PDA

View Full Version : 2 Older cats need help!

Marley
23-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some help.

A relative of mine has 2 older cats - one being 12 the other older I think, that are due to be PTS on Wednesday. The reason for this is the both of them continually spray even though they have both been neutered. They have been back and forth to the vets and tried various different methods to stop them spraying but nothing works. It's now the vets suggestion that they be PTS as they are old and if they go into rescue will probably end up being brought back over and over for the same reason.

My relative has thought this through for the last two years, she now has an 18 month old baby and one on the way and the cats have even been spraying the pram. She is totally heartbroken that is has come to this but doesn't want them to be put through the stress of possibly being re-homed again and again. I would love to take them on but due to having a house rabbit, a lizard and fish it's not possible. I really wish it was.

I'm trying to find someone who would take them on (probably seperate as they're not exactly the best of friends) that is aware of the problem and is ok with having to clean up after them. Obviously, it would not be good for someone who has or is planning children. The owners have tried to find someone to help without success.

If anyone knows of someone or is that someone willing to take on one of these beautiful cats please pm me. I really don't know what else I can say, we're all absolutely gutted.

Thanks

adelcats
23-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Can I please urge your relative to think about a rescue centre.

I adopted my cat Katie two years ago after her owners had tried everything to stop her spraying. (They had tried for 2 years to stop it). They had had kids and moved house and she got soooo stressed. They handed her into the rescue and I adopted her two weeks later.

SHE HAS NOT SOILED OR SPRAYED IN MY HOUSE ONCE!

All she needed was to be taken out of the environment she was in and she was cured.

As a rescue centre, we often get asked for older cats as older people like them and some people really have a soft spot for them. I am confident that all they need is a fresh start and PTS is not the only option. Please don't think that they would not be re-homed, they would be in time and espcially if they don't get on, they could be split for their retirement homes and live out their lives quite peacfully.

Please please pass this onto your relative and contact rescue centres asap

Where abouts are the cats?

dandysmom
23-03-2008, 09:06 PM
That is excellent advice from Alelcats! Please do consider it instead of them being PTS ......

adelcats
23-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Can I also suggest that you ring Cats Protection Head Office (08702 099 099)where they will be able to disemminate the information to rescues local to your relative. I have cross posted this thread and so i'm trying to find someone who can help. Please keep me informed and if you want, my e-mail is homeacat@gmail.com

Obviously they won't be open til Tueday, but I would urge your relative to wait for another couple of weeks til we on the rescue internet community have a chance to see if we can help!

Jen

Marley
23-03-2008, 09:24 PM
As they are not my cats, it's not my decision. It is the vet that has said this all he can suggest as they really have tried everything. The spraying has been going on for years but obviously with small children to consider it is now a major problem. I have also spoken to a couple of rescues and they have said the same as the vets!

Everyone is truely heartbroken about this which is why I'm trying to find someone to take one of them on permanently. They really don't want them to be put through the re-homing process again and again.

If anyone you know would be prepared to take one of them on on a permanent basis please pm me.

Thanks for the offer of help

babycakes
24-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Why arn't you listening to excellent advice being offered to you from adelcats??

She has given you a phone number to ring. You could pass this on to your relative and I'm sure there are rescue centres in the area she can take them to.

Elaine
24-03-2008, 07:21 PM
I think Marley and Adelcats posted at the same time BC.

Marley can you please give Adelcats more info, time is short and more info is needed in order for people to be able to help.

yola
24-03-2008, 09:05 PM
There is no need to destroy the cats, and if the vet advocates this as the solution he is, frankly an idiot, or just looking at the £££s. You say the cats are not the best of friends, it could be that THIS is the problem - each is trying to overmark the other's scent. Separating them would resolve the problem. There are plenty of older people who would love a single, older cat.

I work with my local Cats Protection and we regularly run successful campaigns homing older cats with older people - even my Mum has benefited from an older cat with very fickle habits - and they love each other to bits!

Please urge your relative to seek alternative advice that from this vet . . . she is being badly misguided.

Kay
24-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I totally agree with everything that has been said so far.

It seems to me to be a stress related issue because of the dislike of each other, as Yola pointed out. They are both trying to prove who is boss by marking. If they were to be found homes individually than this issue would no longer there and so the problem should be resolved.

As for the vet I certainly wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. He obviously knows nothing about cats behaviour.

Please contact a rescue asap.

Marley
25-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. I have passed the details on of a local sanctuary.

Thanks for all your help.

babycakes
25-03-2008, 04:35 PM
There is no need to destroy the cats, and if the vet advocates this as the solution he is, frankly an idiot, or just looking at the £££s. You say the cats are not the best of friends, it could be that THIS is the problem - each is trying to overmark the other's scent. Separating them would resolve the problem. There are plenty of older people who would love a single, older cat.

I work with my local Cats Protection and we regularly run successful campaigns homing older cats with older people - even my Mum has benefited from an older cat with very fickle habits - and they love each other to bits!

Please urge your relative to seek alternative advice that from this vet . . . she is being badly misguided.

Excellent advice Yola

adelcats
25-03-2008, 04:58 PM
It must be really hard for you Marley, being on the outside of everything, but I truely assure you that destroying the cats is not the answer.

Although there are wonderful and dedicated vets out there, there are also ones who are not so great. I really can assure you that we re-home many, many soiling cats and have NEVER had a cat returned to us beacuse the problem has started again.

I know that urgency of the matter is paramount, but you also have not given us much time to give advice. Many rescue centres take in cats in an emergency, but even they need a few days to sort out paperwork and the like.

Please, please give the cats a couple more weeks to try and sort something out. Whatever rescue centres have said to your relative, I can assure you that the problem can be sorted without destroying them.

I hope you don't feel "got at" it's just so frustrating when as a rescue centre we have to put animals down due to illness, cruelty and neglect, and it seems such a waste to put down healthy animals (albeit stressed ones) when, given a bit of time, i'm sure someone can help.

I am still waiting to hear back from some of my rescue centre contacts and I would hate to be a couple of days away from a solution.

Jen