PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok?

JBalways2000
14-04-2008, 04:56 PM
for the last year i have been feeding the boys burns chicken and brown rice food. im happy with this food, they are all healthy with very shiney coats and i know its not tested on animals and has good ingredients etc

however, lately i have been worrying that they should have wet food because i have read in a couple of places that neutered males should be fed atleast a wet/dry diet to avoid bladder problems. is there truth to this claim?

i started looking around at wet food and although natures menu is the best one im still not happy getting it because AJ and Raven were fed this when we first got them and after a couple of months completely went off it. its also still not 100% pure ingredients :?

i had the idea instead to feed them their morning dry food breakfast and then make their evening meal either tuna/salmon/sardines. does this sound like a good plan? will it be ok health wise? i would rather do this as i know its 100% real fish this way but wanted to make sure this is ok to do. would i need to get a supplement to add to the fish or would it be ok if they were still getting their one dry meal a day?

diskinc
14-04-2008, 05:49 PM
The burns food is very good and would have been my choice for Alf if he hadn't had the problems.

You could moisten the dry food if you don't feel they drink enough. I also used a water fountain to encourage Alf to drink more.

The problem with the tuna etc is the salt level is quite high, maybe discuss with your vet.

JBalways2000
14-04-2008, 06:53 PM
i have tried adding water to their food to musch it a bit but they turned their noses up at it like that :roll: i did have a water fountain that never worked properly from day one but i am planning on replacing it soon. i think they drink a fair amount, i guess im just worrying about it not being enough :?

dandysmom
14-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Another problem with tuna is that it's lacking in taurine, which is essential in a cat's diet, I don't know about salmon or sardines as mine have only gotten that as an occasional treat. Years ago when my Siamese had a bout of cystitis the vet told me no dry food; when Leia had an attack of it the vet I'm seeing now said the same thing,. Have you thought about chicken, with a little of the cooking broth?

Kim
14-04-2008, 10:45 PM
How about giving them a home cooked diet? Either feed them raw or as DM says a little home cooked chicken or mince.

I personally think Burns is an excellent food, I think natures menu is too, I wouldn't overdo the sardines, but once a week is good for them.

JBalways2000
17-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for your replies. i think i will just stick to the burns food then and give them fish mixed in with it maybe 3/4 times a week. it certainly makes them sleep through the night! :lol: i would try natures menu again and may still do, just worried they will get bored after a couple of weeks :roll:

i will definately invest in a new water fountain after Raven being put on anti bs yesterday for suspected bladder infection, he does seem to be the only one that is a little fussy over his water :?

i would think about doing the raw diet but i couldnt really afford it and im vegan myself so dont fancy cooking all that meat for them! :shock: i love them, but not that much ;) :lol: