PDA

View Full Version : The Onyx Saga

alexgirl73
09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, you know how I took in a lovely little pregnant B&W female yesterday? I wasn't very happy with her today and wanted our own vet to check her over, as she hissed whenever I touched her tummy, wasn't as big as she should have been for being 8 weeks pregnant (as the other vets she came from said) and also her nipples were not prominent. So I took her down this afternoon, and left her there un til the vet could give her a check over. They've just called me back to say that she is being kept in for a few days as they have sent bloods off, and they don't think she is pregnant at all, they think she is blocked with fecal matter:shock: :shock: Which would explain the hissing. poor baby. If this is the case she won't be coming to me but will stay at the vets as there is another pregnant female due to be brought in in the next day or two. I will let you know how things go. Just can't understand a vet making a mistake like that!!

pinklizzy
09-04-2008, 05:53 PM
:shock: I know that early pregnancy can be confused with the presence of hard faeces but at nearly full term?!! How painful for the poor little girl! Our vets are always quite hesitant to diagnose a pregnancy without performing an ultrasound.
Hope she does ok. Please keep us updates, if you can.

babycakes
09-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Aww poor baby and how confusing it all is.... Hope she is feeling better soon

angieh
09-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Good Lord! How long had this poor little mite been bunged up d'you think?

Moli
09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Poor baby, how could they make a mistake like that...!Let us know how she goes..

alexgirl73
09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Good Lord! How long had this poor little mite been bunged up d'you think?

no idea angie, but she had been in the other vets for nearly a week!! She has used the tray there and here, but not a lot came out iykwim!

dandysmom
09-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Poor girl! Seems very strange a vet could mistake it for advanced pregnancy; how lucky your instincts told you something was wrong and got her to the vet! Well done, you!

angieh
09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes indeed - she's a lucky little puss and I do hope she's OK when she gets herself cleared out. Poor sweetheart.

yola
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Big hugs to little Onyx and well done to you Alex for spotting that something was amiss. I hope all ends up well for the little one.

alexgirl73
09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
TBH I was wondering at first whether I was overeracting as she was the first 'pregnant' cat I had had, but nothing I had ever heard of said anything about hissing every time her belly was touched. Any any pregnant cat I had known had big teats ready for feeding!

random
10-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Poor thing her tummy must be sore bless her, good on you for spotting it though Alex, a lot of people would have just let her be on the advice of a vet!

alexgirl73
10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
well. Onyx was given an enema at the vets today with no effect, so she is to have xrays in the morning to see if that will show what the problem is. Poor wee girl must be so uncomfortable. I will be having a mum cat and 3 3 week old kittens at some point either tomorrow or sat morning. The owner is being evicted and couldn't find anyone to take them, so we are taking them but he will get mum back when she's neutered and he is in a new home. Also 2 lots of orphan kittens brought in today as well, 4 4/5 week olds and a 6 day old. One of the vet nurses is taking the littlest one to hand rear.

dandysmom
10-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh poor Onyx! I hope surgery won't be required...:(

And oodles of kittens.....pics, must have pics ......:-D

pinklizzy
10-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Oooh babies to hand-rear, I miss that so much! I'm a terribly over-protective mother though :-D
Still have the baby sling that I customised so I could take them everywhere with me,once took two babies for a day trip to the seaside!
Hope Onyx is feeling better soon.

dandysmom
10-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Oooh babies to hand-rear, I miss that so much! I'm a terribly over-protective mother though :-D
Still have the baby sling that I customised so I could take them everywhere with me,once took two babies for a day trip to the seaside!
Hope Onyx is feeling better soon.

Oh, I wish you had some pics of that.....:-D

pinklizzy
11-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Unfortunately DM I don't have many pictures of any of my hand-reared babies, possibly something to do with getting up every two hours, on top of working 10 hours shifts, for three weeks! :-D

Kazz
11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
What a shame about Onyx Alex hope its sorted soon she must be uncomfortable.
Kittens eh! hand rearing hard hard work - take care

Kazz
13-04-2008, 08:53 PM
How's it all going Alex any updates?

alexgirl73
13-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Well, she had the xray, which showed she definitely wasn't pregnant. Also showed some blockage, most likely faeces, so she was to get some liquid paraffin administered to try and move it through. So I should find out tomorrow how that has gone for her.

dandysmom
13-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Poor Onyx! Hope the paraffin will do the job........

Kazz
13-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Poor babe. Hope it works