PDA

View Full Version : Cat Birthing

juliefirth1982
07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
My 3 Year old cat gave birth to 1 kitten at 11.45 this morning at the moment she and kitten are sleeping and doing well i was just wondering if this is weird to only have 1 kitten as this is her second litter? she had 5 that all survived with her 1st litter about a year ago any info would be greatly appreciated

pinklizzy
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi,
Has she shown any signs of further contractions? Did you have any idea of the number of kittens you were expecting-scans etc? I'd advise that you get her checked out by a vet, they should be able to palpate the abdomen to check for any others etc.

juliefirth1982
07-04-2008, 05:56 PM
No further contractions and she has had some food!! Thought maybe she was having 2 as she was so big and couldnt get onto the bed yesterday she was so heavy

pinklizzy
07-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Some queens will eat between kittens! Is the kitten fairly big? I know it's quite possible for cats to have just one big kitten but I'd still advise a vet check-it's possibe for some cats to experience uterine inertia which can, in some cases lead to a c-section. Some vets will give oxytocin injections to get things moving again if there are other kittens still there.

juliefirth1982
07-04-2008, 06:23 PM
its actually quite tiny compared to the ones she had the last time its about the size of the runt of the litter last litter

yola
07-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Then I really would seek vet advice. There could be kittens stuck in there needing assisted delivery. Please let us know how you get on!

pinklizzy
07-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I agree, if you haven't done already, you need to consult a vet. Hope everything is ok, please let us know.

Kim
07-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I have read this thread and kept quiet so far..... however, I assume that you are not a breeder, (due to your lack of knowledge) so wonder why you have let you cat have 2 litters? :? Cats Protection, RSPCA, and other animal welfare organisations are overrun with trying to find homes for cats & kittens, literally thousands. Therefore I cannot understand why anyone would want allow their cat to have 1 litter, let alone 2 :shock: I am very pro-neutering.

I agree with the others that you need to consult a vet asap.

charliebubs
08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree with what Kim says - I know that accidents can happen - but 2 litters is no accident.

I would get her to a vet to make sure that there are no further kittens. Unfortunately the longer you leave it they could be dead inside her.

Furthermore - there is a large risk that entire male cats (and/or strays) carry diseases like FIV or FeLV. Allowing your girl to essentially have unprotected sex with "strangers" is dangerous to her. You wouldn't do it.......so why do you allow her to????? :shock: