PDA

View Full Version : Cats - fair game

Kazz
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Following on from Randoms sad post :cry: I wonder if anyone has any opinions on why some "people" consider cats fair game............
Cats are often shot by air rifles...
Dogs set on them.........
Hounded by yobs..........

Is it because cats roam and are not covered as such by the law if you hit a dog on the road you have to report it you don't if its a cat...........

Why do you think "people" consider them "fair game"

EmmaG
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Because they don't own one and no doubt have never been brought up living with them/respecting them.

My OH didn't like cats (not that he would ever hurt one) mainly because his dad didn't like them. He loves them now though :)

Also I think this is more of a 'male' traight rather than a female one, if a female doesn't like them they wouldn't normally harm them

Moli
01-04-2008, 06:30 PM
You are spot on there Emma, some people think nothing of hurting a cat, how many times have you heard its only a cat!!!

babycakes
01-04-2008, 07:31 PM
A lot of people simply don't like cats. They are seen as being sly, weird, creepy, mysterious, smelly, and their connection to witches hasn't helped, someone even told me they didn't like the fact that you could feel their bones when you stroke them??

The lack of education about a cat, having not ownes one, coupled with societies view that 'oh well it's just a cat' attitude dismisses the wrongs caused to cats and their owners.

Kazz
01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I think you're right you know my brother dislikes cats. and has muttered the words "its a cat" like some sort of low life....as a kid he ignored the cats we had, but never hurt them.
He tolerated my two....for many years but eventualy came to "like them" think the years wore him down. :) 25 years of seeing the same cat got to him.

But if he see's cats in the street he will stamp his feet or make a noise to make them move. He has no idea why but even if he stroked one of mine - he shuddered after stroking twice or so, he has since admited the give him the creeps the way according to him they "skulk about"

babycakes
01-04-2008, 07:47 PM
My Oh and previous partners didn't like cats until they owned them but couldn't say why either. It is definitely more a male thing. But they feature on horror films as being screechy hissing and scratching things. Their unpredictability spooks people I think

dandysmom
01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
EmmaG and BC have it spot on! And I agree that while I have heard a woman say "Oh it's just a cat", she would never ever have hurt one; think that's one of those macho testosterone things .......

No offense meant to our male members who obviously are not like that......

angieh
01-04-2008, 08:20 PM
IMO cats are unlike any other domestic animal. With the exception of house cats, they are generally much more independent in their behaviour and are more self sufficient - they don't tend to need their "owners" approval like a dog does and are not normally pack animals. I think that some people see this as a threat because they are not 100% reliant on their people. Lord knows why this should be. That's the very reason I like them so much and respect them.

The "it's just a cat" attitude is also present in many people who wouldn't dream of hurting a cat - as often heard when someone who has loved their cat has been bereaved. Then there is very unfortunately those thugs who persecute animals for sadistic reasons and probably find a cat more easy to get hold of than a dog. It's the same sort of evil that beats up and robs old people. There are a lot of connections between people who show cruelty to animals and those who are cruel to children or other human beings.

Sorry peeps - rant over.

yola
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I never used to like cats. My parents; Dad especially was a dog person rather than a cat person.

That said, I'd never hurt one - I simply avoided contact with them. OH had always had cats, even why I used to stay with him (before we got together) his cat used to annoy me and I asked him to remove it from the room.

Once together and renting, he said we'd get a cat once we owned a home. We've been here 11 years and have had Balie and Fifi just short of 11 years :-D

As you know, I'm now one of the converted to the point where I spend time doing charity work for CP.

dandysmom
01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
IMO cats are unlike any other domestic animal. With the exception of house cats, they are generally much more independent in their behaviour and are more self sufficient - they don't tend to need their "owners" approval like a dog does and are not normally pack animals. I think that some people see this as a threat because they are not 100% reliant on their people. Lord knows why this should be. That's the very reason I like them so much and respect them.

The "it's just a cat" attitude is also present in many people who wouldn't dream of hurting a cat - as often heard when someone who has loved their cat has been bereaved. Then there is very unfortunately those thugs who persecute animals for sadistic reasons and probably find a cat more easy to get hold of than a dog. It's the same sort of evil that beats up and robs old people. There are a lot of connections between people who show cruelty to animals and those who are cruel to children or other human beings.

Sorry peeps - rant over.

I cannot remember where I read it, but it has been said that dictators are never cat people... they need fawning and obsequiousness from animals as well as the people who surround them...cats don't do that!

And it's definitely been proven in many studies that many people who commit atrocious crimes against people started in childhood with cruelty to animals ....:(

The woman I was quoting "just a cat" didn't understand why I was devastated at the loss of my cat years ago .....

random
01-04-2008, 09:28 PM
My best friend doesn't like cats, yet he's supported me all day over what happened last night. He'd never hurt a cat and he was so angry today that someone could do such a thing. Some people just don't like them this is true but no reason to hurt them.

CathyW
01-04-2008, 09:50 PM
my neighbour dosnt like cats, but as shes surrounded by them she puts up with them. and we did say she wouldnt be bothered with mice with our lot about LOL
but our 2 dont stay in her garden as shes got a yorkie who will chase them.

PoshPuss
02-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't mind it when people say they don't like cats, fair enough, I 'm not into birds like OH is. But I hate folk who despise a creature so much they persecute them. Saying that cats are fair game; I take it they mean 'game' in the sporting sense, which is unacceptable. No animal, or bird for that matter, needs to be sportingly shot, stalked, played with for human pleasure in their fright or death. That to me is when humanity leaves the human state and we become less than them.
I'm not a veggie, I enjoy meat, I understand the need to kill for food; just not the 'play-acting' that goes on with it.

Sorry, rant over, now... to cats, live and let love I say :-)

angieh
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Do you remember one of the quiz questions last night???? What domesticated animal is not named in the Bible .... and the answer was "cat". I don't believe that this could have any bearing on the issues raised in this thread, do you?

dandysmom
03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Interesting speculation; sort of akin to the connection with witchcraft bit. But I really thing it just boils down to people with no empathy for others, and that cats are relatively easier prey than dogs, and the "just a cat" attitude from people who know no better.....

Of course there's always the apocryphal Bible story of how the tabby got her "M" forehead marking... not in the Standard canon, but a nice story; wish it were true, and who knows, maybe it was ...:D

angieh
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh do tell Eileen, I don't know the story!

dandysmom
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Quick Summary: It was chilly in Bethlehem and the baby Jesus was restless and crying in the manger. Mary tried to comfort him, but he wasn't consoled. Then a little barn cat came, hopped into the manger and curled up next to Him, purring softly. He dropped off to sleep, Mary was so pleased she stroked the little cat and said henceforth she and all her children forever more would bear an M on their foreheads in memory of that night........

angieh
03-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh lovely Eileen - a bedtime story to go with my cuppa!

It is amazing how consoling stroking a cat can be, isn't it?

dandysmom
03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I know. Studies have shown that it actually reduces blood pressure.......

random
04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Thant's lovely DM, I do wish it were true. x

PoshPuss
04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I'd never heard that story before, how sweet! My grandson Tom just had to check it out on Posh, even tho she's not a tabby, she has a distinct M too.

Darky
13-04-2008, 01:00 PM
On the sex issue - I think that's just an assumption, really. Men are more well known for doing stupid things.

I used to know a girl that boasted that she would instantly run over a cat if she ever saw one, because she inexplicably loathed them.

Mind you, I'm a bloke and so is my fiance, and we love our kitties. C: