PDA

View Full Version : holistic remedies for the older cat..

Tink
10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
i've grown quite fond of holistic nutrition. i have kuan yin on some supplements that seem to have really made substantial differences (all natural).

i now have the two seventeen year old cats. i'm going to investigate further for remedies for the older cat. i've already ordered 17 books from the library for research. my favorite book when i first got kuan yin was "the new natural cat" so i've reordered it to read it again.

these two are so much older that i really don't want to do any procedures with conventional medicine in the future if i can avoid it.

so, if anyone has any references or tips in the holistic area, i'd gladly listen.
i'm just looking at natural remedies to improve their condition and maybe even increase what time they have left.

thanx,
tink

Mags
10-03-2008, 08:03 PM
That's very interesting Tink, I don't know anything about that subject at all but will be interested in any information you can tell us about it.

I hope you can find something that suits your two oldies...

Moli
10-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Maybe find something in here Tink...

http://www.holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/

dandysmom
10-03-2008, 08:54 PM
And are any of the books you've ordered from Dr. Michael W. Fox? He's a nationally known vet with a strong interest in holistic medicine...writes the Animal Doctor Column...and my former neighbor! A terrific guy: he took that pic I've posted here of me walking Sultan. See if you can find anything by him; here's a link...

http://tedeboy.tripod.com/drmichaelwfox/index.html

Alibris used books has most of his books in stock; couldn't find one for cats holistic medicine listed; there is one for dogs.....hope this might be helpful..

Elaine
10-03-2008, 08:57 PM
The o0nly things that I have any sort of experience in is Slippery Elm Bark and Rescue Remedy.
This is a very good article on SEB, thought you might be interested, especially as they are elderly cats.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

dandysmom
10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Tink, I went back to that site I linked to look at it again, and he has a new book out called Cat Body Cat Mind which has a chapter on holistic feeding,,,see if your library has it; I'm going to check mine; sounds very interesting!

angieh
10-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Definitely worth looking into Tink. Thanks for those links Moli, Dandysmom and Elaine. I also think homeopathic remedies are worth a try too.

Tink
10-03-2008, 10:08 PM
thanx, everyone! of course i'll be keeping tigger's swelling around the tumor down with conventional medicine but if i could increase health or the immune system in other ways, i'd like to try.
also, cuddles is rather thin and i was wondering if i could somehow give her appetite a boost..she just nibbles here and there..but i suppose that's an older behavior..hmmm.

Tink
10-03-2008, 10:13 PM
oh, i just got a link from someone else..maybe you all who are interested too would like to look at it?
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

dandysmom
10-03-2008, 10:14 PM
thanx, everyone! of course i'll be keeping tigger's swelling around the tumor down with conventional medicine but if i could increase health or the immune system in other ways, i'd like to try.
also, cuddles is rather thin and i was wondering if i could somehow give her appetite a boost..she just nibbles here and there..but i suppose that's an older behavior..hmmm.

Depends. I think. Misty was 19 1/2 when she passed, Patches was 20, and despite their ages both ate like stevedores! And Misty was blind also, but she loved her food, old or not!

Tink
10-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Depends. I think. Misty was 19 1/2 when she passed, Patches was 20, and despite their ages both ate like stevedores! And Misty was blind also, but she loved her food, old or not!

true..tigger (her brother) eats like a horse..it's very individual i suppose.

p.s. i have bookmarked all your links, thanx again! if you want, i can also update with any other links i get on other forums too..if anyone is interested in this stuff.

Tink
10-03-2008, 10:20 PM
The o0nly things that I have any sort of experience in is Slippery Elm Bark and Rescue Remedy.
This is a very good article on SEB, thought you might be interested, especially as they are elderly cats.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

oops, i just realized i just added the same link...LOL.

Tink
10-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Tink, I went back to that site I linked to look at it again, and he has a new book out called Cat Body Cat Mind which has a chapter on holistic feeding,,,see if your library has it; I'm going to check mine; sounds very interesting!

thanx so much! i just found it and ordered it..should have it within a day or two!:D

dandysmom
10-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Great! It's not in our library system here, so think I'll have to order it on Amazon. Hope you like it; I have several of his books, one autographed when he used to live down the street!

babycakes
10-03-2008, 11:44 PM
It all sounds very interresting. I would like more info please Tink as and when you get it.