PDA

View Full Version : i have a confession

Tink
14-03-2008, 04:30 AM
so i'm thinking i'm gonna get bashed for this as i'm bashing myself and feeling like a hypocrite.
i totally rag on people giving up their pets...but i rehomed the goats last week. here goes the explanation...

i admit, the goats were an impulse thing. i was going through a lot of issues and i think i wasn't in the right state of mind and my boyfriend just wanted to make me happy and said i could get them.
i've never had livestock before and i've found over the last two years that it's hard for me to bond with an animal that is always outdoors.
my original intent was to let them wander inside the house but then i got a wake up call when i saw how thirty pellets of poop could fall out of a goats butt at any random time and scatters everywhere quite well on hardwood floors.
also, the upkeep of their pen in washington weather and my physical issues..i'm not physically disabled..i tend to everyone in the house quite well..but the raking of the wet hay in the rain or snow turned out to be quite more of a workout than i thought. i function but some things that are still being investigated in tests cause me to not really do strenuous exercise very well for long periods of time.
i know it's all my fault. i made all the mistakes that i complain about other pet owners doing which is why i feel like such an utter hypocrite. as i re-read the above, it all sounds like a lot of excuses doesn't it? maybe i should own up to it and just point blank say "i figured out that goats just aren't for me".
anyway...on to the rehoming...
i posted an ad just to see what was out there..my most important thought was not money, it was to see if there was a better home for them...turns out there is a couple down the way that just bought five acres of land and has three children...they want to start a farm and the first things on the list were goats and chickens. they got the chickens a few weeks ago and the kids go nuts just staring at them. they are so excited.
i talked to the wife..she's a stay at home mom..she said she'd probably even let the goats wander in the house and they'd have an extragavant shelter outside for when they weren't in the house (something i haven't been able to accomplish). she said she wanted to make sure i was willing to do this before telling the kids because they would just get so excited and be heartbroken if i didn't follow through. when i called, the husband and wife sounded so excited like they had been waiting for my call all day.
so, i gave them to them for twenty bucks. i didn't want to be greedy but i could really use twenty bucks for some food for my other new kids (the elderly cats i took in..they are starting to really eat a lot more now that i switched them to a quality food).
the husband came by and i helped him load them up on his truck and gave him all their papers...hugged them and said goodbye.
i feel like a jerk..but i think this is the best thing.
he told me where they live so i could drive by and see them in the pasture (which beats my backyard by a landslide).
i feel a little sad but i feel it's for the best. plus, i admit, a little relieved as i've been thinking about it alot lately and the guilt has been riding on my shoulders that they are not getting the best care possible...(something i evaluate with every one of my babies in my home on a daily basis).
i don't feel comfortable unless i feel every critter in my house is spoiled to the max...and well, the goats weren't in bad conditions but they weren't in the BEST ones and that's what mattered to me. i've never rehomed an animal before..it's usually a commitment for life.

i admit i did something irresponsible when getting them. but i hope my rehoming was responsible enough to cancel it out and not have you all think less of me.

*waits to be attacked*...
-tink

Fran
14-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Don't beat yourself up over this, we all make mistakes and the main thing is that you recognised you had made a mistake and have done something to correct it. It sounds like the goats are going to have a great life and nice for you that you will be able to drive past and see them from time to time.

Well done for making the decision to re-home them. It can't have been an easy decision. I know first hand how very difficult outside animals can be with regards to the work involved espcially during the winter months and I consider that I am in A1 health. You made the right decision. You should be giving yourself a pat on the back for doing the right thing by them. {{{Hugs}}}

angieh
14-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I totally agree with Fran's comments, Tink. You really have nothing to blame yourself for. You made a mistake getting them in the first place, but you have certainly made up for it by finding them a lovely home. Better for you and probably better for the goats and a lovely addition to the other family where they have gone to live.

Tink
14-03-2008, 01:03 PM
thanx, i do feel it's best for them and for me as well. it just wasn't a fit. i've never experienced that with having an animal before..so i just felt really bad. but then i thought, their happiness is more important than my feelings so i needed to put those aside and just do what was best for them...then deal with my feelings later. the animals have to come first.

Mags
14-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Tink, I certainly don't blame you for rehoming your goats. When you first had them your boyfriend knew your love for animals, knew you weren't too well and, bless him, decided you could have the goats hoping it would give you something to concentrate on and therefore help you healthwise.

What neither of you realised was the time and effort that was needed to look after them. Fortunately, only the best is good enough for you and your animals and you made the important decision to try to find a better home for them with someone who could give them time and space.

The couple who have taken them on sound ideal ........ they have the time and the space to give the goats a good life and it's great that they are nearby and you'll still be able to see them:D
((((Hugs))))

alexgirl73
14-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Exactly what the others have said Tink. Having had to rehome my wee dog a few years back, I know how incredibly hard it is to give up a pet. But like you, I found a wonderful home for her, with a lovely lady on her own, which was exactly what Tia needed and she is very happy there. I still get updates on her from time to time and it was the right decision for her ((hugs))

Tink
14-03-2008, 03:42 PM
thank you everyone for being so supportive. i felt rather ashamed to tell everyone but you have all been so understanding...*hugs all*

dandysmom
14-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I can't say anything more than the others have said, Tink, agree completely! You realized it wasn't a good fit so found them a lovely home! IMO it shows maturity to recognize the situation and change it for the better...don't beat up on yourself!

babycakes
14-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds like you did completely the right thing Tink. You have found them a good home and the benefit of hindsight is just that.

Tink
14-03-2008, 06:25 PM
thanx..i am just usually on the "rescue" end of things..not the one rehoming...i guess at least i learned my lesson..livestock is just not something for me..at least not now with the current situation. i wouldn't consider it again unless a lot of things changed (i.e. new house, better health for me physically, etc.).
i'll stick to babies that i can keep indoors and i know won't be a strain to care for (for me)...

Elaine
14-03-2008, 09:25 PM
No bashing from me. You took on more than you could handle and did the responsible thing by rehoming them. We all live and learn;)