PDA

View Full Version : Iodine therapy

KEGANTESS
09-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I am new on the forum and in 1 month my 13 y.o. is going in for iodine therapy and I am so nervous, I wanted to know if anyone on the forum has had this done and there experience with this treatment for hyperthyroidism.

alexgirl73
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi there. I've no experience of this myself but I'm sure someone will be on soon who has. Welcome to the forum.

KEGANTESS
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
thanks i am so nervous she has to be there 4 day 3 nights

alexgirl73
09-03-2008, 03:11 PM
aww poor baby. You will be more nervous than she will I'm sure. But she'll be in the safest of hands no doubt.

KEGANTESS
09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah I just want her to feel better she has always been a little on the chubby side and to see her weight loss is killing me. Other than that her health is great. I have read alot on line testominals etc. and this seems to be best treatment.

babycakes
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Welcome to Catsey. I don't know anything about iodine therapy. I haven't even heard of it. I'm sure your baby will be ok X

dandysmom
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey! Sorry your intro is about your girl's health; I'm not familiar with the problem, but several members are knowledgable about thyroid problems; hopefully someone will be on soon who can discuss it ......

Mags
09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
A warm welcome to Catsey :D

I've no experience of this either, I'm sorry to say ........... I hope someone here will have some knowledge of it.

Good luck - I'm sure it will all go well...

Kim
09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey.

I haven't any personal experience of iodine therapy, have you googled it? My cat has just had a thyroidectomy, the vet didn't suggest iodine therapy for her thyroid problem. I would ask you vet about all the options available, pros, cons etc.

dandysmom
09-03-2008, 07:59 PM
As I said when I posted earlier I wasn't familiar with this; being curious I Googled and found an interesting article to share with those of us who are clueless like me:

http://www.avmi.net/newfiles/hyperthyroidism/Hyperthyroidism.html
http://www.avmi.net/newfiles/hyperthyroidism/Hyperthyroidism.html

Scroll down toward the end. This is very informative, and certainly sounds safer and noninvasive! I think I'd definitely discuss this with my vet if my cat was ever diagnosed with hyperthyroidism....
The downside of her being away for long enough for all the radiation to be gone is sad, but beats surgery!

Edited: sorry, the link isn't working; maybe type it in...??

KEGANTESS
10-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Thanks, My baby will be fine I was just curious of any person experiences and the after math. I have done extensive research on line about the treatment. It truly is the best CURE method for hyperthroidism.

KEGANTESS
27-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I wanted to give the update on my Kegan. Boy it has been a long and frustrating road. My poor baby was mis diagnosised she is NOT hyperthyroid therefore of course didnt have iodine therpy. This vet came so highly reccomended and is in the snooty area of North Scottsdale which costs a fortune just to walk in the place. Anyway she is going to my old vet who said this cat is not hyperthyroid but said the food Royal Canin SO she was eating was making her sick. My 2 yr has a struvite stone and needs this food and I was assured by the vet that Kegan could also eat this food which was not true.

Kay
27-04-2008, 04:10 PM
So glad that Kegan was misdiagnosed even though it has cost you a fortune. Unfortunately some vets are in it for money and not the welfare of animals. I would definitely stick with your old vet from now on.