PDA

View Full Version : Socks...is in more trouble >:C

Socks
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
This baby boy..I love him to death...but he is ALWAYS HURTING HIMSELF!!!! I guess he's like a 5 year old..you know..always getting scraped knees and cuts and sick...but..for him it's drinking anti-freeze, climbing tall trees and jumping off, and fighting...

It's not too serious..but I need some "what to do" advice on a bite. He got into a fight with next door's cat and got a pretty bad bite on his leg. I looked at it, doesn't need stitches and I can't afford a trip to the vet (I payed for prom-tickets last week and won't get paid til next week) and Kyle can't send any money right now because he is saving up to get his feet operated on as am I. I put some pet-ointment (from when Garfeild would get beat up) on the wound, wraped it in a t-shirt and made sure he didn't move it for an hour (Lol held him down) and took it off so it could get air. He's not limping and when I touch it he only growls at me but he doesn't snap at me or claw me. I'm hoping it'll heal up on it's own

Oh! and the cat next door doesn't have rabies and Socks does have his shots.

So, what I did was it ok? I'm thinking about doing that everyday for atleast 30 minuets and then letting it heal on it's own.

Moli
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I would give it a clean regularly with salt water....would not cover it, ....

Amber
12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I would clip the hair from around the area to prevent it from becoming contaminated with hair, and give it a good clean three times a day with salt water which has been boiled and left to cool.

Keep a very close eye on it though as it's very likely that Socks will need a trip to the vets for antibiotics as cat bites get infected VERY easily! The last thing you want is an abcess.

angieh
12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Absolutely agree with above comments. Boiled water, allowed to cool and about a teaspoon of ordinary table salt to a cupful. Clean the wound very carefully, so as not to pull the skin as it begins to heal and do keep a careful eye on it. Make sure by touch that the area around the bite is not getting hot - that's a sure sign of infection. It's good he's had his shots. Good luck to you and to Socks!

dandysmom
12-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Ditto to all the above! Poor Socks, he really is an accident-prone boy, isn't he? Keep us posted how he's doing. And is Maiah out of heat now?

babycakes
12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
And again I agree with the above, boil water add salt, not too much leave to cool, apply three times a day with a new peice of cotton wool each time. Also agree with the fact that they can become infected easily so do keep your eye on it

Socks
13-04-2008, 03:58 AM
I did exactly what you said ^^ It's cleaned up and there is two little fang marks. (It's already shaved because it's where the IV's were when he had the anti-freeze treatments) Maiah IS out of heat, infact she is cuddeling with me right now.

I really would like to take Socks to the vet, but just a few hours ago my Mom was in a car accident. She is ok, but the car will need to be fixed up. *eye twitch* It was...my car...

Yup, but everything is looking fine :) and the other cat owner is taking care of her cat who had a bad bite on her thigh. She took her cat to the vet and got it cleaned up and it ccost 60 dollars to do that D:

dandysmom
13-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh lord, one thing after another...now the car!! Sounds as if you're doing fine with the wound, keep an eye out for any redness, swelling or discharge....

Sounds as if the other cat got the worse of it...

babycakes
13-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Poor you you are in the wars arn't you

Socks
14-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Uggh, I'm 17..just a few more months and I'm OUT of here lol. But, my car didn't suffer too much ^^ Just a little dent so I'm not to upset about it lol What's funny is that the other car was totaled (The only damage to my Mom and the other guy was whiplash) but my car just has a cute little dent in it that I'm going to keep