PDA

View Full Version : Pilling cats, how does youre cat take it?

Elaine
25-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Winston, easy peasy lemon squeezy, just open his mouth, pop in the pill and gently rub throat till swallows.

Bernie, gently catch hold of him before he bolts, hold frimly between the knees, he's such a wriggler. Open mouth, pop in pill, pick pill up off the floor, open mouth and pop in pill a little faster this time, hold mouth closed, gently rub throat till he swallows.

Eva, chase her round the house 3 times, back her up between knees, holding shoulders firmly, laugh out loud at her sucking her cheeks in, puffing her lips out and pulling her chim tight to her chest, release her coz i am laughing so much. Chase her round the house again, laughing as she grumbles and trots away from my grasp every time. Compose myself or she'll never get her pill. Try to lull her into false sense of security and get hold of her unawares, back her up between knees again, holding shoulders firmly, bite down on insides of my cheeks to stop me laughing at her again, prize her cute little face away from her chest, open her mouth, pop in pill, pick it up off the floor, try again, this can go on for some time :lol: , have to get pill right to the very back of her throat as there is no way she'll let me stroke her throat, close mouth, once i think she has swallowed, release and take cover:-D

Erin
25-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Easy.........get auntie Elaine to do it :-D

Liz
25-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Have you tried a Pill popper gets them to the back of the throat then if a feral let go they choke pill down and run like hell!

For the unhandlable ones try wrapping in American fried chicken and making a parcel and watch who eats it - try to distract at least 10 of the others at this point as they thinks its a treat!

babycakes
25-02-2008, 09:49 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One year at the Keswick beer festival there was an article in the rag mag about getting a cat to take a pill... sounded very much like that but it involved the curtains being shredded, the owner drinking whiskey and taking the pill themselves!!!! :lol: :lol:

I used to have that trouble with my other cats but I refuse to put Denis through that stress (due to his scardy nature, and also if I'm honest I don't think I would survive :lol: )

I try to buy any wormers etc in liquid, spot on or granules. God only knows what I will do if he needs pills to be swalled, yes I do... I'll ring you Elaine :-D

Elaine
25-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah i couldnt get to grips with the pill popper tbh, scared i hurt them.
I just find the whole thing quite amusing tbh, if there's a hard way and an easy way, The Diva will always choose the latter, she's so like her mother in that respect:lol: :lol: :lol:

Elaine
25-02-2008, 09:55 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One year at the Keswick beer festival there was an article in the rag mag about getting a cat to take a pill... sounded very much like that but it involved the curtains being shredded, the owner drinking whiskey and taking the pill themselves!!!! :lol: :lol:

I used to have that trouble with my other cats but I refuse to put Denis through that stress (due to his scardy nature, and also if I'm honest I don't think I would survive :lol: )

I try to buy any wormers etc in liquid, spot on or granules. God only knows what I will do if he needs pills to be swalled, yes I do... I'll ring you Elaine :-D

Gee thanx:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I have read the article you mention, very funny isnt it.
I dont get stressed about it, Eva is just well Eva I guess:lol:
She really makes me laugh, have you ever seen a cat suck in their cheeks, puff out their lips and pull their chins so tight into their chests? Hilarious, and she curses at me the whole time.

dandysmom
25-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Leia: try to catch her unaware and try to wrap her in large bath towel. Get her half-wrapped, she escapes and flees. Wait till later, grab, wrap faster this time and wedge between my body and the side of the armchair. Try to pry open mouth which is clenched firmly. Cat is thrashing or trying to do do so inside towel. Finally get jaw open, push pill as far back as I can and remove finger rapidly before jaw clamps shut again. Stroke throat, release. Cat spits out pill. Take fresh pill (can't let loose of her to retrieve old spitty pill on floor). Repeat as above, cat spits out pill and escapes from towel. Cannot get within catching range of cat. Call vet and ask if she is resisting this strongly can she stop medication .......

Elaine
25-02-2008, 09:59 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew Leia would rise to the occasion:lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
25-02-2008, 10:03 PM
It used to take both me and OH to get a pill into either Merlin or Smudge unless they were feeling so poorly they didn't resist much. It was a good sign when they started to fight as it meant they were feeling better!

Merlin is easy to pill now - I just hold him from behind and above and get the pill well down his throat, close mouth and gently massage throat until he swallows, then tempt him with some food as a "you're a good boy" treat.

Elaine
25-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Aww, Merlin is an old sweetie xxx

dandysmom
25-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Awww, dear old Merlin.......

dandysmom
25-02-2008, 10:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew Leia would rise to the occasion:lol: :lol: :lol:

Leia turns into the Hindu goddess Kali with the six arms! If I could do that fancy photography that you did for the wedding I'd superimpose her head on top of a Kali picture, because that's her to a tee at pilling time! :-D

Elaine
25-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll try to find a picture of Kali and do that for you:lol:

John
26-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Millie has to have a pill every day..she is now getting used to taking it..I put her on the window sill ,so that she is held between me and the window open mouth pop pill to the back of the throat, massage throat gently ..let her go ..and find pill at the top of the stairs...repeat above ..

Samz5
26-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Bones has been on his kidney medication for about 4 years, a pill everyday.. we wrap it in cheese and shout "Bones CHEESE" and he runs to the kitchen and eats it!

The others aren't so good, we try wrapping pills in all sorts of stuff, ham, tuna, pate, chicken.. then if all else fails they get it the hard way. Mitz is the funniest she will never eat a pill hidden in treats, you have to put it in the mouth and try and get her to swallow, she runs off, spits out the pill and then sniffs it and eats it of her own free will! Just showing me who's boss I think.

sassiecath
26-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I approched this as a training for the cats. At first it was more of a struggle, but we kept with it at mealtime.:cat22

At mealtime when they get their wet food (from pouches) I dip the pill in the juice, gently put my fingers behind the whiskers (the vets told me that cats hate it when you hold their whiskers down againts their face), open their mouth, put pill in towards the side & just behind the tongue, then reward them with their meal. Occationally, I don't get it quite right & have to try again, but they are real good about tolerating this. Another thing is I rattle the pills in the pill bottle now & they associate this with being fed & come running!

dandysmom
26-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Interesting about the whiskers; never heard that before!

Kay
28-02-2008, 12:02 AM
The only one of mine I have trouble with is Tilly. She sits on your knee lovely opens her mouth for you even lets you put the pill in but she just won't swallow it. She does swallow several times and you are convinced it has gone I have even checked her mouth and found nothing but as soon as you put her on the floor she just spits it out and looks at you as if to say "Do you really think I am as daft as the rest of them?". Bless her!!!!

dandysmom
28-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh, love that Tilly!! What a clever cat ...... naughty, but clever

angieh
28-02-2008, 10:31 AM
So where does she hide it d'y'think, Kay?

random
28-02-2008, 01:01 PM
You know I was just going to start a thread on this today! Wormer came from online, decided on the tablets this time as for one it works out cheaper, and for 2, the liquid is pretty time consuming with 6 cats, making sure they each eat all of their tuna with it in and don't pinch anyone else's e.t.c, so you have to feed them one by one and watch 'til they are done.

So I tried the tablets this time round, expecting a feline revolution on my hands, but actually done 6 cats and 3 dogs in less than 5 minutes and not a scratch! :shock: Just popped them in the back of their throat, stroked their necks 'til they swallowed and not even a single spit-out!

dandysmom
28-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Lucky, lucky you! Must have the magic touch!! Wish you could come and pill Ms. I-Will-NOT-Take-A-Pill !!! :-D

angieh
28-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Way to go Kel - you could probably start a little business going round and pilling other people's animals!

random
29-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Lucky, lucky you! Must have the magic touch!! Wish you could come and pill Ms. I-Will-NOT-Take-A-Pill !!! :-D

Way to go Kel - you could probably start a little business going round and pilling other people's animals!

lol thank you both but i'm sure it must have been a fluke, we'll know in 3 months when it's worming time again I guess! I was very surprised, I expected Princess at least to have a hissy fit but nothing!

Kay
29-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh, love that Tilly!! What a clever cat ...... naughty, but clever

Yes she is clever at that at least which sort of goes against being a Persian. :?

So where does she hide it d'y'think, Kay?

I haven't got a clue :roll: . We do eventually get it down her as she does get tired of her naughty game.

dandysmom
29-02-2008, 05:19 PM
All laughing aside, I realize the problem is .... me! I am very tense anticipating a terrible struggle as in the past; cat, being very intelligent has picked up on this instantly and is also preparing for the worst...... it's all in having a calm, relaxed attittude, which unfortunately, I don't ....:(