PDA

View Full Version : Is there an alternative to Frontline spot-on?

angieh
25-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Just want to ask advise from my knowledgeable Catsey friends - as you will know Merlin is old and frail and has had quite a few hiccups with his health recently. He seems OK at the moment and I know that fleas will soon be an issue here as it seems to be elsewhere. I have always used Frontline spot on to control the little b*****s, but wondered whether you would advise using anything else considering his health. Any advise, as always, gratefully received. Merlin sends purrrrrrrrs!

Elaine
25-02-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure about an alternative but I would think that if Merlin has been fine with the frontline up till now, that it'd be ok to carry on using it.
Maybe some one else can shed a little more light on this one for you.;)

Kim
25-02-2008, 10:41 PM
How about just making sure you use stronghold in the house, and if Merlin doesn't go out hopefully he wont get fleas!! I don't routinely frontline mine as I simply don't like using chemicals on them unnecessarily. I know stronghold is a chemical, but at least it isn't being sprayed directly on Merlin! Just a thought.

angieh
26-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for these tips - I have looked at Frontline contraindications on the link below and I think I will phone to ask the vets advice first.

http://www.frontlinespotonkillsfleas.co.uk/page/1h7c0/About_Us/More_details.html

It was exactly putting chemicals directly onto Merlin that I was worried about Kim although he never has had an adverse reaction to Frontline.

Kim
26-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I can totally understand Angie, I don't like using chemicals either, unless totally necessary. It's the same with vaccinations too, none of mine have them now. It's personal choice really. :)

angieh
29-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Just to let you know that I did this deed this morning and gave Merlin his Frontline spot on. He had been scratching and I didn't want to take the risk. He seems non the worse for it - no reactions. Pheeeeew!

dandysmom
29-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Glad he had no adverse reaction, bless him! A cuddle to the dear boy, please......

Fran
29-02-2008, 11:36 PM
That's good news Angie :D

Kim
01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
That's good Angie. If he did have fleas then they could cause him a lot of misery, so you didn't really have a choice. As I say, I'm not totally against frontline, just prefer not to give it unless necessary....

PoshPuss
01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Hiya! Just a query from me but I have an aunt who has had cats for years. She won't use direct applications like Frontline but swears by cat collars impregnanted by flea killer. To my mind both use chemicas but which is the most effective and does it matter if its a house cat (like Posh) or outdoor as to which is best ?

angieh
01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
A perfectly reasonable question too. Personally I don't like these collars as they seem hard and unyeilding and can't be comfortable for the cat. I have seen cats with them on and after long use the cat does seem to go bald under the collar - not sure if that was the case for just that one cat, or whether others who have used these impregnated collars have found the same?

dandysmom
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
A perfectly reasonable question too. Personally I don't like these collars as they seem hard and unyeilding and can't be comfortable for the cat. I have seen cats with them on and after long use the cat does seem to go bald under the collar - not sure if that was the case for just that one cat, or whether others who have used these impregnated collars have found the same?

Patches was wearing one of those when I rehomed her; she wasn't exactly bald, but there was very little fur there; took a long time for it to grow back after I removed the collar .......

PoshPuss
02-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't like to refuse Auntie's offer, she sent them in the post, but they do look hard and quite unattractive. Will continue with the Frontline as advised by the vet, will apply later ( usually do it 1st of the month) then see how it goes. Both Posh and Bron are flea free (thank goodness) but if they are both house/garden bound is the risk lower? Sould I continue the treatment every month?

angieh
02-03-2008, 12:32 PM
On my Frontline pack, PoshPuss, it says every 5 weeks - not sure if that is standard.

I think ALL cats, whether they are mainly indoor or go outside as well still risk getting fleas - don't ask me how, the little b*****s can get anywhere! I understand that the dog flea is extinct (how can they tell?) and it is the cat flea that is always around. Don't know how the human flea is doing - but I always get bitten if Merlin has any passengers!

Kim
02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Posh poss, it is really a personal decision as to whether you frontline them every month. I personally prefer not to and just keep an eye on them for fleas. If they do get fleas I think frontline is very effective.

I don't like the flea collars either, I have used them years ago and as others have said they always get bald necks.

PoshPuss
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Im all out of Frontline now so I'll see how it goes with Posh. She's groomed daily and I'll see those little b's before they get a grip I suppose.As for Bron, my collie, she's never had them at all; guess we've been lucky. Posh had them as a stray, soon got rid of them and their dirt... dead! Won't use the collars, unless auntie comes to stay!

angieh
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Probably a good idea as you say you groom every day and you'll be the first one to spot 'em.

Just put those collars in a safe place in case your auntie comes to see you, but remember where you put them (If like me you put things in safe places and then forget where that is!)

dandysmom
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I assume there is such a thing as a rat flea (spread bubonic plague in the Middle Ages), as Leia, who had never had fleas before, suddenly had a few last Autumn just after she killed the rat. I noticed them when she was having her nightly combing; I hesitated to use Frontline as she had a bad reaction to it as a kitten, so just continued to flea comb and squash them; no signs of them or flea dirt since then! I was lucky that there weren't many and apparently I got them all before they multiplied...or maybe they do not thrive on a cat...no idea, actually .....

angieh
03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
That's interesting, dandysmom and inspired me to go and look for info straight away!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_flea

I think you and Leia could have been lucky bunnies - but of course the flea has to bite an infected rat first to be a bubonic carrier.

pinklizzy
03-03-2008, 07:26 PM
PoshPuss-Just my opinion but I wouldn't use flea collars at all, they're only really effective in the local area and the fleas favourite places tend to be along the dorsum and at the tail base! They also seem to lead to the classic bald patches in the collar area.
Frontline will be effective against fleas all over the body.

dandysmom
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
That's interesting, dandysmom and inspired me to go and look for info straight away!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_flea

I think you and Leia could have been lucky bunnies - but of course the flea has to bite an infected rat first to be a bubonic carrier.

Eeek!!! Interesting link, thanks! Aside from being quite dead, that rat looked healthy!
There is a small reservoir of bubonic plague in the southwestern States in ground squirrels and other small rodents; never heard of it here on the East coast.....
Anyhow, I'm pleased to have gotten rid of the few fleas Leia had without having to use chemicals....