PDA

View Full Version : Chico - the dilemma

yola
01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Since my vet visit this morning, I've been really concerned about bringing a new cat into the house. The Vet thinks it's a very bad idea (please see my thread in Health). With Balie's rather odd and erratic behaviour; I neglected to mention that in addition to the pooing, he's also become even more jumpy that usual in the last 4/5 days :( .

I really, really want to have Chico with us, I think it'd be great for the boys to have a cat that might play with them rather than just sleep and hide (both boys are very gentle and considerate of the cats), but I don't want to stress either Chico or Balie; I definitely don't want more poo on my carpets - health hazard with 2 small kids rather than preservation of carpet is my concern, yet I don't want to let Alex, Kelly and Chico down by bottling out.

What to do? I'm really so very torn here - my heart says that things will work themselves out - all the cats will be fine long term, or certainly will maintain their current levels of behaviour . . . head says don't add stress to a situation where you have 2 older cats whose health might be faltering. HELP!!!

alexgirl73
01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I honestly dont know what to advise you Yola. If it was me I'd probably go ahead with taking Chico. It probably wont make too much of a difference to your other ones as Chico is such a laid back boy, but you have to go with your own feelings on this one. ((hugs))

dandysmom
01-03-2008, 10:09 PM
A dilemma indeed! You said there had been no change in routine and that Balie had been more jumpy than usual the last 4-5 days: isn't that the time your OH has been home sick with the flu? Just a thought....
Don't think of it as letting Kel, Alex and Kazz down: they won't, I'm sure. The well being of your own two has to be paramount.
That said, I'd go with my heart and take Chico.......

kitty cat
02-03-2008, 11:15 AM
ive been following the chico thread and think if your having second thoughts you shouldnt have him.its very easy to say you will still have him but more difficult to say you dont especially if you feel your letting people down. but by the look of chico i think he will be easily re homed.and dont bother what anyone thinks it is a big commitment

smudgley
02-03-2008, 11:25 AM
You have to do what is right for you & your family & your own cats.
Personally if I was you & having trouble with my cats toilet behaviour - I wouldn't bring another cat into the home. But you know your situation better than anyone else.

If you decide not to have him, he will just go to the lady who was origionally going to have him.

You won't be letting anyone down & you must do what feels right.

I would love you to have him & I know Alex would as it would be great to hear updates about him & his cheeky ways, but if he is going to upset things at home, maybe it's not the right decision to have him.

It's up to you & we are behind you all the way, whatever you decide.

Elaine
02-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I personally think it may be wise to concentrate on your existing two for the time being as a new addition may well open a whole new can of worms.
Chico will be fine and does have another option so its not like he will be left in the cold as it were.
It would be so lovely if you could take him in and i know every one here was very excited for you all but you must do what you feel is right and as Kelly said, we will all support your decision.
All the best xxx

yola
02-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to be watching Balie today and will try to make the best decision, I'll obviously let Kelly know as soon as.

The good news is, Balie used the litter tray on the top floor - It could simply be that he's too lazy to walk down 4 floors from where he sleeps to where the trays are (in the basement). I hope so :D

angieh
02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
That's good news Yola - four floors is perhaps too far to go when you want to go ..........

dandysmom
02-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Encouraging news about using the upstairs tray ......

yola
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
OK. Decision made. And not an easy one, it's taken 18 hours longer than I thought it would. I tried to call Smudgley earlier to tell her, but there was no answer from her phone.

I can't take Chico. :( I came home today, went up to see Balie and he's been throwing up mushed food again - not just furballs. He also missed the new litter tray and there was poo on the carpet again :( Something is obviously troubling him and I can't inflict anything further on him that will (a) unsettle him and (b) undermine him.

So it's with a heavy heart - as I genuinly wanted to give this little Persian chap a home, that I have to back out. I hope he has a great new home waiting for him with the lady that was originally lined up to take him.

I just hope you don't all think I'm some kind of game player because I'd hate that as it's not the case. Something is wrong with my old boy and I don't want to rock his little boat.

dandysmom
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm sorry, Yola, as I know how much you really wanted that lovely boy, but Balie's health and wellbeing do come first; you don't have much choice. Poor little guy, I hope he's better soon...sending cuddles to him and a hug to you.......

yola
03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Thank you Eileen. It was really the most hellishly difficult decision.

However, I do want to say, if this other potential owner can't or won't take him for whatever reason, I WILL and I'll make sure things work for all concerned here; cats and people!

Smudgely - please let me know if any such problem does occur.

Moli
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Think we all know how much you wanted Chico Yola, but Balie must come first, and the last thing you want to do is upset him....Hope he settles soon...

smudgley
03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
OK. Decision made. And not an easy one, it's taken 18 hours longer than I thought it would. I tried to call Smudgley earlier to tell her, but there was no answer from her phone.

I can't take Chico. :( I came home today, went up to see Balie and he's been throwing up mushed food again - not just furballs. He also missed the new litter tray and there was poo on the carpet again :( Something is obviously troubling him and I can't inflict anything further on him that will (a) unsettle him and (b) undermine him.

So it's with a heavy heart - as I genuinly wanted to give this little Persian chap a home, that I have to back out. I hope he has a great new home waiting for him with the lady that was originally lined up to take him.

I just hope you don't all think I'm some kind of game player because I'd hate that as it's not the case. Something is wrong with my old boy and I don't want to rock his little boat.

No worries Yola.
We all understand.

Kay
03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
So sorry you had to make this decision. It must have been awful. I think you have done the right thing though. You need to concentrate on Balie at the moment. Hope you get him sorted soon. {{{Hugs}}}

Mags
03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
I can imagine how awful you must feel at the moment Yola, we know in your heart you really wanted to give Chico a new start in life but your family and your cats health and welfare must take precedence ............ when all is well again, I hope you will get another chance to offer a home to another "Chico"..

I hope Bailie will be feeling better very soon..

angieh
04-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Sorry Yola - I know that you did not take this decision lightly and we all understand your reasons. Hope Balie settles soon, perhaps he has picked up some vibes and will calm as you do. Let's hope so.

candyshandy
04-03-2008, 12:32 AM
I can completely understand your decision and I'm sure Chico will have a fab home.

My lot sending you are yours furry headbutts.

xxx