PDA

View Full Version : How do you dispose of your cat's poo?

angieh
03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Sorry - bit of a yucky subject but I've been thinking of ways to reduce my use of plastic bags around the house and so I thought there must be a better way of disposing of solid cat waste. This product has been marketed with dogs in mind, but I can see no reason why it shouldn't be used for cat faeces too.
http://www.thebincompany.com/acatalog/Online_Shop_Dog_Waste_Bags_46.html

dandysmom
03-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Very interesting! I use the plastic bags that come with my bi-weekly grocery delivery; far far too many of them! When I shop I always use a tote made of recycled materials; but that option of course isn't available with the delivery (they won't even use paper bags for that!)
I like the idea of biodegradable, will look into that and see if they're available in the States!

MrsH
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Mine do almost all of theirs in our garden so it gets dealt with by Mother Nature. Now and again one of them will use the litter tray during the night, we scoop and flush.

Donna
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I flush it down the toilet.

Fran
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I use nappy sacks when I scoop and black bin liners when I fully empty the tray

Elaine
03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I feed it to Graham:lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I do the same as Eileen. Interesting link.;)

Moli
03-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I feed it to Graham:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet you do too!!!:roll: :lol:

I scoop and flush...

Elaine
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Splash a bit of mustrad sauce ontop and tell him I burnt the bangers:lol: :lol: :lol:

Moli
03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Splash a bit of mustrad sauce ontop and tell him I burnt the bangers:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yuk!!!!!Poor man!:lol: :lol:

angieh
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I use nappy sacks when I scoop and black bin liners when I fully empty the tray

Ah now Fran, you're the sort of person that I am thinking about - would you consider using biodegradable sacks? I guess that price would be a consideration though?

angieh
03-04-2008, 07:58 PM

Elaine!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Words fail me! Poor Graham??!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ;)

Elaine
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Elaine!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Words fail me! Poor Graham??!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ;)

He's ex forces people, he's eaten worse, I assure you:-D

dandysmom
03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh Elaine, you are soooo funny!

I don't flush because the litter ( I use clay) adheres to the, erm, deposit, and I'm afraid that over the years it might clog up the toilet......I think I read that many years ago, it may not be true, but I don't flush just in case.....

When I catsat for Carolyn she had me use plastic bags also rather than flushing .....

Fran
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Ah now Fran, you're the sort of person that I am thinking about - would you consider using biodegradable sacks? I guess that price would be a consideration though?

Yes, I'd consider using biodegradable. I do have quite a few litter tray changes per week here though, so yes, cost has to be a consideration.

yola
03-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Well I have industrial-sized supplies of nappy sacks because I have a prolific nappy-user in Sebastian! I'm very guilty inasmuch as use disposable nappies and (at the moment) non-biodegradable sacks for both baby and cats.

I DID use the eco ones early on with Dominik but they are so very much more expensive and they were so weak they hardly held a nappy let alone a full bag of clay litter.

I too am nervous about flushing clay litter due to it's expanding properties - and I'm nervous about changing the litter to a flushable one as I've got enough problems with them parking their bums all over the house without giving them added reason :roll:

angieh
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Well I have industrial-sized supplies of nappy sacks because I have a prolific nappy-user in Sebastian! I'm very guilty inasmuch as use disposable nappies and (at the moment) non-biodegradable sacks for both baby and cats.

I DID use the eco ones early on with Dominik but they are so very much more expensive and they were so weak they hardly held a nappy let alone a full bag of clay litter.

I too am nervous about flushing clay litter due to it's expanding properties - and I'm nervous about changing the litter to a flushable one as I've got enough problems with them parking their bums all over the house without giving them added reason :roll:

Thanks for that Yola. I knew they were more expensive from my investigations, but of course, you can't know how good they are without trying them. I think they are made out of some sort of starch, so can't be that strong but if they're not "fit for purpose".... Well - that's that good idea out the window!

jenng
04-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I use a clean green dog loo, you put it in the ground in the garden fill it with bioactivator it digests waste naturally in the ground no need for all the bags.

alexgirl73
04-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I use a clean green dog loo, you put it in the ground in the garden fill it with bioactivator it digests waste naturally in the ground no need for all the bags.

I used one of these with my dog, but the stink is horrendous when you take that lid off!!!:shock: Worked well I must admit, but dont think it would work with cat poo as it has the litter stuck to it, so would clog up the drainage holes!

EmmaG
04-04-2008, 10:15 PM
You can get compostable bin bags from Sainsburys now.

random
04-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I flush the poo (and wee clumps) when I scoop it out and when I do a full clean out every other day I bin it all in a black bin bag. I use cat's best which is flushable but I use too much litter to flush it all. I actually used to use biodegradable bags for the dog poo when I had just the one dog but now I have 3 and it costs what? £8-9 for 100 bags compared to £1 for 100 normal bags on a roll and even cheaper for nappy sacks, even at maybe double the price of normal bags i'd consider it but not at 10x the price unfortunately as I do go through a lot of them.

random
04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I think the ones I used to get were cheaper than those though, I vaguely remember them being £1.50 for 20 or 25 bags from Pet Supermarket. This was about 4 or 5 years ago now though.