBalways2000! Thanks for letting us know that Raven is OK. What good news - sounds as if you had a nightmare of a journey to the vet and don't want to have to make that trip too often! Well done to Raven - at least you know he has no blockage in that department! Hope all goes well with him from now on.

dandysmom
23-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Good news on Raven! I know it wasn't funny but I couldn't help but laugh at the description of the train ride .......oh my!!