PDA

View Full Version : advice for having a flat-cat

meep
16-04-2008, 03:00 PM
hey everyone!

i'm new to the forums - just posted a wee intro on the intro boards.

i have had cats all my life, and currently still have two but they live at home with my Dad. They've always had access to the outdoor countryside (perfect for catching rabbits!) and I live in the city so there's no way I could take them with me, but I love seeing them when I visit home.

I am, however, in the position to have my first cat in the city! My flat is first floor, and surrounded by grass in a quiet area of the city. It's not suburban, but it's off a main road and has a grassy park, and grassy outback. The doors will definately not allow catflaps.

So, I'm looking for advice on owning a cat in a flat. I do work 9-5, but only live 10 mins walk from work so when I first get a kitty could take a few days holiday then walk home from work to reassure it at first.

I would like to give it the chance to go outside, as the area does suit! But I was wondering how this would work? Would letting the kitty out in the morning and evening not be enough, if it got a taste for the great outdoors? How easy is it to have a cat in a flat that can't make it's own way out but you do let outside through a door - are they hard to call back in?

Would it be best to keep it solely as an indoor cat (which I do admit I would rather not do, as all my cats I had at home were outdoor cats and it does make them very happy to go for a good wander and come back looking perky and pleased with themselves).

Any advice anyone could give on owning a cat in a flat, with potential outdoor access only when I'm there would be great.

Also any advice on keeping a cat in a flat at all, with no cat flap! When we first got Chaska as a tiny new-born kitten (we hand reared her) we used litter trays so I know I'm comfortable with those.

I'm just sure that having cats in the country with constant outdoor access, and owning a cat in a city flat are two quite different things!

Thanks in advance!

kado
16-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi And welcome. I live in a flat and have 4 cats. Only one goes out and he is quiet good. We dont have a cat flat. The others only go out when i am in and are well trained and dont like the outside. I have a neighbour who 2 cats in a flatwho are about 1yr and they have never being out and they are fine indoors. I havent a problem with my cats being inside. I do live in a villiage though but i have never not being able too get them in.

meep
16-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Kado, thanks for the reply!

I also wouldn't have a problem with keeping my flat indoors all the time, the only reason I would be more inclined to let it outdoors now and again is all the cats I've had in the past were outdoor cats so it would be more familiar to me!

alexgirl73
16-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi. I've lived in a top floor flat with a cat, and he never went out. Tried taking him down the stairs to let him out a few times and he hated it lol. I currently live in a house with 3 indoor cats, who are equally as happy being indoors only. As long as you give them plenty of entertainment ie scratching post, an easily accesible window to lie at and lots of toys and love from you, then they are fine. One thing I would say though is, if you are going to be at work all day, and you want a kitten, it is always best to get 2 as company for each other. Not usually such a problem with an adult rescue cat. Hope this helps :D

meep
16-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi alexgirl!

Thanks for the advice! It is reassuring to hear that indoor cats can fare well; I am just inexperienced in this area. All my other cats had a catflap that went straight out onto a garden with farmland and fields behind it so they were very much outdoor cats used to catching rabbits (sometimes bringing them indoors as 'presents'!) and suchlike. I just felt unsure about having a cat in a flat when it is such a different environment.

I guess I can try letting my cat outside by the door too, and if it likes it, so be it! My only question would be, to cat owners who have cats in a flat but let them in and out manually, does this work? Or does the cat, once it gets a taste for outdoors, then get frantic and cause a fuss when it can't get outdoors?

And Alex, thanks for advice on getting a kitten! I had thought this already and am either going to get two kittens or an adult cat. I will almost definately get my cat from a rescue shelter, and if they have kittens that's a bonus, but if not it'll be an adult cat. All my cats in the past have been rescued, it is so nice to give them a second chance :)

alexgirl73
16-04-2008, 03:46 PM
The best person to give you advice on that would be Elaine, she'll no doubt be on later. She lives in a flat with her 2 cats (you'll learn all about 'The Diva' lol) and she takes them out to the garden.

yola
16-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't live in a flat, but I live in a town centre town house along a very busy road. I have 3 persians who are to all intents and purposes indoor cats. 2 of them (the old ones) sit in the garden when we're out there, the other one who is quite new only goes out on a harness at the moment as he's quite frisky.

I would suggest the following options:

1. have more than one cat (space permitting) to ensure one doesn't get lonely if you're at work all day.

2. harness train your cat/s and walk them. It's quality time you can spend with your cat and you'll so get a reputation locally for being a mad cat woman with cats on leads :D

3. If you keep him/her/them as indoor only, make sure they are able to look out of the window (but not climb out) and that there are plenty of toys and climbing things around for keeping boredom at bay.

meep
16-04-2008, 03:52 PM
:I look forward to hearing from Elaine (and all about 'the Diva'!) later! Thanks Alexgirl.

yola, that's great advice thanks. I am very much considering getting two cats as they will keep each other company and I would hate one kitty to get lonely. So it's probably 80% likely I'll get two cats, I just don't want to rush in head over heels!

I can't imagine harness training a cat! I'd probably rather let them go outside and 'do their thing' as from experience with all my other cats, when I was a kid I used to follow my cats around outside and they very much liked their privacy sometimes - the main reason for letting them outside would be to give them privacy and 'cat-time'. But thanks for the suggestion! :lol:

They will definately be able to look out the window too, not to worry there :)

dandysmom
16-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I live in a house, but my cats have always been indoors only, as, like Yola, I live on a busy street where there have been too many RTAs, plus close to woods where there are foxes and raccoons. With one exception mine have always been harness trained and loved going out for walks; it truly is not difficult to do, and is a nice bonding experience for both. If you don't mind being looked at a bit strangely by passersby! My present cat, Leia, is scared of the outdoors for some reason (she's 9), and has only been outside once when she forced the porch door open in pursuit of a lovely little stray I'd been tending, and who Leia absolutely hated! She was horrified to find herself in the great outdoors! As the others have said, they can be happy and content as indoor cats...., especially with a companion cat and things to amuse them....

Kazz
16-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Hiya I lived in a first floor flat when I got my first cat Archie he was 9 months old when he was killed in a RTA.

It was a side road off a mian road where I lived, but to me it looked a quiet road but after Archie was killed outside my front door I decided to get another cat but an indoor cat...this time I decided on two kittens (rescues) and they lived totaly utterly contented lives as indoor cats till they were 2, having a flat move in the process (in their stride)then I moved to a ground floor maisonette with a garden (a converted victorian house) and they had the chance to go out and they were fine.
Cleo was never a great goer outer she was a homebody who rarely travelled past the back garden. Oscar was a roamer and spent hours out and about.
Then I moved to this house and chose a cul de sca and quiet for the cats....as you do.

I would say though;

Get two kittens if they are to be indoor cats.
Or if an adult, how about one with FILV/FELV (never remember the name) - the virus where you need to keep the cat indoors away from other cats.....they ae always desperate for homes.

Any cat sounds like it will land on its feet living with you an ideal home from the sound of it.

Indoor cats mine loved cat tunnels made from newspaper mine were back then) toys. Litter trys and a window to look out of.

All the best.

CathyW
16-04-2008, 08:50 PM
i lived in london with my 2 hooligans they where indoor cats. and manaaged to cope well. i didnt feel comfy letting them out, so they had their *own room* with lots of stuff to climb on,. a window sill to watch the squirrels play. and loads of fuss off myself and my husband. i also have a dog. they all lived happily together. if they had been younger i would of tyrained them to go on a harness, but they where adult cats by then. plus there was loads of cat loving kids in the area.
but wish you luck on what ever you decide.

Kay
16-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Meep and welcome to Catsey. I don't live in a flat but my 11 cats are all indoor cats only. They are Persians which are ideally suited for indoor life. They are very placid and easy going and adapt very well to indoor life. All my kittens are sold to indoor homes only. I used to have cats that were outdoor, not Persians, but I have to say I will always keep indoor cats from now on. I would get two if you possibly can and then they will have company when you are not there. Kittens are very adaptable and I am sure as long as they have plenty of interaction and play with you they will be fine as indoor cats. I know mine are.

Elaine
16-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Hiya Meep. There are loads of very good suggestions already posted, my favourites being to either get two together, always a good thing even if you have a Diva:lol: and Adopting an FIV or elderly cat. None of these come with out their own problems but as you have had cats most of your life, I am sure you would cope admirably.
My two are indoor, I live in the city centre but I do have a back garden with a 20 foot wall. I only let them out there when I am home to keep an eye on them and weather permitting as the Diva hates to get her beautiful feets wet and dirty.:lol:

meep
17-04-2008, 09:38 AM
DandysMom, thanks for the advice. I have met a few indoor cats who have been horrified at the thought of going outdoors, it's quite funny! Leia sounds like a wee cutie- and actually a similar name to one I had thought if I got a wee girl - Leila. I thought it would suit a siamese or abysinian looking cat (although I won't be buying a pedigree just yet!) It is comforting to know that lots of other cat owners have indoor cats and it works out well; before I came on here I thin I'd only heard biased answers from owners who let their cats outdoors and thought I was being silly for wanting to get an indoor cat! But it seems both work perfectly in their own ways :)

Kazz, thanks for sharing your story. That is such a shame for poor wee Archie :( I am so sorry that happened. I do really appreciate you telling the story as a guide for what could happen. The flat does look out onto grass and has grass behind it, then with more flats, but THOSE flats look out onto a semi-quiet road but one which cars go very quickly down. So that is a real danger. It definately has made me think twice about letting the cat roam freely, and I am becoming more curious at the idea of harness-walking a cat! Does anyone have any pictures of this?

I've never heard of the FILV / FELV virus before, but that is definately worth looking into. Although if I was going to get two cats (more than likley, to keep each other company) it might not work out... The way it's shaping up in my head I can see it all working out perfectly :)

Thanks for all your advice everyone, it really has helped me understand the things involved with owning an indoor / outdoor cat in the city!

yola
17-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I know Babycakes has a picture of her Dennis on a lead, and Hreow, who only visits here occasionally now, posted pictures of her Rover when he was little and was out and about on a harness, hopefully they'll be along with their pics soon!

charliebubs
17-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi Jen,

I'm a bit late joining this thread and I see that the others have already given some fantastic advice!!! :)

I'm a bit of an in-betweener when it comes to the indoor/outdoor debate, as I have made my garden fully enclosed and cat-proofed with netting etc - so in essence my cats can go outside, but they can only go into the garden and are therefore safe from cars, other cats, thieves etc etc. There is a cat flap in the back door, so they do have some independence in that respect.

I have also had an indoor-only cat (in fact I still have her - but she now has the freedom of the enclosed garden). We used to live in an 18th floor apartment in Australia and so there was no outside area for her. There were communal gardens and I did used to take her outside on a harness, as the others have suggested, occassionally. However, she has always been a little timid and frightened of the outside, so being an indoor cat (and now having an enclosed garden) suits her fine :)

My other cats have known nothing different and are perfectly content. :)

I agree with the others, that indoor only homes can work really well for cats. My only concern is that if you start letting them out they might get a taste for it and want to become outdoor cats. I personally think it's important to make a decision early on and stick to it. If a cat has had free roam of the outdoors, it would be cruel to then take that away from them.....if you see what I mean!? :?

As Kay has said, there are several breeds that are ideally suited to being indoor cats - Persian and Ragdoll being just 2 of the breeds. I have a Ragdoll and also do work for the Rags Rehome Charity Group. Perhaps you could consider getting a pair from a pedigree rehome? This is less expensive that buying a pedigree kitten - usually the rehome charity will just ask for a donation.

I am presently fostering 2 Raggies for the rehome group, which need to be rehomed together and will need an indoor only home - maybe a pair like them would be ideally suited to your situation?? :? ;)

Food for thought anyway........ ;)

dandysmom
17-04-2008, 04:19 PM
DandysMom, thanks for the advice. I have met a few indoor cats who have been horrified at the thought of going outdoors, it's quite funny! Leia sounds like a wee cutie- and actually a similar name to one I had thought if I got a wee girl - Leila. I thought it would suit a siamese or abysinian looking cat (although I won't be buying a pedigree just yet!) It is comforting to know that lots of other cat owners have indoor cats and it works out well; before I came on here I thin I'd only heard biased answers from owners who let their cats outdoors and thought I was being silly for wanting to get an indoor cat! But it seems both work perfectly in their own ways :)

Kazz, thanks for sharing your story. That is such a shame for poor wee Archie :( I am so sorry that happened. I do really appreciate you telling the story as a guide for what could happen. The flat does look out onto grass and has grass behind it, then with more flats, but THOSE flats look out onto a semi-quiet road but one which cars go very quickly down. So that is a real danger. It definately has made me think twice about letting the cat roam freely, and I am becoming more curious at the idea of harness-walking a cat! Does anyone have any pictures of this?
I've never heard of the FILV / FELV virus before, but that is definately worth looking into. Although if I was going to get two cats (more than likley, to keep each other company) it might not work out... The way it's shaping up in my head I can see it all working out perfectly :)

Thanks for all your advice everyone, it really has helped me understand the things involved with owning an indoor / outdoor cat in the city!

Hiya again, Meep! Thanks for the kind words about Leia, who is indeed a cutie, but far from wee! She's a big 14 pound cat...that's her in my Welcome Graphic.
Here's a pic of me walking Sultan, my Abysinnian; harnesses aren't just for pedigrees, my moggies walked just fine also and loved getting outside with all the scents and sights!
http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0990.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0990.jpg

tilly
17-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I also thought that I would never try to harness train my cats but they are fine with it and I just take them into the garden for a potter. They have a very long flexi lead so I just sit there and they go where they please.

Or if you go to a rescue centre they sometimes have indoor only cats or as mention cats with FIV (cats version of HIV) aways need homes and can be young cats not just older ones and kittens have FIV too.

Or you could let them out in the mornign and have a cat kennel outside incase they didn't come back. But if you let them out before you feed them they should come back.

Best of luck whatever you do

Tilly

ps mine have just learnt to walk on a harness and lead and they will be 11 on the first of may so they are never to old to learn.They have never worn collar either and were still OK with it.

heres a pic of her first time out
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/tilly0_5/tillywalking.jpg

EmmaG
17-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I agree with Kazz, with your situation you would be ideal to have a cat with FILV/FELV as there are so many gorgeous cats needing a home.

Our second cat, Lucy lived with us for 5 years in a top floor flat, we let her out at the weekends, she didn't go very far and seemed very content.

dandysmom
17-04-2008, 07:51 PM
As Emma just said, females have very small territories compared to toms (neutered ones); my harness-trained females just walked around the block mostly, but both boys walked for blocks and blocks!

And harness training is easiest when you start them as kittens; they just take it as a fact of life. But it's entirely possible to teach an adult: Patches was 1 1/2 when I rehomed her and she had been an oudoor cat; but caught on very quickly!

meep
08-05-2008, 10:56 AM
hi again everyone! thanks so much for all your great advice, and sorry for not replying till now! the internet at home has been down and our internet at work bans certain pages (although this one is now allowed for some reason)!

all your advice is really useful and really gives me confidence with having indoor cats! i have been keeping an eye on the local cat protection league website and quite often there are pairs of indoor cats looking for a new home, which would be ideal! but i can't actually take on any of them tilli move flat (june 1st) and then get back from my summer holiday two weeks later! so the earliest i could start looking is about june 16th...so impatient! i just can't wait to get two wee feline companions now!

looking at all your advice and pictures, you mention the breeds i've always wanted! persians, ragdolls and abysinnians are all on my wishlist! the only other is a bengal, but i know they are very active cats and much more suited to an outdoor life. my boyfriend really wants a maine coone too (i think because they're so big!)

i have been looking for pedigree rehoming centres but there aren't very many where i am (glasgow, scotland). also neither of us have a car, so we'll have to be very nice to a friend or family member to help us pick up our cats when we do get them, and i think asking someone to drive 2 or 3 hours to the nearest pedigree rehoming centre might be a bit much! the sspca and glasgow cat protection league are all within 1/2 hour which is a bit more reasonable hehe.

the pictures of your cats on their harnesses are adorable! my friends and workmates already think i'm a bit cat crazy and i dont even have cats yet, what would they think after i started taking mine on a harness hehe.

i'm not going to be fussy when it comes to getting kittens, adult cats, or pedigrees, because at the end of the day i know i will love any cat-companion that comes my way. i will almost definately be getting two cats to keep each other company so the main priority will be getting two cats that are being rehomed together or will get on with other cats!

thank you so much for all your advice and friendly chat, i'm very much looking forward to getting my cats (eventually) and being able to post my own pictures, and tell me own cat tales!

i will try get photos of my two cats who live with my parents in the meantime :)

angieh
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello again Meep! Very sensible, waiting (impatiently) till you're moved into your flat and have come back from your holiday - going anyway exotic?

Good for you too, deciding to go to the cat protection folk for your kittens or cats whatever you decide. I expect there will be those special cats that were just meant for you. Good luck - do let us know who you finally adopt and oh, of course, photos are always welcome!

meep
12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi angieh! I am waiting very (im)patiently I would say, as I check the Cat Protection League website everyday to see new arrivals, have already fallen in love with about 3 pairs of sibling cats, who have all succesfully been rehomed. But as you said, there will be two special cats waiting for me when the time is right! So much to look forward to! Moving flat, going on holiday, and coming home to adopt two wee kitties!

I'm away to Spain, for some good old-fashioned relaxation on the beach :)

I will of course be back online with photos of my new cats - and probably have quite a few questions for all of you regular board users! As I said, have had cats all my life but never indoor-only cats!

Very exicted :D

yola
12-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Looking forward to your updates in June Meep . . . I bet you can't wait :-D Ask any questions you like, we'll always do our best to give you objective information. You might get conflicting advice though so be prepared to have to make up your own mind :cool: