PDA

View Full Version : can't sleep at night

danits_24
05-03-2008, 02:33 PM
hey,

I have a big problem with my three cats...

during the evening, when we are all on the couch, watching T.V they are sleeping like babies, but the minute we go to bed, they start scratching the door and hitting it to get in.

Of course it doesn't stop when we let them in, couse they always feel like going in and out of the room during the night and we can't realy sleep.

Leaving the door open is not posiable because we have a dog to and the bed is not that big for all of us... :D

I will be very happy if someone can help my come up with a solution.

Thanks

PaulaB
07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
hey,

I have a big problem with my three cats...

during the evening, when we are all on the couch, watching T.V they are sleeping like babies, but the minute we go to bed, they start scratching the door and hitting it to get in.

Of course it doesn't stop when we let them in, couse they always feel like going in and out of the room during the night and we can't realy sleep.

Leaving the door open is not posiable because we have a dog to and the bed is not that big for all of us... :D

I will be very happy if someone can help my come up with a solution.

Thanks

Feed them in the kitchen and shut them in! If its far enough away you will not hear any noise and they should get used to it after a while.

Elaine
07-03-2008, 08:55 PM
You might also want to try waking them and playing hard before bed time and also feeding them bofore bed time too.
Hope you get some sleep:D

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I was going to suggest the same, but Elaine beat me to it! A good romp and full tummies might slow them down..... let us know what you try and any success.....

Rosie
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I have a dog and two cats and it is far easier to just leave the door open. They don't necessarily want to sleep on the bed but just have access to see you. Rosie has a sheepskin on the floor by my bed which she often sleeps on but mostly she sleeps on the stairs at night. Alfie does try to find a small spot at the bottom of the bed but if that is not possible will go in the spare room. They just really do not like closed doors.

babycakes
12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I couldn't leave the door open of a night as Denis just gets up and down on the window ledge and he isn't dainty either. He then runs from window to window if he sees a cat. Or he bites my feet in the hope that I will get up.

You will have to persevere I'm afraid and they will get the message eventually. Denis used to sit outside the door and cry and howl, then scratch the door. He gave in after about 3 months though. He now jumps at the handle when it's windy but I don't mind letting him in then as he is terrified of the wind

northern lass
18-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I have the same problems, when you want to curl up and sleep the cats want to play.

I did let Max and Oli in to my room at night - sometimes they would behave, but more times than not Oliver will scratch the sealent from my window and Max will attack my feet, so I shut the door :mad:

This seems to work until about 6 am when Max cries to be let in (Oliver sleep on my daughters bed, unless she is away then I get a duet :roll: )

I think they become creatures of habit and know exactly how to wake us up or get attention. - I guess we all know who is in charge in the cat human relationship :) - but for the sake of a good night sleep you have to be cruel to be kind :?

melzy
12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
one of my cats does this to every morning:( He scratches the window to get out then in when im sleeping, 4 oclock this morning and i was up a 5 oclock for my work.An hes not done it for a wile but when my alarm goes off to get me up for work i cant hit this snooze as he walks right on to me and meows right in my ear till i get up.My other cat doesnt do this just him .i cant get a cat flap as i stay in a flat.

babycakes
12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
I think you will have to perservere as they are trying to train you at the moment. In the long run it is worth buying some ear plugs til they get the message that you are not giving in I'm afraid

Rosie
14-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Just another thought, my cats are both outdoor so they tire themselves out during the day and lots of fresh air and they sleep really well at night. If I had to choose about who I would shut out of my room at night I think it would be easier to train the dog!

JBalways2000
14-04-2008, 05:20 PM
i made a very similar thread to this about a month ago and have just updated because we are finally being able to sleep. we feed them about an hour before lights out so their bellies are full for the night and we have now allowed them all to sleep in for the night. there was a few days of excitement at first but they are settled in to routines now,with the occasional disturbance but il take that over being woken at 3am every morning and kep up all night:shock: all cats really are the same arent they? we are their slaves! :lol:

if you worried about them piling on the bed you could always get a couple of soft cat or dog beds for the floor to tempt them?