PDA

View Full Version : pilling a cat

Tink
16-03-2008, 03:53 AM
tips/tricks?
here's the deal.

tigger's old vet mixed the prednisone with the amoxi for me..it's all liquid but i still have a heck of a time giving it to him as he is very old and grumpy.
so i knew i was low on this stuff..did all the vet transferring records stuff...and the new vet didn't have any of the liquid pred on hand so they gave me pills this time and said if i really find it impossible they can order the liquid.
he doesn't like treats..i can barely get him to be excited about food as it is...so that won't work.
i still have some of the old stuff left but it'll run out in a few doses...
so, how should i do this without stressing an old and sick cat out?

Elaine
16-03-2008, 10:55 AM
My old Winston hated his preds too and he was a very good cat to pill. I just gave it the routine way, open his mouth, pop pill in and stroke throat till he swallowed. He didnt like the taste but he was a very good boy and didnt stress at all which was an advantage.
How about some oily fish? Something that diguises the smell of the pill?

Soupie
16-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I have a little pill popper from the vets which is a bit like a syringe shape and you put the pill in the end and then use the plunger to pop it into their mouths - very quick and gets the pill right to the back of the throat :)

Steph
16-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I used to scrunch the tablets up in a few drops of water and then syringe them down the throat.

Not very dignified but it`s quick and saves getting the odd scratch

Tink
16-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I used to scrunch the tablets up in a few drops of water and then syringe them down the throat.

Not very dignified but it`s quick and saves getting the odd scratch

that was my idea...since he isn't interested in any treats or food when offered..i was thinking crush it enough to put it in a syringe of some water and give it to him like i do his liquid meds (very quickly).

Elaine
16-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Prednisolone should not be crushed. To crush them damages their slow release formula which can be dangerous.
Thats what i was always told by the vets.

Soupie
16-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Prednisolone should not be crushed. To crush them damages their slow release formula which can be dangerous.
Thats what i was always told by the vets.

Echo this ...... my boy was on prednisolone for 3 months and we had no probs with a pill popper. Prednisolone can taste bitter as well as I hate to imagine what crushed in water would taste like :(

Steph
16-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Fair comment-I do not know the drug in question, was just giving a tip

Tink
16-03-2008, 09:35 PM
okay..it'll only be half a pill a day and the pills are fairly small..i'll try the back of throat thing (though he clenches his jaw shut even with the amoxi which is why i was worried)..i guess i can hold his mouth shut till he swallows but i read somewhere not to do that because cats actually need to open their mouths to swallow...does that ring true to anyone?

angieh
16-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Never heard that Tink. Once you have managed to get the half pill as far to the back of his throat as possible (you may need your partner to hold the cat steady if you find he squiggles about) just hold his jaw closed firmly but gently and stroke the underside of his throat to stimulate the swallowing action. Shouldn't take long, but be careful - some cats can "hide" the pill somewhere in their mouths and spit it out later - though probably if the pill is bitter this shouldn't be too much of a risk! Good luck - let us know how you get on.

dandysmom
16-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I rather doubt that, Tink...everything I've ever read about pilling says to hold the mouth closed and stroke the throat till the cat swallows. We can do it, and their anatomy isn''t all that much different....

Elaine
16-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Steph, dont take it badly, its just that some pills are formulated for time release and therefore shouldnt be crushed.
Tink, what I used to do was hold Winstons head up a little, not actually holding his mouth shut, and stroke his throat. Its the same with Eva and Bernie when I have to worm them etc. Sometimes they manage to spit it out but you will be amazed at how quick you become and how much easier it gets to pill a cat.

Mags
16-03-2008, 09:45 PM
okay..it'll only be half a pill a day and the pills are fairly small..i'll try the back of throat thing (though he clenches his jaw shut even with the amoxi which is why i was worried)..i guess i can hold his mouth shut till he swallows but i read somewhere not to do that because cats actually need to open their mouths to swallow...does that ring true to anyone?

Tink, when you've popped the pill in his mouth, gently stroke him on his throat with his chin raised (if the pill has gone to the back of his mouth, there will be no need to hold his mouth closed)........keeping stroking until you feel him swallow and with luck it will have gone down!

dandysmom
16-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Never heard that Tink. Once you have managed to get the half pill as far to the back of his throat as possible (you may need your partner to hold the cat steady if you find he squiggles about) just hold his jaw closed firmly but gently and stroke the underside of his throat to stimulate the swallowing action. Shouldn't take long, but be careful - some cats can "hide" the pill somewhere in their mouths and spit it out later - though probably if the pill is bitter this shouldn't be too much of a risk! Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Every single cat I have ever owned knew how to do that!!!

angieh
16-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Echo this ...... my boy was on prednisolone for 3 months and we had no probs with a pill popper. Prednisolone can taste bitter as well as I hate to imagine what crushed in water would taste like :(

I have always wondered about these - you have obviously found them helpful, but I would worry about the possibility of scratching the cat's throat especially with the first use. Much easier with an elderly cat with little fight in him (my Merlin for example) but with a young feisty animal???

Elaine
16-03-2008, 09:57 PM
http://vetmedicine.about.com/c/ht/00/07/How_Give_Cat_Pill0962935140.htm

This link might help a little.

dandysmom
16-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Good link, Elaine; I'd forgotten the butter part!

Tink
16-03-2008, 10:23 PM
k, i feel much more prepared which is good cuz he's getting to the bottom of his liquid prepared meds..i think i'll prob end up throwing it out after tonight's dose as it's getting to the point i have to tilt the bottle quite a ways to get the syringe full up..will let you know how i do..thanx for your advice and feedback!:D

dandysmom
16-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Good luck! .......

Tink
16-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Good luck! .......

with as cranky as he is, i'll need it..:D
thanx!:-D

Soupie
17-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I have always wondered about these - you have obviously found them helpful, but I would worry about the possibility of scratching the cat's throat especially with the first use. Much easier with an elderly cat with little fight in him (my Merlin for example) but with a young feisty animal???

You don't stick the pill popper down their throat though - just between their front teeth and it "pops" the pill onto the back of their throat.

I have managed with a crotchety old cat who fights anything and my youngster who had tablets 3 times daily for 3 months and no scratches or injuries ;)

angieh
17-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks Soupie for clarifying this for me. Sounds like a good idea!

dandysmom
17-03-2008, 04:02 PM
That was very illuminating, Soupie, thanks! I had no idea that was the way they worked; will look into getting one as Leia, as you may know, is impossible to pill!

pinklizzy
17-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Another tip is, once you have got the pill into the cats mouth ;) , is to blow (gently!) onto the cat's nose-it helps to encourage a reflex reaction to swallow.