PDA

View Full Version : Introducing kittens to adults?

emilianoksa
28-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Our Persian female, Leila, has just completed a journey across three continents.

We bought her as a kitten four years ago in Saudi Arabia. My wife and I normally go for short haired cats, and bought her only out of compassion. Arab pet shops can be distressing places to visit and are best avoided.

We are now completely converted to the breed and devoted to our gentle, timid, amorosa little girl.

Thatīs why we subjected her to a harrowing journey from the Middle East via London to South America, where we live, rather than give her away to another cat loving family. We just couldnīt live without her.

She survived the journey and has adapted well to a new environment. We always wanted her to have a companion, but couldnīt justify the cost of bringing two cats out of Saudi Arabia. We have other financial demands too - mainly from our five chilfdren, most of whom, mercifully, are grown up now.

We would now like to intorduce a kitten to our Leila, in the hope that the companionship of another cat will enrich her life.

Iīve read a lot about the potential difficulties of this, and the best ways to prepare.

What Iīd like to ask you is this: would the sex of the kitten make a great deal of difference? Leila is gentle, timid and affectionate and disappears quickly when she sees another cat. I would never contemplate bringing anothe adult cat into the house.

Iīm prepared to try with a kitten however, and I wondered if sex woudl be an issue. Toms are generallly such big softies, in my experience, and females can be very difficult.

Do you think it would be worth a try to bring Tom into the family, or would we be more likely to have success with another female?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

dandysmom
28-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey! My experience is relatively limited, but I found introducing a male kitten to two adult females was much easier than introducing a female. If the kitten is especially friendly and outgoing, as my little fella was, it shouldn't be too hard. Your Leila sounds like a lovely cat; do post some pictures of her if you can.....

Rosie
31-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I was worried about bringing a kitten into the house as I have an older female (10 years). I decided on a little boy. Rosie definitely put him in his place and Holly my lurcher took only a matter of hours to accept him. I kept him in the spare room for a couple of days and then introduced him into the living room in his cat basket. All went well and now both Alfie and Rosie get on just find and it has brought a new lease of life to Rosie although she only allows him certain liberties without him getting into trouble.

Kay
05-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Welcome to catsey.

As a breeder of Persians I have on several occassions had to bring in kittens and once another adult. All my cats excepted the kittens within a couple of days. A bit of hissing and putting the ittens in order happened but kittens soon learn their place in the household. We did however have a lot of problems with the adult we brought in as there was a lot of dominance issues between her and the others. She is no longer with us but in a household where she is the only cat.
You are wise to bring in a kitten not an adult. Persians by nature are usually very laid back and accepting. I would be tempted to introduce a male but make sure you neuter him as soon as you can. There is less likely to be conflict between Leila and a male then another female. Females tend to be more dominant than the males. Are you going to get another Persian? That would be the ideal companion.

I am sure Leila will except a little playmate. I too have a Persian called Leila, she is a tortoiseshell.

emilianoksa
05-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Thank you for your replies.

My wife and I have been reconsidering our decision. Perhaps we have been confusing our own desire to have another Persian with Leila´s possible need for company.

We are now asking ourselves if she really needs a companion. After all, what we want may not be what she wants.

At the moment she doesn´t have to share our attention or affection with another cat. She is completely spoiled, and may not relish competition from a newcomer.

Several years ago we had an unhappy experience introducing a three year old Bermilla female, Alia, also rescued from Saudi Arabia ,to our seven year old British shorthair in England, Neville.

It was an unpleasant arrangement for both of them, and never worked. In particular Neville had a terrible time, and was bullied unmercifully by a little female who was only half his size. He was too much of a gentleman to fight back. Both cats were neutred by the way.

Eventually we had to separate them. Sadly, Neville, who was a very gentle little boy, died a couple of years ago and well before his time (we often wonder if his unhappiness contributed to his illness) and Alia lives on with one of our children, and continues to bully all the cats in the neighbourhood.

Anyway, that´s by the by.

We´ll give the matter some more thought. I´m still keen to try, but not at the risk of having two unhappy cats. My wife is less keen.

Thanks again for all your advice.