PDA

View Full Version : Maiah's acting VERY strange.

Socks
06-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Maiah is the quiet type..but now she is VERY noisy!!! She had just recovered from a bad cold and is given medication for the Herpi (sp) virus in her eye.(Vet did a test and is not contagious) I went to Florida for the week and when I came back (today) Maiah is just acting not herself.

1'st sign: Maiah is Mewing like CRAZY!! It's like a whine almost.

2nd sign: Maiah keeps walking to the back door to the door that leads to under the house as if she wants to show me something. I looked down there but I can't go in there but she REALLY wants me to look at this one corner.

3rd sign: She has REALLY wide eyes as if she had just seen a ghost.

4th: she just seems really paranoid and is just mewing constantly since I closed the door.

any sugestions?

babycakes
06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Is she speyed? Is she urinating ok??

Socks
06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
No, she is not speyed. The vet refuses to spay her until she is one year old. this is the 4 of them that I've been too.

I have only been back a few hours, so I'll keep a close eye on her but I did see her using the litter box and everything seemed fine.

dandysmom
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Do you think there could be something in the crawl space that has frightened her?

babycakes
06-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I was wondering if she was calling as it's the season. I don't know why your vet would wait as there is a good chance she could get pregnant
But also querying whether she had a water infection and was frustrated.
However I wonder if DM is right and something has spooked her

Socks
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm hoping that's it just that she's spooked. I closed the door and she keeps pawing at it. She does like to store her food -_-;; but I don't know why she would be so paranoid about me going down there. When I did go down there, all she wanted to do was play (there was nothing in the corner) but she seemed quiet and calm when I sat down there with her. but when I go back in the house she throws a big fit.

dandysmom
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh, sorry, I thought it was a crawl space, not a room ....that is certainly odd; don't have any suggestions......hopefully she'll quiet down now that you're back. How was Florida? How's Kyle?

Socks
06-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Well, I think she is in heat now lol. She's been rolling on EVERYTHING!!! So..ya, now that I look at her she's showing off infront of socks who dosn't give her a second look.

But, Florida was Awesome!!!!!!! Kyle looks Absolutly great and VERy...Very! Handsome in his Uniform *drools*

we spent a week together and He's got a house now so I am planning to move out with him when I'm 18.

dandysmom
07-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Oh dear, rolling. calling....she could very well be in heat. she's the right age. Watch her like a hawk so she doesn't slip out!! She's far too young to have kittens! It is funny how the neutered males like Socks react...couldn't care less..:-D I mentioned on another thread that when Misty went into her first heat my Sultan looked very perplexed at all the rolling, calling, etc., as if he wondered what in the world was the matter with her...:-D

Glad you had a good reunion with Kyle and enjoyed the visit...:D

Socks
07-04-2008, 01:38 AM
lol ^^;; Socks..actually isn't...neutered. But I am keeping a close eye on her and him. So far he is keeping away from her. Garfeild however is constantly cuddeling up next to her and he is neutered D: My cats are just weird T_T

dandysmom
07-04-2008, 01:41 AM
OMG, he is an entire tom.......:shock:.....??? Not good....

Amber
07-04-2008, 08:52 PM
If Maiah is in heat and Socks is entire you really need to keep them apart :shock:

Socks
07-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes, we are keeping them apart :) Socks still seems to be more interested in a pair of shoes right now then her who is rolling all over the place. I have called 24 vets in the area..ALL of them require the house-cats to be a year old...

They both are are 9 months old....So I'm a little ticked that I have to wait just 3 more months to make sure that Maiah will not get pregnant. I had a cat once who was at 10 months and got pregnant and she was fine..but I still don't want Maiah to ever grow up I guess >.> that and I don't need kittens all over the place XP So I'm going to go to nashville to see if there is any one who could do it.

dandysmom
07-04-2008, 09:48 PM
That is weird! And doesn't make a bit of sense to me! Here in Washington our vets have no such policy: Misty was spayed at about 6 months, and Leia at 5 months.

angieh
07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Seems really strange - but if Socks has called 24 vets! Perhaps Tennessee really want more cats.

Amber
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I was thinking the same as in the UK cats can be speyed from 6 months of age, I've even known them to be speyed at 5 months on rare occasions. I guess the policy is different in Tenessee although I can't for the life of me think why :?

babycakes
08-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I cannot understand why a vet would not allow a cat to be neutered/speyed until it was 1 year old there is no medical reason for it and for it to be ok for a kitten to have kittens.

Socks I got these from the Young Williams Anbimal centre site. They do a low cost spey and neuter program, from 'prevent a litter' (ask them the medical reason for not allowing it to take place until a cat is one please as it may only apply to males but not females)
TENNESSEE
Holly Help Memorial Spay Fund
Bristol VA / Bristol TN
276-466-5375
Everyone is eligible for low cost s-n assistance, which is funded by the public through recycled aluminum cans.
People United for Animals PUFA
PO Box 1082
Bristol TN 37621
423-274-2407
Lost cost s-n assistance in Bristol VA/TN

Humane Society of Greater Sullivan County
Kingsport TN
423-239-5237

Northeast Tennessee Animal League
Blountville TN
423-288-2255

McMinn Regional Humane Society
PO Box 7
Athens TN 37371
423-744-2747

The Spay Station
Humane Association of Wilson County
Lebanon TN
615-444-1196

Beesley Animal Humane Foundation Spay/Neuter Clinic
1140 Haley Road
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
615-890-6878

Nashville Humane Association
112 Harding Place
Nashville, TN 37205
615-352-4030
Call to learn about their low cost spay/neuter program, in partnership with Friends of Animals and with the Davidson County veterinary association.

Ken-Tenn Humane Society
PO Box 1526 Fulton KY 42041
Area code 731
Email: lkiplingNOSPAM@utm.edu Remove the nospam to send email
For residents of northwest Tennessee and southwest Kentucky (Obion and Weakley Counties in Tennessee and Fulton County in Kentucky), low cost s/n for pet cats and feral cats. Also, they offer advice on how to maintain feral cat colonies.

AnimalWorks
Alcoa TN
865-379-2227

Fix-A-Pet clinic
Seymour TN
865-579-6738

Animal Foundation of East Tennessee
AFET
1637 Downtown West Blvd, Suite 16
Knoxville, TN 37919
865-691-8384
Low cost s/n for everyone, and free for some clients who are low income.

People Promoting Animal Welfare (PPAW)
Greenback TN
865-856-7729

Animal Protection Association
PO Box 11471
Memphis, TN 38111
901-377-3779
Low cost s/n for pets and ferals.

Hardin County Adopt-A-Cat
8325 Highway 128 South
Savannah, TN 38372
adoptacat@freeyellow.com email
Low cost spay/neuter for pets of county residents.

Hardin County Humane Society
PO Box 874
Savannah, TN 38326
901-689-3963
Low cost spay/neuter for pets.

MEWTOPIA
Germantown TN
901-753-8890
Memphis area.

Spay/Neuter Assistance Program
Humphreys County Humane Society, TN
931-296-0938
Provides some assistance for s/n of pets of low income people.

Humane Society of Putnam County
Cookeville TN
931-372-2728

Cookeville/Putnam County Animal Shelter
Cookeville TN
931-526-3647

Prevent Unwanted Pets
Cookeville TN
931-528-5539

angieh
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Good one BC - that must have taken some research!

dandysmom
08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh well done, BC! That should be very helpful; how nice for you to do all that research for Socks! (:oops:..I should have thought of that myself....)

babycakes
08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I actually just googled neutering cats tennesse and the page come up. So can't take much credit as it really wasn't hard work :oops:

Socks
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Thank you very much :O The reason why is because they looked up Maiah's file (since she was put into a pet-hospital) and saw she was a very small cat. She's around 5 pounds and they say that her body wouldn't be able to handle it. I don't understand at all :O She's not uber-skinny..she's just REALLY small! I'll check up on that though! Thankyou very much!

angieh
08-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I know that it can be very intimidating trying to argue with a vet - but if they are saying that spaying such a small cat would be dangerous, perhaps you might try to tactfully say that it would be much more dangerous for her to get pregnant and have to give birth to the kits.

Good luck Socks - this has got to be worth a bit of a battle on your part! We're all with you in spirit at least!!!

babycakes
08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
If you are keeping her in with no possibility of her getting out (ie open windows etc) then you MUST take your tom and get him neutered Socks

Socks
09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, we've been keeping them apart and the times they are together they are under very close observation. Maiah is deadly afraid to go out of my room. Only two places she'll go is under the house or in my room. So, she's been in my room the whole time while Socks, who still dosn't care that Maiah is this way, is outside. I did tell the vet that, and she said "It has a less fatality percent" For some odd reason..I don't see the fact in that..

but anyways, I just have to keep them seperated for 2 weeks. that's when Kyle gets paid, he's going to send me the money to get Socks nueterd :3 He said he didn't want to be a grandpa ^^ Plus her heat cycle is probabally over becuase she's back to her old self...by not rolling and screaming every 5 seconds >.>