PDA

View Full Version : Cat-friendly vet practice-all ideas welcome!

pinklizzy
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone,
Now that I've been at my practice for a while, I want to try and alter some of the ways that we work,in order to try and make everything a bit more cat-friendly.
One of my nurses and I have made some lists of thing s we'd like to change but we'd really appreciate any other ideas-it's a long time since I've been on the other side of the desk!
Some of the main things are:
We're limited by space so it's not really feasible to have a separate waiting room (we also have large animal clients) but we've ordered some larger (taller) screens to more obviously segregate the waiting areas.
We've started a cat-only clinic on one afternoon a week for cats to come in for routines-boosters etc.
The cat ward has a feliway plug-in and we use feliway on bedding etc.
Cats are provided with igloo beds where appropriate to hide away in.
Sorry this is a bit long but I'd really appreciate any input you lovely catsey peeps may have!
Lizxx

dandysmom
11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Those are all excellent ideas: none of which the vets I use do! I love the one day a week cats only; and at least the screens give the cats some sense of protection from dogs...they may smell and hear them but at least they don't have to see them!

Kim
11-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I think the one day a week cats only is a great idea too! I also think that using the feliway and igloo beds must make a big diference to the cats! Well done for being so caring! I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'll come back if I do.

yola
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Liz, it's difficult for me to comment as I'm one of the lucky ones that has a separate area (front and back of house) for cats. My advice would be, for both cats' and dogs' sake is to put as much physical space between them as possible. Even the distant sound of dogs barking and whining give my cats the heebie-jeebies . . . and the dogs are in a totally separate waiting and treatment area.

babycakes
12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Just cats vets in Southport (others around the country) cater for just cats, may give you some ideas
www.justcats.co.uk

pinklizzy
12-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks for that BC, I'll look into it! We're also holding a cat evening in June-with a cat behaviourist as guest speaker and lots of other cat-related stands. Really looking forward to it!

babycakes
12-04-2008, 11:04 PM
It sounds a great way to go, Denis hated going, and I hated taking him because he is so scared of the dogs. I have waited outside before now and they forgot about me. He is due needles soon so will be swapping to the cat only one then