PDA

View Full Version : If I'm not around tomorrow evening

Elaine
04-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Its because i have been taken to casualty with some major lacerations to my throat:shock:
Eva desperately needs a manicure which is gonna be fun fun fun.

Moli
04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
You are a brave lady Elaine, I will visit you with some grapes!!;)

Erin
04-03-2008, 10:57 PM
:lol: :lol: good luck with that!!!!

seriously though really hope you manage to get it done without to much stress and without any injuries!

Mags
04-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I hope you can still type tomorrow Elaine to let us know how it went! :-D

Elaine
04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
She really hates any one touching her feet and gets into such a state at the vets that they want her sedated evey time she goes in. I am not happy to do that. I just managed to feel one of her back feet when I was chatting to Erin and felt that a claw had grown in a funny angle. Put the phone down to have a better look.
Oh no the Diva wasnt having that. I managed to get hold of her and have a good feel of the claws on her hind feets. They really do need clipping. She whined and grumbled the whole time I had hold of her. I didnt talk or pander to her and she remained still while I had a good feel and she didnt struggle, just growled and whined as she does.
So tomorrow evening I must take the bull by the horns or the Diva by the back legs:lol: which ever:lol:
Wish me luck.
Moli grapes would be lovely and maybe a magazine too:lol:

dandysmom
04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh dear!!! Lay in a supply of bandages and antiseptic ointments.....

CathyW
05-03-2008, 10:29 AM
ive got savlon and plasters if u want them LOL

angieh
05-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Why hasn't anyone invented a straightjacket for cats, one so that you can inspect one leg at a time?

Good luck Elaine - I shall be thinking of you.

alexgirl73
05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
best of luck Elaine. Do you want some lucozade bringing as well lol!

Rosie
05-03-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't know if this is any help but my friend who is a cat/dog groomer, when she has a cat with "issues" about being groomed, puts a sock over their head.

She says it instantly subdues them and she can get on with what she has to do, suppose you could try it.

Liz
05-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I do hope you both come through this unscathed and that whilst you are reaching for the valium the gorgeous Eva the Diva will get a nice treat to wether she is good or bad!!!!

dandysmom
05-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Why hasn't anyone invented a straightjacket for cats, one so that you can inspect one leg at a time?

Good luck Elaine - I shall be thinking of you.

Brilliant idea! ........

angieh
05-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I can sort of see the picture in my head - La Diva in a straightjacket with a sock on her head and Elaine quickly and efficiently trimming her nails! (with no blood or other injuries to either party)!!!! :D :D :D :-D

Let's hope....... Elaine are you OK?

Moli
05-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Anyone know when "The Diva", was going to the vets???

pinklizzy
05-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Angie H- that has been invented! It's called a cat-bag, the cat is placed in the bag and zipped up into it along the back. There's a zip at each corner so that you can pull a leg out if needed! We use them a lot at work, the cats tend to calm down a lot quicker in 'the bag'!
I'll try and find a picture/link!

Mags
05-03-2008, 07:53 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee58/aznglitter/img/i1/1465.gifCatsey has sent an ambulance on stanby to Aberdeen ........just in case the Diva doesn't behave! :-D

Moli
05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Therre has not been anything on the news....

Elaine
05-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Here I am, unscathed, cancel the grapes etc for the time being.
We only got one paw done and she almost caught me a beauty across the face but wasnt as bad as I have seen her at the vets. I held her and gave Graham the job of clipping. I held the paw i wanted done first and he began on the other:roll: . We'll get the other one done tomorrow night, fingers crossed and then we will start on the front ones.
She got some buscuits after and a fuss.
I wouldnt dare put a sock on her head, one time at the vets they tried to put a small dog muzzle on her to hide her eyes and she hit the bloody roof, hyperventilating and everything.
Its my beleif that if I hold her, and because i am not scared of her, that makes alot of difference. Ofcourse she grumbled and tried to swipe me once or twice, I just dodged the swipes and remained calm.
I'd rather it took us 4 days to clip all four paws than have her sedated for it.
I did try on my own last night and had to wrap a jumper round my hand as she went mental. Easier with two people.:D

dandysmom
05-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Glad it went successfully; one paw at a time beats sedation any day! I cannot imagine trying to put a sock on Leia's head; think that would be disastrous...:shock: :roll: :-D

angieh
05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Angie H- that has been invented! It's called a cat-bag, the cat is placed in the bag and zipped up into it along the back. There's a zip at each corner so that you can pull a leg out if needed! We use them a lot at work, the cats tend to calm down a lot quicker in 'the bag'!
I'll try and find a picture/link!

More info on this if you have it to hand - I never imagined such a thing was actually in existence!

Elaine - so glad you are unscathed - wise to do a paw at a time! Good going. :cool:

Mags
05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Well done Elaine.....and Graham...... the next session will be a piece of cake ;):-D

Elaine
05-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Well done Elaine.....and Graham...... the next session will be a piece of cake ;):-D

Well the next session will either be the same, better or really bad:lol:
Tune in tommorow evening for the cats claws revenge:lol:

Liz
05-03-2008, 09:45 PM
After the claws is worming next and can we have a web cam on!

My money is on the gorgeous Eva the Diva and not her doting parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Elaine
05-03-2008, 09:48 PM
After the claws is worming next and can we have a web cam on!

My money is on the gorgeous Eva the Diva and not her doting parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eva may be the Diva but mummy wins every time, well almost:roll: ;)
By the way Liz, can you write me a reference please for NARP?

Mags
05-03-2008, 09:58 PM
In case anyone else is interested in cutting their cat's nails this link explains all .......

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1391&articleid=817

Elaine
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Good link Mags but it neglects to tell you how to handle a Diva puss:lol:
Actually Erin and i were talking about this earlier. Think I am gonna get the clicker out and some prawns coz Eva actually HATES you to touch her paws at all.
The article also doesnt mention cats with black claws, I have never been nervous about clipping their claws but Bernie does make me nervous as he has black claws and you cannt see the kwick on them at all. Oh and he's very wriggley.

Mags
05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
I suppose the obvious answer to clipping black claws would be to take a tiny bit off each time ........ anything off would be better than nothing even if it was just the tips..

Elaine
05-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes thats true;)
I think I'll start a different thread though when it's Bernie turn coz its a whole different ball game with him:lol:

Why cannt all cats be like Winston was and just let it all happen?:roll: I miss that laid back guy xxx

pinklizzy
05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/CATS-Cat-Grooming-Bathing-Bag-Restraint-System-MEDIUM_W0QQitemZ270216479913QQihZ017QQcategoryZ117 420QQcmdZViewItem
This is a link to a bath-bag on e-bay, cat bag is similar but not made of a mesh material.

Elaine
05-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Ingenious:lol: Ofcourse you'd have to get the Diva into the contraption first, any one care to try?:-D

Erin
05-03-2008, 10:54 PM
:lol: nope ill leave that to you :lol:

pinklizzy
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
There's definately a knack to it, you need to be quite quick to do up the zip!

dandysmom
05-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Ingenious:lol: Ofcourse you'd have to get the Diva into the contraption first, any one care to try?:-D

:-D No thanks, I'll pass! Not suicidal! Leia is bad enough, no way would I tackle the Diva.......

Elaine
05-03-2008, 11:01 PM
:-D No thanks, I'll pass! Not suicidal! Leia is bad enough, no way would I tackle the Diva.......

A wise and sensible decision Eileen:lol:

dandysmom
05-03-2008, 11:03 PM
A wise and sensible decision Eileen:lol:

Hee hee, I am a wise, sensible and cowardly cat person........:-D

Elaine
05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Hee hee, I am a wise, sensible and cowardly cat person........:-D

Not at all Eileen, you just know your own cat and how to handle her, but hey you would be welcome to come visit and I'll teach you how to handle the Diva? Poor Erin has no idea what she's up against :lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
That cat bag is indeed ingenious! Are they generally well used or thought of by professional groomers or vets does anyone know?

I have to admit never having tried to trim Merlin's claws and his back claws could do with a bit of seeing to - they do tend to clatter on the floor! I only ever did Smudge's once and that was a dew claw that had curved backwards - just a quick snip with clippers - she was a dear any never minded me touching her feet, in fact I could wiggle my finger up in between her pads and she didn't even squeak.

dandysmom
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I'd love to meet you, Graham, Bernie and the Diva, But would be content to admire her from afar! No hands on...

And you have that slightly reversed: Leia knows how to handle me.........:-D

Elaine
06-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Second hind paw clipped with success and I am still here to tell the tale;) ;)

Erin
06-03-2008, 08:27 PM
brilliant,how was she?

Elaine
06-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Bad tempered, growling but she didnt swipe me this time.:D

Erin
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Bad tempered, growling but she didnt swipe me this time.:D

well thats always good :lol:

angieh
06-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Well done Elaine -d'you think she might get used to it?

dandysmom
06-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Congratulations! Slow but sure does it......

Elaine
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Well she hasnt hyperventilated like she does at the vets, so I am well chuffed. Just goes to show that we do know our cats best and I am pleased she wont ever be sedated for such a petty thing as claw trimming.
We start on the front claws tomorrow, that may well become a totally different tale;)

dandysmom
06-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Good luck! Will await the report...and maybe get some grapes and a magazine just in case .......:-D

Elaine
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
How vry thoughtful, thankyou;)

Elaine
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Claw clipping canceled fr this evening coz I have knackered my back and am in agony.:(

angieh
07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Oh dear poor you - what did you do? - I don't expect you to answer this and that you're lying down and not looking on Catsey this evening. Fingers crossed you're at least not in agony tomorrow. ***HUGS***

Elaine
07-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm in bed, on the laptop Angie:lol:
Got caught up in a dog fight yesterday and I think I must have wrenched my back as I jumped up to stop it, cannt think of any other reason for it.:?
Eva is very pleased that she has a repreave though:lol:

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Oh ouch! A wrenched back is so painful; hope you've put some linement or a heating pad on it!! Do you suppose Eva asked her friend dear Merlin to do a wee spell for her.....:shock: anything to escape the claw clipping....:-D

Elaine
07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh ouch! A wrenched back is so painful; hope you've put some linement or a heating pad on it!! Do you suppose Eva asked her friend dear Merlin to do a wee spell for her.....:shock: anything to escape the claw clipping....:-D

I think she has a direct hotline to Merlin and his spells:lol:

Elaine
07-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Are those grapes and lucozade still on offer coz I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself;)

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Virtual white seedless grapes and this month's Catnip newsletter are on the way! Naughty Eva!!! Dear Merlin is one powerful wizard; we had best stay on his good side......

Elaine
07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Maybe I could persuade Merlin to put a spell on Eva to make clipping the claws on her front feets easier:lol:
Angie, how easy is it to win Merlin round if your human?:lol:

angieh
07-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Merlin has promised me on his honour that he would NEVER cast any spell that led to anyone suffering pain - not even to stop Eva from having her claws snipped. He had such a lovely soft look in his eyes when he told me that (well I knew he wouldn't anyway) that I know he's telling me the truth.

He said he would think about whether there is any way to make clipping her front claws easier, I expect you've tried a few drops of Back Rescue Remedy in her water bowl?

Sounds as if you could do with a few drops yourself Elaine! Hope you manage to get a reasonable night's sleep.

What were you thinking of intervening in a dog fight - I'm told a bucket of cold water is the only thing to use.

Elaine
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I couldnt possible have thrown a bucket of cold water over the sofa:lol: . Besides Tally had eaten the bucket:roll: .
I just reacted coz it idnt look like they were gonna stop and they are big dogs, so I grabbe one by the collar and put her out of the room until they had both calmd down.

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Merlin has promised me on his honour that he would NEVER cast any spell that led to anyone suffering pain - not even to stop Eva from having her claws snipped. He had such a lovely soft look in his eyes when he told me that (well I knew he wouldn't anyway) that I know he's telling me the truth.

He said he would think about whether there is any way to make clipping her front claws easier, I expect you've tried a few drops of Back Rescue Remedy in her water bowl?

Sounds as if you could do with a few drops yourself Elaine! Hope you manage to get a reasonable night's sleep.

What were you thinking of intervening in a dog fight - I'm told a bucket of cold water is the only thing to use.

But sometimes you act before you think! My Siamese got into a fight in my back garden with a strange tom; I knew better but acted instinctively and grabbed him.....ended up in the ER getting a stitch and a rabies shot! Had the scar for years!

Elaine
07-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Oh dear god, I bet that was painful. I'd probably have done the same thing.

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Whoops, I mis-spoke! It was a tetanus shot! The rabies shot was years ago when the dog bit me,,,,and hurt like hell! But it was just the first of the series: police located the dog and it was current on its shots....

angieh
07-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Ouch! Actually, my next door neighbour said the same - she knew better than to intervene when her little terrier bitch went for a couple of lurchers that were being walked past her gate and one got the terrier by the throat. There was such screaming and going on that I went to see what was going on and ended up craddling the bleeding terrier in my arms whilst my neighbour went to get the car to take the dog to the vet. The two women who were walking the lurchers (again neighbours) were more than useless - probably both in shock. No one else came near. My neighbour is a sensible woman well used to animals of all sorts and said she couldn't help wading in - her bitch was in danger. All ended OK I'm glad to say.

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Exactly! My boy was being attacked by that huge tom and I never stopped to think!
And besides, who has a bucket of water handy?

Incidentally, apologies to Merlin for even thinking he would do anything other than white magic! Mea culpa!

Elaine
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Whats Mea culpa?

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Sorry. Latin: My Fault. I was raised Catholic and forget sometimes that everyone didn't have Latin in school...:oops:

Elaine
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Dont be sorry, I enjoy learning new things:D

angieh
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry. Latin: My Fault. I was raised Catholic and forget sometimes that everyone didn't have Latin in school...:oops:

Although not a Catholic, I attended a convent for 11 years. I do remember Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! They're great ones for fault, those Catholics.

I have asked Merlin to forgive you and he says he will think about that too! (He thinks an awful lot these days - but doesn't DO an awful lot!)

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 11:16 PM
At his age he's entitled ! Don't know if you saw this in another post: my Mom always told me that the little fold at the outside bottom of a cats ears was where they kept their spare thoughts for a rainy day......

Elaine
07-03-2008, 11:18 PM
At his age he's entitled ! Don't know if you saw this in another post: my Mom always told me that the little fold at the outside bottom of a cats ears was where they kept their spare thoughts for a rainy day......

Aww thats a lovely thought:D

Elaine
09-03-2008, 05:26 PM
It's not happening, the whole front claw thing is just not going to be clipped any time soon.
She went spare last night, thrashing around like a wild thing, so I just let her be. This afternoon we tried again, she is not having any of it, she is making it hard to get her claws by pulling then in tight:shock: , growling, hissing, spitting and Graham is now testament to the fact that she has a lovey set of gnashers:roll:

Erin
09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
oh dear poor baby :( and poor Graham.

Hopefully the clicker taining will help a little :?

dandysmom
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh dear! I do think you need one of those kitty bags...... but could you get her in it? And of course the mouth and all the fangs are still there......

angieh
09-03-2008, 11:57 PM

I did see that! It's lovely - always wanted to know what those little folds were for!

Sorry Eva is not co-operating - have you tried putting something (like a towel) over her head first to see if that calms her? I 'spect you've tried everything possible apart from putting a chewy toffee in her mouth. Poor Graham - how's a clicker going to help him Erin?

Elaine
10-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Well we tried the towel trick this evening.:? Still not happening, she went mental and attacked poor Bernie although I did manage to just nip the end off of one dew claw, so I supose it wasnt all a big loss.
The idea with the clicker Angie is that, I have clicker trained Eva a little so she will will jump up, if i say up and down if I say down and if she really feels like it and I have juicy enough prawn she will sometimes give me a high five when I ask. So what Erin and I had talked about was using the clicker training to sort of try to desensitize her to allow me to touch/hold her paws. Gotta be worth a try.;)

angieh
10-03-2008, 09:58 PM
oh dear poor baby :( and poor Graham.

Hopefully the clicker taining will help a little :?

Well we tried the towel trick this evening.:? Still not happening, she went mental and attacked poor Bernie although I did manage to just nip the end off of one dew claw, so I supose it wasnt all a big loss.
The idea with the clicker Angie is that, I have clicker trained Eva a little so she will will jump up, if i say up and down if I say down and if she really feels like it and I have juicy enough prawn she will sometimes give me a high five when I ask. So what Erin and I had talked about was using the clicker training to sort of try to desensitize her to allow me to touch/hold her paws. Gotta be worth a try.;)

Sounds like a great idea! It's just the way Erin wrote it originally, I thought it was to help Graham! duh :oops: