PDA

View Full Version : Warning to all cat owning smokers

Kay
25-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I recently came across this article about the effects of passive smoking on cats and the increased risk of feline lymphoma. I just thought it was worth a mention.

"Secondhand smoke poses risks for every member of the family, cats included. Research suggests that living with one smoker in the house doubles a kitty's risk of feline lymphoma, the most common cancer in cats, which kills 75% of its victims within a year of diagnosis. The risk triples when exposure to secondhand smoke occurs for 5 or more years, and quadruples with two smokers in the house.

Cats get a double whammy from secondhand smoke because they inhale the carcinogens AND they ingest them when grooming. Protect your cat's health by making the inside of your home a smoke-free zone"

A good reason to give up or at least smoke outside ;) .

Kim
25-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that Kay, interesting statistics. I always knew passive smoking was bad for our pets, but I don't think a lot of owners realise this. They can't even object or escape the smoke. :(

Kay
25-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Yes it's quite frightening isn't it Kim. I don't know what the statistics are for dogs or other animals.

candyshandy
25-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I smoke out of the window ;)

MeowMixMe
30-03-2008, 02:01 PM
My mom is the only smoker yet when she smokes the smoke kinda goes all over the house and bothers everyone. But I've never been aware that it can affect cats this much so thanks a lot for sharing this :)