PDA

View Full Version : Ear Tufts!

angieh
27-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I have noticed that a lot of feral type cats have little tufts of hair at the tops of their ears which I find quite attractive (I'm strange like that! :oops: ). Can anyone tell me whether it is a trait of feral types or whether it can be found elsewhere? :D :D :D

pinklizzy
27-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I've noticed it with the feral and semi-feral farm cats that we have in to neuter (we do lots under the CPL schemes) I don't think I've seen it all that much with the 2nd/3rd generation of 'domestic'cats.

Elaine
27-03-2008, 09:28 PM
You might find this interesting Angie. Scroll down to where it says ears.
http://www.messybeast.com/cat_talk2.htm

dandysmom
27-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Great link, Elaine" I love "Messy Beast" have it in my bookmarks!

EmmaG
27-03-2008, 09:36 PM
That is an interesting article Elaine, especially this bit

Slowly blinking breaks up an aggressive stare and is a reassuring signal between cats and between owners and cats. Yawning is even more reassuring!

When I do the blinky eyes at my cats, both of them yawn and respond very well if I yawn back at them.

Elaine
27-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I blink slowly at Eva all the time and gives me this look of "oh get lost" back:lol:

angieh
27-03-2008, 09:49 PM
What an interesting website Elaine. I've bookmarked it for later study. Interesting about the ears!

Oh and Emma - yes, I once unwittingly blinked slowly at a colleague at work, being a "cat person" she said I had given her a cat kiss! :D :D :D I didn't know about the yawns, will go and practice with Merlin. He always blinks back if I blink at him! I wonder if that has anything to do with the reason that yawning is SO contagious - it's an anti-aggression mechanism! I always learn SO MUCH ON CATSEY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

EmmaG
27-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I blink slowly at Eva all the time and gives me this look of "oh get lost" back:lol:

lol try blinking slowly AND yawning!!! that will confuse the little madam :-D

angieh
Actually it was seeing those photos of Topsey that made me think about ear tufts - he or she has them!

EmmaG
Angie, yet us know how you get on, if I slow blink at Bronwyn she is always yawning back at me

EmmaG
27-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Actually it was seeing those photos of Topsey that made me think about ear tufts - he or she has them!

Strange, I noticed that as well

dandysmom
27-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I first read about that blinking "kitty kiss" years ago in a cat magazine I took. Either I do it wrong or I have weird cats, because none of mine have ever responded...this is 6 cats I'm talking about......

Elaine
27-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Right Eileen, me and you, its experiment time:D
We must both blink slowly and yawn at our special girls and see what the outcome is:-D

babycakes
27-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I always blink at Denis and when he is a cute mood he starts the blinking, he winks at me too but that's a different story!!! It settles cats down and is a sign of communication. When I first took Denis to the cattery the lady there said 'I have tried everything with him even blinking!' which I thought was cute as he had stayed loyal to me....

The tufts thing on ears probably attracts more sound waves and therefore is needed if feral

Elaine
27-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Ok, I have tried 3 times now, blinking slowly and yawning at Eva. She just looks at me in disgust and turns away dismissively:lol:

bobbie3917
28-03-2008, 03:07 AM
great site have booked marke it to re-read again

there are a few breeds that have ear tufts such as Maine coons there are about 4 or 5 others sorry i dont know which, maybe there has been the odd pedigree cat fathering kittens

bobbie3917
28-03-2008, 03:19 AM
this is Scarlott one of my old Maine coons she has ear tufts but only small ones most MC have really big 1s

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/bobbie3917/cats/scarlott5m6.jpg

angieh
28-03-2008, 03:04 PM
What a lovely looking cat!

Hreow
28-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Abyssinians have ear-tufts as well, it's one of the breed "bonus features". Being short-hair cats they have no chance compared to those of a Maine coon. :-)

Steph
28-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Cats and ear tufts?-Most interesting. I have noticed over the years that I am starting to grow hair from my ears-it`s most unseemly in a Gent but having spent 20 odd years taking in waifs and strays it makes sense;)

angieh
28-03-2008, 05:24 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So's my OH!!!

Soupie
28-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Both my pedigree Selkirks have ear tufts - in fact many of the breed do and the only "feral" cat in their pedigree was Miss De Pesto of Noface 21 years ago who had one pedigree parent ;)

Quite a few of the pedigree breeds have ear tufts so I wonder if some of them have been sowing wild oats among the ferals/moggies? I've had many farm cats and exferals and I can't say any of them have had ear tufts - I wonder if it's an area thing as well which might indicate the sowing of wild oats too!

angieh
28-03-2008, 11:22 PM
The question of blinking - I have noticed that rather than slowly blinking, Merlin blinks with both eyes at the same time and then sort of screws his eyelids together a bit, which sort of makes his whole face look as if he is smiling! Of course, if you do this back, you can't see what your cat is doing next!!!

babycakes
28-03-2008, 11:35 PM
The question of blinking - I have noticed that rather than slowly blinking, Merlin blinks with both eyes at the same time and then sort of screws his eyelids together a bit, which sort of makes his whole face look as if he is smiling! Of course, if you do this back, you can't see what your cat is doing next!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that counts as being the same thing. He is gesturing.

angieh
28-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh yes BC - and I hope the gesture is not a rude one while I have my eyes closed!!!!

babycakes
28-03-2008, 11:51 PM
It involved two paws on one hand slightly sliding across his cheek