PDA

View Full Version : Spring is here and Merlin is moulting!

angieh
02-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Yes he is!

I was wondering (apart from special grooming for showing and long haired cats that need daily seeing to) whether those of you with short haired cats groom or not?

I usually do when Merlin is moulting as it spares him from scaring the life out of me by chucking a furball and my thinking he's having a vomiting fit! I usually just use a soft brush - he's not too keen on the comb.

What do you do?

Moli
02-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I groom all my cats, my exotics, Leo & Merlin have short coats but very dense and fluffy they can moult for Britian, I use a furminator on them...

angieh
02-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I groom all my cats, my exotics, Leo & Merlin have short coats but very dense and fluffy they can moult for Britian, I use a furminator on them...

Excuse my ignorance Moli -what's a furminator?

Mags
02-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I comb Cassie every day, use to brush her but found the comb much better for getting the loose hair out.

I have a furminator too but don't use it through the winter as being a short haired outside cat, I think she needs her full winter coat...

Moli
02-03-2008, 10:14 PM
http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-deShedding-Tool-4-Inch-Edge/dp/B000PU31MY

Most of the members have one...

dandysmom
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I have always combed mine daily; they are/were indoor only cats, but I do it not so much for the grooming part as much as a bonding thing...they love/loved it, and it was a part of the nightly routine. And of course getting rid of the loose fur was an additional bonus.

Leia, being indoors, doesn't grow much of a Winter coat ..

Do look into the Furminator grooming tool...cannot recommend it too highly! One of the members got one; that started us off and a large number of us have them now...you cannot believe the amount of loose fur you get the first time you use it!

babycakes
02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
None of my cats, especially Denis has liked being brushed until I got a Furminator.....He rolls around and goes all soft as soon as I show him it, it's very strange and I get a lot of fur off him.

dandysmom
02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Angie, here's a link to a very long (10 page) thread about the Furminator last year when we were discussing it...very funny going back and looking at it now! When the Forum is sLow sometimes this might amuse you...

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22846

Steph
04-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Cleo is a short hair but she just loves being combed-now here is a question-she is black and white-but it`s mostly only black fur that comes out

dandysmom
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
You have stumped me, Steph! :shock: Never heard of that..

angieh
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Me neither Steph!

I did take a look at that thread dandysmom - members do seem to be over the moon about the Furminator and I noticed that even cats who don't like being groomed (Denis for one) don't seem to mind it. A minor miracle or what - did seem a wee bit pricey to me, but I suppose it depends on how much grooming you have to do. Thanks for sending the link.

dandysmom
04-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Glad you enjoyed the thread...I seem to remember that one or more members got theirs on eBay considerably cheaper ........

angieh
04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Ah - good tip. I'll look there, thanks!

angieh
05-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Just to let you know I have ordered mine from eBay at a realistic price! (See Mags thread about Furminating!) Thanks for the tip dandysmom - I tend to forget about eBay being useful too - just get it coming up on any and every search I do and I get fed up with it!

dandysmom
05-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Glad you got one reasonably! I hope Merlin will love it as much as Leia does: I suspect it feels very good to them, hence the purring! When will yours come? I look forward to the report..

angieh
05-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Not quite sure when it will arrive - but it gets posted 1st class, so hopefully won't be too long. I'll keep you posted!

angieh
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I received an email from the seller today saying my purchase has been posted 1st class!

dandysmom
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Woo hoo! Can't wait to hear how Merlin likes it and the amount of fur that comes off.......

angieh
06-03-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm really not expecting too much fur - but I think it'll help Merlin as he is still scratching and I Frontlined him last on 29/02 - maybe I'll find he's got some other passengers that I don't know about.

Soupie
06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I only comb the curly boys when they have a lug in their fur and never never at any other time but I brush Portia daily when moulting - very therapeutic and she loves it ;)

angieh
07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
The Furminator arrived this morning. What excellent service - OH tried it out and there was a little bit of fur, but I'm going to have a proper "go" later on - Merlin is fast asleep at the moment. He's been a bit hyper this morning and couldn't settle down, so I'm glad he's having a rest now.

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 05:19 PM
That was fast service! I'm glad the old dear is having a good nap, bless him! Hope he enjoys it.......

CathyW
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
ronnies looking a bit tatty so hes due for a good old grroming session, he loves being combed out, reggie hates it and does a runner as soon as the kitty comb comes out.