PDA

View Full Version : Socs update

kelly-joy
19-03-2008, 06:17 PM
It is with an extremely heavy heart that we have to post the following update, but as a charity, we believe in honesty and transparency and we know that many of our supporters are following Socs' story and would wish to know the truth about him.

We took the decision to consult another vet and gain a second opinion on Socs' condition, both his asthma and the neurological problems, as the vet he had been seeing seemed unable to give us adequate answers to the questions we had regards Socs' prognosis. Last Friday, 14th March, Socs was examined by two vets at a different practice. They felt his asthma was severe, but that the medication he has been prescribed was good and the best for him. They observed the eye shake and also noted a head shake. Socs also 'jumps' on occasion, as if he is frightened, but when there is no cause or reason for the behaviour. The vets felt that all these symptoms suggest that Socs is having mini strokes and that if this is the case, there is no cure and no treatment. They advised that any head scan would cost upwards of £4000, that Socs would need to go to the Royal Veterinary College at Cambridge for this procedure and that a GA would be necessary. The vets feel that there would be nothing to gain from having him scanned, given their opinion about the cause of the eye shake etc. and that given the severity of his asthma that he would be at great risk of dying during the procedure. The vet feels that Socs is a very unwell Raggie and that the prognosis is very poor. It is likely that he will either have a severe asthma attack, which will lead to his death or that he will have a major stroke. The vet cannot say how long Socs has, but we are to expect his life to be cut very short.

So all there is left for us to do is make sure Socs has his medication and in addition, for us to provide palliative care, ensuring that what time he has left is as happy and comfortable as possible. He has a very good quality of life, in that he is not suffering pain, is eating well, is playing and loves his fusses and cuddles. In every sense, Socs acts like a normal, happy Raggie. With Kelly and Steve, he has everything he needs and is loved as if he were one of their own Raggies. The UKRCC remain committed to funding his needs and making sure he is provided with the very best of veterinary and foster care, for the rest of his life. Should there come a time when Socs is suffering, then the UKRCC will ensure that the right thing is done by him.

We all feel so saddened that there is nothing more we can do to secure Socs the long, happy life we had hoped for him and which he deserves, but we will ensure he knows nothing but love and care for the rest of his life. We hope that he is able to have many more happy times yet and that just maybe, for Socs, there will be a miracle and he will prove the vets wrong.

Please keep this very, special little man in your thoughts.

Kelly and Steve, thank you both, for dedicating so much time to Socs and his needs and for giving him such a lovely home.

Heart felt thanks to all those who have donated towards Socs’ fund. The money raised will be used to continue to fund his medication and other veterinary expenses, as well as anything else Socs needs to make his life more comfortable. We shall provide Socs with the very best of everything, so that during whatever time he has left, he knows nothing but love, comfort and care.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/kelly-joy/7112007076.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/kelly-joy/7112007087.jpg

Moli
19-03-2008, 06:28 PM
So very sad to be reading this, he will be in my thoughts...

angieh
19-03-2008, 07:08 PM
He's such a gorgeous boy. I am so sorry his prognosis isn't better but have no doubt that you and UKRCC will do all you can to make sure he has the best of whatever span he has left.

Mags
19-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Socs is such a beautiful boy and I'm so sad that his future is so unsure.. :(

I can understand how he has stolen everyone's hearts - it is good to know that he is with people who will care and love him and make what life he has left as comfortable as possible.

Comforting vibes being sent to Socs.... x

Fran
19-03-2008, 07:20 PM
:( So sad :( The very best of vibes being sent to Socs and hoping that he beats the odds and goes on to have a very happy and fulfilled life x

babycakes
19-03-2008, 07:31 PM
How very sad, well done to you all for the hard work you have done in looking after socs. He is a gorgeous man He will be in my thoughts XXXX

dandysmom
19-03-2008, 08:59 PM
So sad; he's a lovely boy, and I pray he beats the odds. I will be thinking of him.

PoshPuss
20-03-2008, 07:56 AM
How awful :( bless you Socs, you are in my prayers too

yola
20-03-2008, 10:38 AM
He is such a darling cat, I really hope that the vets are wrong, but I suspect they know what they are saying and this is the sad truth.

Hopefully Socs will confound medical opinion and continue healthy and happy for a long time to come.

Thanks for the update, he has rather a fan base here I suspect :D

alexgirl73
20-03-2008, 11:20 AM
so saddened to read this, but you have all done so much for him. I continue to wish him the very best, and please continue to keep us updated on his progress.

Kim
20-03-2008, 08:48 PM
So sad to read this, Socs, is indeed a lovely boy. I am sure you will make wehatever time he has left, happy & comfortable for him, for that he is fortunate.