PDA

View Full Version : Ruptured Bladder

diskinc
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
My poor Alf is very ill.

He has suffered with cystitis and bladder crystals for the last 3 years. He was admitted to the emergency vet on saturday night when i noticed he was showing the symptoms (straining, licking etc)

They catherised him and he seemed to be doing fine but after they removed the catheter on Tuesday he has gone down hill rapidly. He is now at the Univeristy of Liverpool Small Animal Hospital in a critical condition as his bladder has ruptured.

They managed to recatherise him but nearly lost him under sedation. They are going to try to stablise him further and hope to repair the bladder today.

I'm soo worried about him and any positive thoughts you can give are very much appreciated. Also if you have been through this or know of others that have then please let me know how things went.

Thanks,
Cheryl

yola
11-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Oh Cheryl, you must be sick with worry :( I don't know anyone who has had this happen to a cat, but my neighbour's cat almost got that as he suffered a urethra blockage and couldn't pass urine. Thankfully they got him to the vet in time.

I'm am keeping everything possible crossed for your dear Alf. Hugs, and please let us know how he gets on.

angieh
11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Cheryl, how terribly sad and worrying for you. Alf is certainly in the right place and I do so hope he manages to pull through. Positive healing vibes to him and to you too. ***HUGS ***.

tilly
11-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Hope Alf is getting better healing vibes on the way

Tilly

dandysmom
11-04-2008, 04:34 PM
So sorry, Cheryl, how dreadful; healing vibes coming; do let us know how Alf is doing...

diskinc
11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Alf is out of surgery. He's still very sick and the next 48hrs are critical but at least he has got over this hurdle. Thanks for the vibes, please keep them coming as they obviously work :-) Thanks again,Cheryl

angieh
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
I'll prompt Merlin to think about his healing spells - he has been thinking about it off and on, that is when he's not asleep!

Glad he's out of the op Cheryl. Fingers and everything else possible crossed. ***HUGS***

PoshPuss
11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Dear Cheryl,
hoping and praying that Alf soon gets better. thinking of you too and crossing all my fingers and toes :)

yola
11-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Alf is out of surgery. He's still very sick and the next 48hrs are critical but at least he has got over this hurdle. Thanks for the vibes, please keep them coming as they obviously work :-) Thanks again,Cheryl

Good to hear the op is over. We're with you all the way on this one - what a worry . . .

sarah5
11-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh Cheryl poor poor Alf :( I am sending lots of virtual cuddles and kisses his way and I hope he pulls through really quickly.

Take care (((((hugs)))))) x

dandysmom
11-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Prayers and vibes here, and (((hugs)) for you, Cheryl.......

Kim
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
What a worry for you. ((Hugs)) and prayers coming your way for dear Alf.

diskinc
12-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Alf was more responsive this morning and the vets are happy that he is making progress.

He did have to be put on oxygen in the night to keep his saturation levels up. Also his Albumin levels are very low which can cause complications so that are supplementing that.

They have placed a feeding tube direct into his oesophagus in case he doesn't feel like eating.

It will probably be monday before we can tell if there is any permanent kidney damage.

Thanks so much for all your thoughts, it really does help to know people care.

Cheryl & Alf

Sasadams
12-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh Cheryl, poor Alf. He's in the best place and everyone is thinking of you and hoping all goes well. Let us know how things go. :cry:
x

angieh
12-04-2008, 01:08 PM
We are all sending good strong healing vibes for Alf, Cheryl.

Thank you for putting a post in Sarah's thread. It is so important that everyone knows how to recognise urinary problems before they get too bad. I hope her Thomas gets better soon too.

***HUGS*** to you and Alf too of course.

diskinc
12-04-2008, 03:18 PM
After a reasonably positive morning we have had a set back.

He has vomited and there was a bit of blood in it. He's been placed on antacid & gut protectors, he's also back on the oxygen.

The worst thing is not being able to visit and tell him to get better and how much I love him.

Thanks for all listening to me as it really does help.

yola
12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
What a shame you can't go to visit him. It might perk him up a bit to see a familiar face. Why won't they let you go?

angieh
12-04-2008, 03:57 PM
So sorry to hear the latest Cheryl. Everything is now doubly crossed.

dandysmom
12-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh no, prayers coming that he'll get better, Cheryl; ((hugs)))

Amber
12-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Have a chat with the staff and see if they will let you visit :) for some animals a visit from their owner is just what they need to get their spirits up.

Sending big healing thoughts to Alf! All fingers and paws crossed here x x x

pinklizzy
12-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Sending prayers and good thoughts for Alf, hope you are able to visit him soon. xxxx

babycakes
12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I have only just read this, sorry.

I hope Alf is feeling a little better, I agree with asking if you could visit he may need to see his mummy to feel better, Big hugs and get well vibes coming your way

Daisy-Doo
12-04-2008, 11:59 PM
All fingers and paws tightly crossed for him here.

diskinc
13-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I am sorry to say that Alf left us yesterday day evening. After a valiant fight his kidneys were failing and he had developed a pulmonary edema. I took the decision to end his suffering at about 7pm yesterday.

Too many of you will know the heartbreak I am feeling but also that I would rather feel this way forever than to have never had him at all.

Goodbye my brave, handsome, loving soul.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll262/diskinc/Picture3.jpg

EmmaG
13-04-2008, 07:03 PM
So sorry to hear this :( RIP sweet little boy

Amber
13-04-2008, 08:00 PM
So so sorry to hear the sad news :( :( what a brave little soldier he was right to the very end. Play hard at the bridge baby x x x x

yola
13-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Oh no, no no. Poor love - he fought hard but I guess he just wasn't strong enough. Well done you for make that extraordinarily hard decision for your very beautiful boy :cry: :cry:

RIP Alf, and lots of hugs and love to you Cheryl :cry:

dandysmom
13-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh Cheryl, so very very sad. But you gave him the last gift you could and he's out of pain now....... remember the happy times. (((hugs)))

RIP Alf, play at the Bridge.....

angieh
13-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I am so very sorry Cheryl. Alf is at peace now - it was the best you could do for him. XXX

kado
15-04-2008, 03:37 PM
I have just read this and i am crying i am so sorry for your loss. He is a very cutie

jane

babycakes
15-04-2008, 06:34 PM
I am so very very sorry to read this. You did the right thing, Big hugs to you, What a stunner he was.

RIP Alf XXX

Kay
15-04-2008, 10:23 PM
You did the ultimate for Alf.

R.I.P. little man.

sarah5
17-04-2008, 08:30 AM
ohhh i am sitting here in tears, i am so so sorry to hear about your beautiful alf.

i absolutely adore that picture, what a beauty.

RIP Alf xxxxxx and ((((hugs)))) to your mum xxx

Mags
17-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I've just caught up with this thread and am so sorry to read such sad news. Your love for Alf shows through by your brave decision to release him from his pain....(((hugs))) to you Cheryl..

Sleep well brave boy .....xx

JBalways2000
17-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I am so so sorry for your loss :cry: he looked like an absolutely gorgeous boy, seems he was very lucky to have such a kind and understanding owner. you done the right thing for him in the end, im sure hes still around somewhere and greatful that you helped him to the bridge.