PDA

View Full Version : cat enclosures

elza
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
i moved house 3 years ago,with my 2 cats.what i did not know was the road outside my house was a busy road.i lost one of my cats to the road.i now have another 2 cats.which have never been outside.but my oldest cat is used to going outside.i get up every morning at 5.30 am to let her out for an hour,as the road is dead at that time in the morning.thats the only time she gets out.she cries all the time.i feel really bad for not letting her out.and now the other 2 are starting to copy her.i am in the process of getting a cat run built out my back.i am looking for any advice or opinion on this.as it is the first time i have done this.cheers

Kim
11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Hello Elza and welcome to Catsey.

I have no experience of cat enclosures, I'm sorry. But just wanted to say "hi" and well done for being such a responsible owner. I lost a cat to an RTA when we lived by a busy road, so I understand how you feel. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac now and have lived here 14 years and no problems, so my cats are allowed out, however I can understand totally why you have made this decision. A cat enclosure sounds a brilliant idea! Cat magazines may have articles on them. Good luck.

angieh
11-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I think what you are proposing is a very sensible solution and will keep your kitties safe. I have no advice or information to offer, I'm afraid. I suppose you could look at posts and chicken-type wire or fruit cages and things of that nature. I don't suppose you want your garden to look like a zoo though! Good luck.

diskinc
12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
What a great solution to your problem.

Large rabbit enclosures may give you some ideas or this page:
http://www.flippyscatpage.com/enclosures.html

The ones that spring to mind are:
- a roof to stop them climbing out
- a house of some sort for protection and privacy
- diffent levels for them to climb on to, possible some kind of viewing platform to help them be nosey ;-)

What kind of floor will it have? If it is paving stones then maybe lift one ot two and plant grass for them to nibble at.

Let us know how it goes and post some photos.

charliebubs
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Not quite an enclosure as such, but I have my whole garden cat-proofed using the Secur A Cat fencing system. I've had it for over 2 years now and wouldn't be without it. It gives my cats the freedom to go into the garden and enjoy the outside, but at the same time giving me the security that they are safe.

Secur A Cat don't have a website unfortunately, but if you Google it you will find other people & catteries that recommend them and have photos posted.

I have posted some pics on here in the past too. Perhaps someone good with PC's can find the old post and put a link up for you?!?!?! :?

Hope that helps. :)

And welcome to Catsey ;)