PDA

View Full Version : Neighboring cats.....

gemballoon
19-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I have an adult cat who was rescued as an adult by myself. She was bout 3 at the time of rescue and I have had her about 5 years. She has always had a cat flap and needs no litter and this is how I would like it to stay. However, in the last year a neighboring cat has been coming in an eating my cats food. I initially thought it was a stray and posted flyers to the neighbors to ask if anyone owned it, they did and 'kind of' apologised for it but obviously can't just keep the cat in!

This has been going on for the last year an the visits have become more frequent and another cat has joined the visiting list!! I have a cat flap that can be locked either way which i do during the day. This morning one of the cats actually fought to get in so much that it pulled off the cat flap door (and it isn't easy!)

Choices I think I have are -
1) Forget the flap and just let the cat in and out when I am in and out. Not keen because i think it will mean litter coming back in and also she has never not had a flap
2) Get a tagged cat flap, but do they work?
3) Talk to the owner, though don't think they can do anything anyway!

Any suggestions on what to do or how to put the neighboring cats off? My cat doesn't really put up a fight so they keep coming!!!

Thanks in advance, Gem

Mags
19-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Welcome to Catsey :D

That's the problem with cat flaps, other cats can get access whenever they want.. :(

I have a cat flap and used to have the same problem a few years ago. I always lock it now at night with Cassie safely indoors....... also lock it during the day when she is in.

I always have a litter tray down for her day and night.

As long as your cat flap gives other cats access to your house, I think the problem is going to continue:? You could try the magnetic ones, a few members here have them so someone else may be able to tell you how good they are.

Is there any reason why you don't let your cat have a litter tray?

gemballoon
19-03-2008, 12:38 AM
No reason not to have a flap, just not keen as she has never had one and I live in a small house where I don't really have somewhere to put it away from household life, if that makes sense! She is an outdoor cat in summer but stays in in winter(sensible cat!) so the problem will prob go away over summer, but who knows. thanks or your help
G

Mags
19-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't encourage the other cats to come in.......if they do, you could discreetly use a water pistol on them as soon as they poke their heads through the flap .....they will soon get the message that something happens when they try to get in ;)

Good luck!

Moli
19-03-2008, 12:42 AM
The problem is, if you leave the flap open any cats that are visiting now will always do so, the only way is to lock the flap and let your cat in and out, and get her a litter tray....
I had one that kept visiting, he was a stray though, and he has now moved in permantely...Although I do not mind he is a lovely boy...

Steph
19-03-2008, 01:54 PM
There is no easy answer as cats will always come a place where they feel welcome. We have cat flaps and the rules are simple.

1-if Cleo likes you ,you are welcome

2-If she doesn`t then neither do I-a water pistol is very handy.

3-If you are an intact tom and `mark` then woe betide I can catch you cos it`s away to the vet;)

Rosie
19-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Do you know anyone with a dog? If it could come round for a few hours and let it out the back the smell and a possible sighting might be enough to put the cat off.

Erin
19-03-2008, 04:51 PM
The water pistol sounds like a good idea.

I dont have this problem as we have 2 dogs so no other cats other than our own attempt to use the cat flap.
We VERY rarely have other cats in our garden,if they are brave enough they may come and sit on the top of our shed for a while to wind the dogs up,but Choc can jump pretty high for a small dog so they dont hang around for long :roll: :lol:

northern lass
19-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I have the same problem, since the cat flap went in, next door's Tom sneaks in a eats Max and Oli's food.

I am thinking of upgrading to a magnetic flap (when I can get to the pet shop !!) - in the mean time Max and Oli seem to eat alot faster and if I see the thief I chase him out (if the kittens are around they do that too, but he seems to strike when they are dozing upstairs :? )

MrsH
19-03-2008, 05:15 PM
We've had this problem for a while with next-door's lovely cat, coming in and pinching their food. My cats are a little intimidated by her so they just step back and watch her, sometimes they come and tell us that she's here so that we can chase her away.

We've tried various ways to deter her without being too unpleasant (our neighbours are genuinely very nice people) I hope that when we get our dog later this year the problem will solve itself.

diskinc
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I've got to opposite problem, an overweight cat that doesn't seem to lose weight no matter what I do. I do wonder is he is sneaking into a neighbours house and eating their cat food. The problem is he needs to go out to get some much needed excercise.

I think the main issue with the magnetic flaps is that the barrel thing must be in the right place at the bottom of the collar. If the collar has moved round on their neck they don't work.

What about those Infrared cat flaps?
http://www.staywell.co.uk/pages/small.php#