PDA

View Full Version : Harness trainging Buster and Tilly

tilly
07-04-2008, 01:29 PM
As there seems to be a delay in cat proofing my garden. I thought I would have a go at harness trainging buster and tilly.

I have got them a harness and lead. They have a x-small dog harness as it looked better than the cat harnesses. It also means that there isn't anything roundthe neck.

Buster doesn't seem at all bothered by it and I had a little go with the flexi lead on him just getting him to walk to me when I had a treat.

Tilly isn't to sure about it but isn't trying to get it off she is just walking a bit odd with it on.

Having said that I only got it yesterday.

Anyway I thought I would keep you all posted as to how it gets on.

How long did it take for the cats walked on here to get used to the harness and lead. I am planing on taking it nice and slow.

Tilly

yola
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I've never been able to successfully train any of mine. They all would either just try and bolt or sit down and refuse to move. Even after months of trying!

Starting it again now with Myshka and he really hates it. So I too would be interested to hear how long (on average) it can take.

Hope Buster and Tilly take to it soon Sally :-D

dandysmom
07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Maybe my experience wasn't typical, as all of mine took to it quite quickly: they were so pleased at being outdoors with all the new exciting smells and sights. Loud buses/trucks spooked them a bit at first (I live on a busy street), but they soon realized it was safe. And in the pre-leash law days, loose running dogs were scary for both of us! Oh, and walk each one individually: don't try two at once; believe me it will not work!!! And I didn't go by the book either: letting them get used to it slowly indoors. I just put it on, opened the door and let the cat go out: worked for me. Good luck, and do keep us updated!

tilly
07-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I was wondering about that as they seem to have taken to it very well. I am planning to walk them just in that garden as it isn't cat proof and Tilly tend to sit in the road if she can and Buster has ashma and is constantly hungry. So I would want them to saty in the garden. But you never know.

Where do you walk your cats? It sounds like it is along the pavement.

I have only got one harness so they can only go out one at a time but it is interestint to know not to walk them both together.

I will keep you updated and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your replies.

Tilly

tilly
07-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Just had a very quick potter in the garden with buster he seemed to quite like it . But mmanaged to get his legs through the leg bits of his harness. So I have sorted that out now.

More news tomorrow.

SAlly

babycakes
07-04-2008, 07:49 PM
She will find it awkward to start with as it is alient o her but she will get used to it if she wants to go out as she will start to associate the two together. Denis waits very patiently now to have his put on. Good luck, oh and don't forget the pics ;)

dandysmom
07-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I was wondering about that as they seem to have taken to it very well. I am planning to walk them just in that garden as it isn't cat proof and Tilly tend to sit in the road if she can and Buster has ashma and is constantly hungry. So I would want them to saty in the garden. But you never know.

Where do you walk your cats? It sounds like it is along the pavement.

I have only got one harness so they can only go out one at a time but it is interestint to know not to walk them both together.

I will keep you updated and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your replies.

Tilly

Along the sidewalks, through the alleys, in the yards of a few people who were cat people and said it was fine for the cats to walk there, and in my fenced-in back yard. It was difficult "explaining" to them that it was OK to walk in this yard, but not in that yard; but they eventually got the message...although Patches, bless her, was very difficult to convince, she would tug and tug on the leash! :-D. My two girls had small territories where we walked...mostly just around the block and thru the alley. Sultan had a very large territory.... two and three blocks in each direction from home.

I once tried taking Sultan and Misty out at the same time: he wanted to head South, she wanted to go in the garden and lie under the peony bushes ......it ended up in a rather unpleasant spitting/hissing/slapping event; and they were normally the best of buddies! I never tried that again!

I know I've posted this before, but here's Sultan, the mighty walker striding long!

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0990.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0990.jpg

tilly
07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I will hope to post a photo of the two of them out tomorrow weather permiting
SAlly

babycakes
08-04-2008, 08:55 AM
They are a pair of sexy legs DM.:cool:

To start with I let Denis wear it in the house increasing the time he had it on each time. Then we moved into the garden. He was really freaked to begin with so I kept him on a short leash. Then he used to turn around and hiss at me for following him to I got him a retractable dog lead so he could go further and I could stop him if I wanted to, ie climbing on walls etc. He now has his retractable dog lead attached to the washing line so the he can wonder up and down without me always supervising him.
I don't take him on roads etc as he is far too nervous.
If you open this in a new tab you can see the vid

see below
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/babycakes469/th_PA030303.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/babycakes469/?action=view&current=PA030303.flv)

PLEASE BE CAREFUL TOO AS THEY CAN WRIGGLE OUT OF THE HARNESSES AND SOMETIMES CAN GET THEIR LEGS STUCK DOING SO

Hreow
08-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Rover wore his harness for exrta fun play-time to start with, then when he was allowed out into the hall he had to wear the harness before being allowed to roam there. Harness was "Cool, I get to play and go exciting new places", so not much of a problem. When we went out (our garden first) I added some vocal commands. Only when I could make sure he would respond, and always before enforcing them (mostly "no!" and "stay"). He's a glutton, so I brought a large supply of roast turkey and all was well. :-) Even now that he's off the lead (and free to roam three-four blocks of mostly gardens) he'll stop and stay. And even the recall is acceptable. He's a cat, so sometimes it's down to calling him, and he'll eventually recall that he's hungry and show up... :D Lots of interesting things to see in all those gardens, and there will occasionally be a game of cat-chess that can't be interrupted.