PDA

View Full Version : spayed cat question

puddytats
09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
OK so i have a problem with Tilly!

she was spayed 18 months ago and we still get tom cats stalking the house. they are even trying to mate her...the poor girl doesn't get a minute's peace. she doesn't let them do it, in-fact she she really tells them off....lol.

i phoned my vet to ask why this would happen and they said they couldn't think of a reason.

has anyone got any clues as to why, and has it happened to any of yours?

pinklizzy
09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
That's odd, I know that if, during a spay, a remanant of the ovary is accidentally left behind, it can cause the cat to still show signs of coming into season and even try to mate.
However if your vet hasn't mentioned it to you, I'm a bit stumped!

dandysmom
09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
That was the only thing I could think of also; she might still be giving off pheromones if part of the ovary was missed....very odd; I'd not heard of that happening to anyone I know...

pinklizzy
09-04-2008, 09:14 PM
It happened with our family labrador, to the extent that she used to have some blood spotting like she was in season and male dogs used to attempt to mount her!
From memory, it only needs to be a very small piece of the ovary to be retained for hormones to stil be produced.

yola
09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Up until last year, my neutered boy used to try and mount my spayed girl. She let him climb all over her and eventually would get fed up and slap him (top girl LOL . . . ;) )

Nothing ever happened and I can't determine whether she/he or both were giving off scents, but it was very seasonal - mid to late spring only.

puddytats
09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
our male cat is the same....and its her son:shock:
we have another 2 she cats, and they don't bother them. also we have another tom and he just isn't bothered at all.

i don't know what to do because they all sit on my windowsill looking in at us and whaling like love sick kittens...lol

any ideas?