PDA

View Full Version : Lice? Fleas? I don't know x_x

MeowMixMe
18-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Hello...
I'm a cat owner who freaks a lot like a parent over a baby.
I'm sure we all do that...At...Some point xD (I hope)

My cat is almost 10 years old now and for the first time I'm starting to see black spots under her mouth/chin. I called the vet and he said it was lice and we got the spray and all. So I just tried it on her and she freaked out, I couldn't spray it on her cause the actual spray just goes all over the place and might contact her eyes/mouth so I just sprayed it on a sponge and applied it on her chin. She backed away, got some on her mouth, started licking non stop and I believe I got it all wrong. I'm truly horrible at it because I'm too afraid to do anything to her really, she owns me more than I own her I think O_O She's one tough scratcher as well! I was wondering if there is any alternative way of doing such a thing? Perhaps if there are any pills or syringes? I asked my mom about it and she said the vet said theres nothing like that but I'm not sure if she's telling the truth or not :P I'm going to call the vet tomorrow but I just wanted to ask and maybe see if any of you have gone through a similar experience. Oh and she got injected with a syringe thingy about 2 months ago for her usual checkup so...I don't know if that helps but I thought I'd mention it. Please help? Thank you so much :)

CathyW
18-03-2008, 07:41 PM
when mine had a few *lodgers* i used the drops in between their shoulders.plus i had a nit comb, (fine tooth comb) and just combed through them everyday, not only did it get the loose fur off them, it cleared them of the eggs and fleas.
but wash her bedding regulary. and anywhere else she sleeps.
you can get front line flea treatment from the vets. but not sure on what the set up is in jordan.
nice to *speak* to you BTW

Steph
18-03-2008, 08:08 PM
DONT PANIC

It`s not likely to be fleas-you would see them-mites possbly?. A cream will soon sort those out,just be calm,kind and confident when applying it

dandysmom
18-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I've had no experience of cat lice (they are not the same as human lice!). so Googled and found this link which is informative....

http://www.helium.com/items/364877-dandruff-first-might-mistake

Hope you find it helpful.

dandysmom
18-03-2008, 10:17 PM
You know, my first reaction on reading your thread was feline acne. That's a perfect description: black spots under the chin. I notice that you said "called the vet"; did she diagnose lice over the phone without seeing her patient?

Maybe I'm reaching here, but it would be a shame to treat her for the wrong thing...do give us an update...

MeowMixMe
19-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Ah well, the vet didn't visit, it was over the phone so I guess thats not really good. I might as well find her a suitable medicine for cats and get the vet to come take a look. The spray was for humans, I guess that link said a lot for me so thanks a lot :) Hah...And bm, she doesn't really have a bedding, she's one of those cats that go into picky moods and sleep wherever they like all over the house xD Its hard to find out where that silly girl sleeps nowadays :P

All in all, you guys have cleared a lot out for me, so I've appointed for the vet to come in tomorrow to take a look and hopefully she wont be running around...She hates vets too much. Amazing how they can suddenly smell the vet the moment he/she enters the door and they flee off to some corner where you can't find them o.o Thanks a lot, truly =) I appreciate the help and I'll surely keep you updated!

dandysmom
19-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm amazed that you have a vet who makes house calls!! :shock: Almost unheard of here in the States; it would be a blessing if there were; all of my cats but one have been utterly terrified of a visit to the vet!

As to bedding, my Leia, and her predecessors, technically had a bed/beds, but like yours slept where they wanted, 90% of the time with me!

Glad we were able to be of some help to you; please do let us know how things go...and I still suspect feline acne..:-D !

angieh
19-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I've learned something new here - I have never heard of feline acne. Hope your wonderful visiting vet (quite rare in UK too, unless of course you pay rather a lot) can say definitely what it is. Please let us know the outcome!

Kay
19-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Like Eileen I would say it is feline acne. Hopefully some a/b's can clear it up. To help prevent it it is best to use stainless steel or ceramic food and water bowls. You could try bathing it with warm water and bicarbonate of soda mixed together. Bicarb is an excellent cleanser.

MeowMixMe
30-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Thank you guys for all the replies. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, schools been hectic. :(

So the vet came in and all and it turned out to be Dermatophytes, she probably got infected through the cats outside. She got a syringe and all, poor cat went ballistic and was crying and yelling at the top of her....Kitty lungs, her voice went around the whole house and back lol. She was in pain, lasted for a minute though, not too bad, but Tubby is a tough to deal with when it comes to the vet. The vet gave me pills and a prescription for some cream to help make it go away, he said it should go away in 2 - 4 weeks :) So yeah, we'll see what happens ^_^ Anyone else's cat gone through this before?

angieh
30-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for letting us know the diagnosis - I had never heard of a dermatophyte before, so looked it up and here is the link in case anyone else is interested!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatophyte

Hope it clears up soon!

dandysmom
30-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for letting us know the diagnosis - I had never heard of a dermatophyte before, so looked it up and here is the link in case anyone else is interested!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatophyte

Hope it clears up soon!

I'd never heard of it either, Angie, thanks for the link. Very informative, a nasty little fungus, isn't it?

Glad Tubby is doing better, and thanks for letting us know, MeowMixMe!