PDA

View Full Version : This is what some people are feeding their cats, it will shock you!!

nursecroft
13-04-2008, 03:25 PM
All these popular brands are full of rubbish, Im currently weaning Betz of Felix which is only 4%meat and 96% crap. Read this report which is very scary!

Toxic Food

© 2007, Lisa S. Newman, N.D., Ph.D. All rights reserved.

Spring was a scary time for all: contaminated pet food ingredients from China caused kidney failure in our dogs and cats. Pet owners rushed to buy natural brands, assuming would be better. Sadly, several of those were shown to be contaminated as well. What a statement this made on the quality of ingredients chosen for pet food! But it also showed us something...

When a poison is used in the grain chosen for the food, the immediate correlation between the pet food fed and the failure of the metabolizing organs is easily seen. But what about the thousands of other cases of kidney failure/disease in general? Could regular pet food be the culprit? The most common diseases and conditions (i.e. obesity, diabetes, allergies, FUS, arthritis, cancer) all share the same path from wellness to symptom. Regardless of the diagnosis, each is created the same way. It starts with diet! What you feed your pet is crucial to your pet’s long and healthy life.

Poor quality pet foods may cost less at the register but cost more in long term veterinary care. The Animal Protection Institute, of Washington, D.C., reported that the average dog lives twelve years, costing $13,000 in care. Only $3000 goes to the food bill! The rest is spent mostly on medical costs for easily preventable diseases. When a poor quality pet food is fed, the result is always the same; you create a toxic pet. A toxic pet becomes a prematurely aging, diseased pet. Food is the difference between life and death, beyond starvation. Without easy-to-digest and assimilate food the body cannot heal well. It may survive, but won’t thrive.

Less expensive pet food contains less nutrition to begin with. The pet food industry is based on the remnants of our food manufacturing industries. What is considered not fit for human consumption is ferried to the pet food mills for further processing. This includes 4-D animals (dead, dying, disabled or diseased), moldy grains , rotten vegetables, milling by-products and even recycled leather (for protein) or cardboard (used as fiber) [1]. This way the human food companies can make money from their waste and the pet food manufacturers have inexpensive ingredients to use. Even restaurants recycle their cooking grease, used as ‘tallow’ in pet food. These practices and other questionable ingredients are all sanctioned by AAFCO (American Association of Feed Control Officials). These ingredients, being far from wholesome and healthy, are not easily digested.

Food is the fuel the body needs to conduct its many functions such as weight maintenance, hormone production, fighting allergens or building skin tissue. Just like a car burning gas and creating exhaust, the body digests food and produces waste. The most common waste we think of is the stool. However, it goes deeper than that: Metabolism is the process of taking in food, converting it to use and eliminating the resulting waste on a cellular level. Therefore, the cleaner the food - the easier it is to burn - the less waste circulating in the blood.

These wastes, known as toxins, are processed through the eliminatory organs (skin, liver and kidneys). When overloaded they become burdened, malfunction and symptoms appear. Pimples, hot spots, constipation/diarrhea, vomiting, gas, stone formation, pancreatitis and even behavioral issues are common initial symptoms a pet suffers. The simple explanation: after the eliminatory organs become burdened the built-up toxins begin to affect the other systems such as the skeletal (creating inflammation in joints) or nervous systems (affecting the brain and mood). The more toxic build-up, the harder it is for the cells to take in nutrients and eliminate the wastes. The cells prematurely age and weaken, causing malfunction of that organ system. This is the root of all symptoms.

Most importantly, toxins negatively affect the immune system’s function, stopping production of healthy cells to fight aging and disease. It’s a vicious cycle when toxic built-up overburdens organs, thus interfering with specific processes such as digestion! Poor quality foods always compromise pet health: The pet begins to lack in vital nutrients, causing the eliminatory system to weaken, become overburdened, causing the immune system to malfunction. This results in the eliminatory organs becoming further weakened and overburdened; so the cycle continues until the body displays the result: symptoms.

When the immune system is burdened the whole body suffers. It is the primary defense system, protecting healthy cells from invading organisms (i.e.viruses, bacteria, parasites). The immune system works especially hard to rid the body of dying or mutant cells to maintain and build health. Without a properly functioning immune system these invaders attack the healthy cells of other systems resulting in the aforementioned symptoms. The immune system needs healthy and vibrant cells, which means well-fed cells, to function.

The quality of the cell’s “food” depends on the quality of the body’s food intake and its optimal digestion. The easier the food is to digest, the more thoroughly nutrients, vitamins and minerals will be assimilated into the blood stream, nourishing individual cells of the various organ systems. The cleaner the pet’s diet (no by-products, rancid meats or fats, chemicals, white rice, etc.) the easier to digest and metabolize. When a food is difficult to metabolize, not only is it robbing the body of vital nutrients, it is robbing the body of energy as well. Energy is wasted when the body works harder to digest food, assimilate nutrients and eliminate toxins. This is the energy needed to prevent or reverse all symptoms as well as run the immune system.

Toxic build-up poisons the body bit by bit, taking years to show. This is why pet owners often exclaim that their pet’s condition “suddenly” appeared around age’s five to seven and why the importance of diet is so often overlooked: The connection is not made. The first few years the body runs on its youthfulness, dealing with the poor quality diet’s toxic effects until it’s overwhelmed and the body’s natural defenses start to weaken with age. The reality is most disease is years in the making!
[/color]

A good quality diet can help prevent health conditions by providing the body with the clean fuel needed to thrive. Easy to digest pet foods are made with the highest human-grade ingredients, free of by-products, sugar, salt, yeast, chemicals, artificial flavors or colors. These diets provide animal protein as the first ingredient, whole ground grains, fresh fruits and vegetables. They include superior supplementation, such as proteinated minerals, and barrier packaging to maintain the food’s freshness. Avoid plastic-lined, paper bags because rancid pet food is difficult to digest. Pet food loses its nutritional value as it ages in opened bags; never buy more food than you can feed within a month’s time.

In my research, I have noted that the majority of pets do not get enough nutrients from the pet food that they eat. This problem is not always one of poor quality ingredients or digestibility, but always one of a general lack of nutrients available in the ingredient itself. This is especially true of vitamins and minerals, vital to all biological functions. I have found that today’s fruit, vegetables, grains and even meats are not raised to their fullest nutritional potential and additional supplementation has been most beneficial when asking the body to recover and stay well.[2] However the pet food is marketed, in reality based on today’s industry standards, it cannot optimally support each and every individual animal’s own specific needs. The food would be too expensive for the general market. Therefore, it is helpful to add a quality daily vitamin mineral multiple supplement - even to the very best of diets. This assures a more complete combination of potent nutrients (premium fuel) is made available to the body, especially the immune system.

Regardless how old or sick your pet is, whether or not he or she seems healthy to you now, all pets will benefit from a change to a better brand of food. Highly digestible, human-grade quality food is assimilated more thoroughly, rendering greater nutritional support for needs such as symptom reversal, while producing less waste in the blood to hurt healthy cells. The more obvious results can be seen within six weeks as old, worn out skin and coat cells are replaced with much healthier cells.

Become an educated label reader; call the manufacturer and ask about their nutritional philosophies and quality control; invest time in choosing your pet’s diet; it is time and money well spent. Even if your pet needs herbs, homeopathic remedies or medications, good nutrition is always needed. Switching to a better food will help prevent, manage or even reverse most health conditions.

about the author

Dr. Newman holds doctorate degrees in Naturopathy and Holistic Nutrition and has spent the last twenty-five years applying what she has researched to pets. She is the author of nine books including, Three Simple Steps to Healthy Pets: The Holistic Animal Care LifeStyle. Dr. Newman is also the formulator of award-winning Azmira® holistic pet foods and supplements. Her comments are meant as a support to, not in lieu of, proper veterinary care.

sgw1988
13-04-2008, 04:23 PM
like feeding junk food to a baby!

charliebubs
13-04-2008, 05:46 PM
That's an interesting read. Nothing that I didn't already know - we should apply the same principals to feeding our pets as we do to eating ourselves. We wouldn't expect to eat junk food and take aways every day and be healthy.

I'm all for natural and holistic diets. I do feed some raw meat to my cats, as well as cooking chicken for them every now and then, but it isn't cheap and I do feed commercial cat food to them too.

I recommend Applaws and Natures Menu (and Hi-Life, but my cats aren't as keen on that!) for high meat quantity.

nursecroft
13-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Yep I use Natures Menu and organic biscuits

Soupie
13-04-2008, 06:43 PM
My two boys are fed on Applaws which is organic and tuna is dolphin friendly, no added anything etc etc and a similar high quality kibble but Portia has lived on Felix for 13 years before I got her and refuses to eat anything else regardless of it being better for her ;)

Kim
13-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I buy natures menu for the cats, although they do prefer felix and whiskas! The dogs either get natures menu or naturediet or Hi-life for breakfast. None of these contain 'animal derivatives'. For dinner they are either fed raw or I cook human grade mince and veg/rice/pasta.

EmmaG
13-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Natures Menu and James Wellbeloved for my cats as well :) No kitty junk food for my two :)

charliebubs
14-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with Kim though that my lot do seem to prefer the "junk" !!!!!!!!!

I suppose it is like kids and McDonalds.........no matter how bad it is for them - all that added sugar and salt makes it irresistable!!!! lol :)

yola
14-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I took the kids to MacDonalds and both turned their noses up at it! Long may it last, but I somehow don't think so :roll:

Yes, I've recently discovered Applaws and Nature's Menu . . . the former looks good enough to have with sweetcorn and mayo it's so full of actual meat chunks! All my cats love it, especially the two that have lived on a biscuit diet all their lives!

Still feed Royal Canin biscuits though.