PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket trial

angieh
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Under guidance of my OH, I have tried today and conquered photobucket! Here is Merlin asleep, with "ZZZzzs" and a frame. The size chosen was 300 X 264! I can see the sizing and the frame in preview.

Wonder if it will change itself in the days to come!!!!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/005-1-1.jpg

angieh
01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Right - further investigations have taken place, focussing on the fact that Eileen said she could see the frame on the picture of Merlin asleep in the photocomp, and I still couldn't. The problem seems to be with my browser - I generally use Firefox, so have used Internet Explorer this time and I CAN SEE IT TOO!!!! - Problem sort of solved, apart from the pictures actually changing after a few days.

I think I shall pass this problem on to my computer wizard who can pass to Mozilla. It could be a problem they are already aware of, of course!

If any other Catsey members have had problems viewing their photos when using Firefox, could you pm me?

dandysmom
01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Angie, I don't know if I mentioned that I use Firefox.......

angieh
01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Eileen! I am afraid although my computer wizard has tried to explain things to me in much the same way as you would explain something to a child (!) it still doesn't stand up to my (obviously flawed) logic. And I thought computers were logic based! :D :D :D ;)

You may find what follows a bit tedious, so don't feel you have to read it!

[15:16:56] AP says: I would say that when you change a picture on Photobucket it doesn't change the picture's "last modified" date. When Firefox opens the page it asks Photobucket when the picture was last changed. As it is the same time and date as the last time Firefox downloaded it, Firefox doesn't download the picture again, it uses a copy of the picture it keeps in the "cache"
Ctrl-F5 reloads the page and forces Firefox to download the page without using the cache

[15:18:58] AH says: Thanks - I have to say I think that's quite naughty of Firefox! If I understand correctly, it has in fact used the unedited picture that I have uploaded to photobucket in the first place and taken no note of photobucket edits or the overwritten image!

[15:19:48] AP says: nah Firefox is doing what it should be - Photobucket says the picture hasn't changed. It may have worked in IE because IE didn't see the old picture

[15:20:59] AH says: But thinking about that if I use the photobucket IMG code to upload the edited photo, shouldn't that be the actual edited photo that's uploaded? I am getting extremely confused!

[15:31:41] AP says: Yes it will be the edited photo at Photobucked. However a browser will keep a copy of all images that it's "seen". Firefox had seen, and taken a copy, of the old image and noted the date and time it was last changed.

Firefox then said to photobucket:
"What was the date and time this image was changed?"
Photobucket said date "X Y Z" which is the same date and time Firefox has, so it doesn't download the image to save time, and displays it's copy.

Photobucket should be updating the date and time of the image when it was edited - as this feature is "beta" - still in testing - they may fix it in the future

[16:10:13] AH says: Thanks so much for taking time over this and explaining it to me so that I could understand the reason. I have told OH and he said "Why does it work OK in IE then?" but I expect that's a different story!

Presumably I will now have to ask him why it works perfectly well for a MAC user with Firefox too!

By the way, Skype is WONDERFUL!

dandysmom
01-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I have read that, for which thanks.... I sort of think I partially understand it, but not clear about the "cache". Firefox keeps a copy of all my pics in a cache...?

Anyway, congrats on getting Merlin with his frame and ZZZZs !!

babycakes
01-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Merlin looks cute though

angieh
01-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I have read that, for which thanks.... I sort of think I partially understand it, but not clear about the "cache". Firefox keeps a copy of all my pics in a cache...?

Anyway, congrats on getting Merlin with his frame and ZZZZs !!

Yes it does Eileen! It's sort of like a store or history perhaps - no idea what MAC calls it. All I have to remember is if I don't see what I think I should, I should press Ctrl and F5!

CathyW
01-04-2008, 09:52 PM
we can see it just fine, and we run a linux system.

Kay
14-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Well done you. That is a brilliant pic.