PDA

View Full Version : HELP with a potential new name for Chico?

yola
26-02-2008, 08:28 PM
OK, I'm not sure if Chico really floats my boat as a name :shock: Just been chatting about it with OH who intelligently suggested Groucho :shock: . . . he's a Marx Bros fan :roll: I like Theo as a potential name as it has a similar balance to Chico.

Would love some alternative suggestions for a name - I don't want to move it too far from Chico as I don't want to confuse the poor fella, but just something a little more fitting and a little less, well, whimsical!

Maybe we can put it to a vote early part of next week :D ?

Kazz
26-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Hmmm will have a think I did actually think of a name for him while collecting him as the name Chico did not suit him in my opinion.

But its not like Chico will have a think about a name similar to Chico.

yola
26-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Karen, if it's a name not like Chico I'd still like to hear it. I'm sure he'd get used to it quickly enough, and if it's right for him them he'd HAVE to get used to it; poor thing ;)

dandysmom
26-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Funny, I was thinking about that last evening: Chico just doesn't really fit with Fifi and Balie...and he doesn't look like a Chico. That said, I can't think of a better one, but will let my subconscious work on it a bit...

Mags
26-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Cujo
Cody
Churro
Toro
Toto
Chai

or a bit longer..... Cataccino :lol:

alexgirl73
26-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Now see that's exactly what OH and I said about his name lol, he needed something more dignified. He thought something like William or Colonel lol, 'cause he looks like one!

dandysmom
26-02-2008, 09:58 PM
He does look dignified in his pics. Pasha, Roi, Louis (French pronunciation), or maybe another Sultan .....

yola
26-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Pasha is a super name :D I'm quite liking Toto aswell!

Keep 'em coming please!

Moli
26-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I love Sultan....sounds really regal...

yola
27-02-2008, 10:45 AM
With Sultan I'd have to corrupt it to Sultana :shock: just my odd sense of humour I suppose . . . I can just see Chico being called 'my little sultana . . .' as a term of endearment :-D

dinahsmum
27-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Is Chi-Chi girlie? Probably
Choo-Choo? No, that's silly.
Actually, if you want to change his name I think you should "just do it". He doesn't know the sound c-h-i-c-o is his name - he doesn't even have a concept 'name'. He just knows that in his old house, the chico noise meant it was in his best interest to pay attention where the noise was coming from. If it turns out that the noise 'saucepan' leads to nice things happening in his new house, he'll be happy to adapt!
Good luck!

alexgirl73
27-02-2008, 01:39 PM
lol@DM! Just imagining him running to the sound of Yola calling 'saucepan din-dins!'

angieh
27-02-2008, 02:43 PM
I went back to the other thread about Chico being rescued and looked at his face. I have to be honest and admit that it's a face that I personally couldn't actually love (so sorry to those of you who obviously do - it's all a matter of taste) but nevertheless my subconscious came up with "Kashmir" - so I offer it like a small mouse to say sorry for my uncharitable thoughts!

yola
27-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Aw Angie - Chico will be SO upset when I tell him ;)

Seriously - don't apologize please, cats and their appeal are such personal things - just think there are some people that actually don't like any cats :shock:

Kashmir is a good name too, I'm thinking these eastern sounding names actually work quite well. I guess I'll know for sure once I meet him :D

angieh
27-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I know a poor person who doesn't like ANY ANIMALS AT ALL. She has a definite phobia and gets uncomfortable when other people talk about animals. She is OK with birds and insects though. It's not her fault and I do pity her. I think a world without animals would be a horrible place.

When is Chico coming to live with you Yola?

yola
27-02-2008, 04:36 PM
When is Chico coming to live with you Yola?

I'm picking him up on the 5th of March (a week from today).

I have a terrible phobia of birds. Will cross the street to avoid a pigeon or even a feather :shock:

dandysmom
27-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Is Chi-Chi girlie? Probably
Choo-Choo? No, that's silly.
Actually, if you want to change his name I think you should "just do it". He doesn't know the sound c-h-i-c-o is his name - he doesn't even have a concept 'name'. He just knows that in his old house, the chico noise meant it was in his best interest to pay attention where the noise was coming from. If it turns out that the noise 'saucepan' leads to nice things happening in his new house, he'll be happy to adapt!
Good luck!

I love your posts! Always a breath of good common sense!!! And every time I look at a saucepan I shall probably chuckle now...:-D

angieh
27-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm picking him up on the 5th of March (a week from today).

I have a terrible phobia of birds. Will cross the street to avoid a pigeon or even a feather :shock:

So you've got a week to decide on his new name!?

Can I give you a real scare .....

now don't read on if this will really upset you Yola .....

I peed on a pheasant in the dark once, well I think it was a pheasant!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

yola
27-02-2008, 07:40 PM
PMSL Angie (but not on a pheasant).

Best thing that could have happened to it IMO, either than or being roasted ;) You think it was a pheasant???? :shock: How much beer had you drunk ;) ;) ;)

Anyway - ahem; back to the serious business of a name for the fluffy one . . .

Kazz
27-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry Yola meant to answer before but this is the name that came to me as I looked at him Carbonel

And as well as that I kinda like the name Oliver for him.

Kazz
27-02-2008, 07:43 PM
In fact I really like then name Oliver for him.

Wait til you see him you may get a name that jumps out at you, and I agree with DM, any name will do mine would respond to anything and respond even quicker if I tap metal onto a china saucer/cup.

Mags
27-02-2008, 07:54 PM
A few more .......

Zemar (lion)
Soroush (happy)
Philo
Ramzee

angieh
27-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Where did you get those from Mags? I particularly like Soroush - sounds like a happy super fast cat.........

dandysmom
27-02-2008, 09:07 PM
In fact I really like then name Oliver for him.

Wait til you see him you may get a name that jumps out at you, and I agree with DM, any name will do mine would respond to anything and respond even quicker if I tap metal onto a china saucer/cup.

Small world, Kazz, that's what I do also: tap a fork on Leia's water bowl rim...it makes a noise like bone china, and it's her signal to come eat (if she isn't there already waiting impatiently!)

yola
27-02-2008, 09:38 PM
A few more .......

Zemar (lion)
Soroush (happy)
Philo
Ramzee

I really like Philo . . . not sure why

Mags
27-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Where did you get those from Mags? I particularly like Soroush - sounds like a happy super fast cat.........
I googled Middle East names :-D

dinahsmum
28-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Shah? - that's all the persian I can think of
Don't suppose Armadinajhad appeals?
And I guess you wouldn't care for Batman, as a tibute to my favourite Iranian (Persian) Camilla Batmanghelidjh and her wonderful charity Kids Company?

angieh
28-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I really like Philo . . . not sure why

Nothing to do with pastry I suppose Yola? :D :D :D

yola
28-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Nothing to do with pastry I suppose Yola? :D :D :D

Nothing at all Angie *watches in surprise as nose lengthens . . . * ;) ;) ;)

scilla
28-02-2008, 12:25 PM
sultana sounds fine! Or what about Caspar! He's gorgeous! I don't think he's a Chico.

Scilla

Kay
28-02-2008, 03:46 PM
A few Persian names.

Aslan meaning lion.
Bostin meaning patient. (I thought he looked very patient in his pics)
Hani meaning happy.
Hassan meaning good.
Jamal meaning being fair.
Kia meaning king, protector, defender.
Malik meaning king.
Nika is an Iranian river.
Zia meaning light.

I like Aslan and Malik in particular.

dinahsmum
28-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Mmmm, Art Malik

yola
28-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Down girl ;)

Yes, I like Malik and Aslan too.

Bostin . . . when I lived in the West Mids all the lads used to stroll around saying 'bostin' when they were really pleased with something :D

Fran
28-02-2008, 04:03 PM
A few Persian names.

Aslan meaning lion.
Bostin meaning patient. (I thought he looked very patient in his pics)
Hani meaning happy.
Hassan meaning good.
Jamal meaning being fair.
Kia meaning king, protector, defender.
Malik meaning king.
Nika is an Iranian river.
Zia meaning light.

I like Aslan and Malik in particular.

Any idea what the Persian name for black or dark / darkness is Kay??

Sorry for hijacking the thread! There are some super name suggestions, i think you are spoilt for choice Yola!

yola
28-02-2008, 04:08 PM
You're right Fran - some brilliant names here! I was going to compile a list early next week and post a poll - of course I'd have to reserve final judgement until Chico arrived :-D

Kay
28-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Mmmm, Art Malik

My thoughts exactly :lol: :lol:

Any idea what the Persian name for black or dark / darkness is Kay??

Sorry for hijacking the thread! There are some super name suggestions, i think you are spoilt for choice Yola!

Male or female Fran? Leila actually is Persian for dark or night. I will have a look for somemore.