PDA

View Full Version : Abdominal pain & accidental urination???

sarah5
07-04-2008, 10:23 PM
My eldest boy Thomas is about 9 and has never had any problems. But this morning I noticed he was looking really odd, listless, tail between his legs, just looked poorly. I tried to pick him up but he screeched when I pressed his tummy and then had a wee accident..

.. then he went and hid under my son's bed. I always know he's ill when he hides under the bed.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to take him to the vets this morning but when I got home he seemed far better anyway, he was sitting on the window ledge looking at the world going by and generally seemed contented.. oh and he had some food too.

Am I right in leaving this to see if it comes back or should I really get him checked out? I just tried to touch his tummy (gently) and he nipped me so I assume it's not feeling too great still, although he seems relatively happy in himself.

Does this sound like cystitis? Or something worse (kidney failure:() ?

angieh
07-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I would most certainly take Thomas to the vet as soon as you can. It may just be an infection, but he is obviously still in pain if he nipped you for touching him. He probably needs antibiotics at the least.

Please let us know how he gets on!

sarah5
07-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for your quick reply Angieh, I was hoping someone would be here to help!
Ok I'll be honest, he quite literally sank his teeth into me when I touched his tummy, although Thomas can be a vicious devil at the best of times! Although it is clearly obvious there is pain.
I didn't think cystitis caused abdominal pain, well it never seems to have done with my past cats (obviously there is pain when urinating but it didn't seem to be abdominal).
Anyway, I'm away for the next couple of days which is annoying, but hubby is off work so I've given him strict instructions to get Thomas to the vet!
Thanks for your help.

angieh
07-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Definitely the first port of call Sarah - hope your OH can manage to get Thomas there ASAP.

I do hope it is something easily treated.

yola
08-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Sounds like what happened to my neighbour's cat a few years back; a blockage which stopped most of the urine from getting out. Potentially deadly if not treated. I'd get him to the vet as soon as you can!

Sasadams
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree with the others and get him checked over by a vet just to be on the safe side. Let us know how he gets on!

sarah5
11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies and sorry for taking so long in replying. I took Thomas to the vet and she said that she thinks it is cystitis as (luckily) his bladder felt reasonably empty, which is great as I was really concerned that it was a urinary blockage.
She gave various injections - an all-in-one antibiotic injection (he can be quite vicious so very hard to give pills!), a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory. She also felt his tummy, took his temp, etc.
Basically she has told me to keep a very close eye on his movements (we have bought a litter tray again) and to use wet food for a few weeks to get extra fluids in him.
Bless him, he seems really miserable, wondering around with his tail between his legs, jumping at the slightest thing and just seems really lifeless.
I'm sure he'll make a full recovery which is great.
Thanks again for all your help xx

yola
11-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Gald you know what it is, cystitis is nasty but treatable. However it tends to be recurrent so you should watch for symptoms in the future. The litter tray is a good idea. You can monitor his toilet behaviour that way.

angieh
11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes you're right Yola. It is important to see that he is weeing and the litter tray is the best way to do this. Do encourage him to drink if you can, even adding some water to his food.

If you have ever experienced cystitis yourself, you will know how painful it is and Thomas may associate the pain with the place where he has tried to wee, so it may be sensible to put some extra trays around if at all possible. Let's hope the antibiotics and the anti-inflammatory and painkillers calm the whole thing down really quickly. It's good his bladder wasn't full at the vet, at least the urine is getting out. We've had thread recently where another Catsey member's cat had to have an op for a ruptured bladder and we have all our fingers and toes crossed for him.

yola
11-04-2008, 10:50 PM
If you have ever experienced cystitis yourself, you will know how painful it is and Thomas may associate the pain with the place where he has tried to wee, so it may be sensible to put some extra trays around if at all possible. .

Oh, yes. Before having my 1st child I suffered very frequently. Thankfully, since giving birth 4 1/2 years ago, I had one final, monster attack and that (touch wood) seems to have been it!!

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy let alone a cat that didn't know what was going on!

angieh
11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
I am sure that I have seen some variety of cat food that has cranberry in it. Can't remember what though. That would be good for Thomas.

diskinc
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm the one who's cat has the ruptured bladder. I can't stress enough how important it is to get your cat to the vet as soon as you see any signed of urinary problems, especially in males.

Signs can be:
- inapprropraite urinaration
- lack of urianrtion/straining
- excessive licking at the gential area
- general uncomfort, unsettledness - Alf paces about and can't get comfortable

In Alf's case we suspect that stress may have been a factor as we seem to have a cat that was coming into my back garden at night.

Alf is starting to make progress but his vets bill are likely to be in excess of £3500 (thank goodness for insurance!).

Fingers crossed that Thomas responds to the medication and is a happy boy again soon.

Cheryl

sarah5
13-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Aw Cheryl poor poor Alf, I am thinking of you both and praying he gets better really soon.

Thank you so much for pointing out the symptoms to look out for - Thomas has been displaying all those symptoms for over a week now but luckily it seems it didn't come to anything more serious as he seems much much better now.

Thomas also has been pacing about, wandering around not seeming to know what to do with himself. He has also been displaying odd behaviour, for example he'll notice something random on the floor and become extremely scared of it, yesterday I only moved my foot and he leapt about 4 feet in the air in fright bless him.

BUT this morning he has been outside playing with our other cat Scrabble (who is only 1 and brings out the kitten in Thomas) and they were both leaping on leaves for about an hour, it was hilarious!

Anyway sorry I am waffling on!

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. I will certainly look out for that cat food with cranberry in it angieh, it sounds perfect for Thomas.

xxxx

catsarepurrfect
13-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I sense something bad and I would suggest you to take him to the vet immediately.

Usually when a cat is behaving in that manner and when you try to touch their tummy and they nip, it's something serious.

Hope everything goes well with him

angieh
13-04-2008, 11:52 AM
So glad Thomas is on the mend Sarah. Good that you took him to the vet and got him sorted out. ***HUGS*** to you and Thomas too of course. :D :D :D