PDA

View Full Version : Question about cattery stuff

tilly
18-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi
I am planning to start a cattery in my garden:-D :-D . It as you can imagine is going to be small. I am hoping to get in the four cat pens that will hold two cats each. I am hoping to put a wooden sliding door in between each pair so that they could be used to house more than two cats if nessicary (sp?). I want to start with just two double pens and see how it goes. I also want a saftey corridor. The space is 12 foot deep by 23 foot wide.
The question are does anyone know where to get cattery pens for a reasonable price or anyone who can make a cattery pen? I have tried ebay and am keeping an eye on there as well as ringing lindee-lu who are far to expensve (they were going to cost over £2500 each double pen!:shock: :shock:!) and pedigree pens who cost the same as lindee lu. So any other idea would be great or if anyone has pens they doen't want please let me know.

I am also on the look out on where is the best place to get cattery supplies realtively cheaply/wholesale, as I could if it saved me alot of money I could store cat things at my parents as they have loads of out buildings.

Also what licenses are needed I have checked that planning isn't needed as the cattery is so small and will only hold 8-10 cats when fully built.?

Any ideas on how I can do this would be great recieved.

I have done a cattery management course (whiched I passed with distinction:-D ;)) and subscribed to kennel and cattery management magazine to see what that holds.

Hope it is OK to ask and looking forward to picking all the brains on here.

thank

sally

Moli
18-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Think Dawn is the best one to speak to Tilly, she has boarding kennels..for both dogs and cats...

sarahd
18-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I have a breeder friend who makes catteries and cat pens etc. He is very reasonable and being a cat breeder himself knows the importance of certain things being put in place and being safe. I think he will be much cheaper than the price you have been quoted anyway.
The link to his website is
http://www.pads-n-paws.co.uk/index.html
He is based in Nottingham and he is called Rick. If you pm me I can forward on his mobile telephone number to you.
I also had a triple run with a safety corridor made from a gentleman in Northumberland. The courier service would have been £50 but I think in this case you had to put it up yourself but it came pretty much flat packed from what I can remember and took my husband, dad and father in law to put it up so this may not be a practical option for you.
He doesn't have a website but again if you pm me I can forward you his contact details
I know for cattery supplies ie beds, litter trays etc Batleys Cash and Carry are really cheap but they can be sticklers when giving out cards. They are usually dotted about all over the place.
Sarah
x

borderdawn
19-03-2008, 11:35 AM
You need to speak to your local environmental officer BEFORE you order or buy anything. ONLY they will tell you what type of pens you can have, how big they must be etc... If you are boarding that is. You need to run your "plans" by them first, because if they dont agree you will of wasted all your money. You will also need to take in account, access to your property, parking, your neighbours being caused a nuisance by visiting people, noise (yes people do complain about cats) smell and general inconvienience to those around you.

tilly
19-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Rung the enviromental people and they say it is OK to do and are sending the license and info.
I am hoping to offer a collection and drop off service for cat coming to board. I have spoken to my neighbour and he is OK and the people on the otherside are leaving. So I will bring it up with the new people. I hope to be able to stagger any people dropping off their cats so as to minimise trouble caused to the neighbourhoood.

Anymore advice is welcome and greatfully recieved

Sally

Steph
19-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I have no experience on catteries but I do run a `hobby business` selling plants. It`s very small so nobody bothers but do be careful about your premises changing it`s status,and check that if people have some kind of public access that your insurance covers it.

Sorry if I sound like a moaning Minnie but it`s always better to check