PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help please? Balance problem with my cat.

cybs1
23-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone...this is my 1st post, I found you through google. Cybill my 12 year old female short haired is poorly and the vets don't seem to know what the problem is, was wondering whether any of you could possibly have any idea as to what could be wrong.
In the early hours of Thurs morning I got up to use the bathroom and Cybs came into me for a stroke, I thought she had a very slight limp but she seemed her usual self so decided I would see how she was in the morning...just to add she is 12 and does occasionally have a very slight limp after she's 1st got up every once in a while. When I got up at 6am the limp had got noticeably worse to the point where she was loosing her balance veering over to the right. We took her to the vets where they ran blood tests and an ultrasound they said she has got slight heart disease and slight kidney problems but not enough to be causing any problems or to warrant treatment. They said she doesn't appear to be in any pain but couldn't determine what it was, they have given us Metacam to give her once a day. She's still hungry and using her tray and she purrs when we stroke her and apart from her balance she is her usual lovely self. They gave us another appointment for a weeks time and said hopefully she will improve. She's come down the stairs herself but can't get back up them (we've kept her upstairs out of the way with a duvet folded up for her to sleep on and her food, water and litter tray in there because we've got a crazy little dog and an 11 week old baby, so thought she'd appreciate the quiet time, I've been running up the stairs to give her loves and kisses! I rang the vet yesterday for a chat and she's brought our appointment forward to tuesday and says she's going to do an x-ray this time but she seems to think she will improve before then. I'm so worried about her, she doesn't seem to be falling over as much but she's so unsteady on her feet, has anyone got any ideas on what this could be? Thankyou for taking the time to read this, we would really appreciate anyones thoughts on this one. Thankyou again. x

Fran
23-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Welcome to Catsey. I'm sorry to hear Cybill is not well at the moment :( It's hard to predict what it might be really. You didn't say whether she was unsteady on her front or hind legs? Have the vets checked her ears? as ear problems can cause balance issues. Other than that, I know it's rarer in cats than in dogs but they have been known to suffer hip dysplasia, arthritis and certain other joint problems. Also certain infections can cuase limping. Your vet is certainly the best person to help in this situation and I'm glad she has brought the appointment forward as a week between appointmets did seem a rather long time. Hopefully, someone else might be able to throw some possible other suggestions into the pot. In the meantime, I hope that she improves. Please lets us know how she gets on.

cybs1
23-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi and thankyou for your reply. It is her hind legs, the right appears to be more affected than her left. The vet did check her ears, but I was thinking if its an inner ear thing she wouldn't be able to see anything? I'm not sure what to do for her for the best, I don't know if I'm doing more harm the good letting her move around? Well, thankyou again for the reply. Will post again when she's been back to the vets.

Elaine
23-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Does her hind legs feel cold to the touch at all?
The reason i ask is because you mention that she has been diagnosed with slight heart and kidney problems, there in may lie the answer. Did the vet run a full blood panel? Cats with heart and/or kidney issues may display such issues if their phosphorus levels are too high, their potasium levels are too low or they may develope blood clots which usually effect the hind legs.
I dont mean to worry you at all and am very sorry your cat is poorly but if your vet doesnt seem to know what may be causing this, then maybe you could ask her about the possibility of these things.

http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms.htm#minerals

cybs1
23-02-2008, 11:47 AM
They ruled out blood clots because her legs and paw pads didn't feel cold. The vet said the only thing they didn't do was an x-ray which they are going to do on tues so I'm assuming they did run a full blood panel. Blood clots was one of the things they suggested could be the prob when hubby first dropped her off. (she was there all day thurs) I rang the vet myself yesterday to mention that I thought her right hip looked lower than her left when she was eating fri morn but she said that could be down to the way she was holding herself rather than the cause??? The vet said the heart and kidney issues were not at a severe enough level to cause the probs she is having? She said that hopefully she wouldn't need the x-ray because she will improve over the next couple of days. She doesn't appear to be falling over now but is still really swaying at her rear end when she walks.

Elaine
23-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh well thats good news, sounds like your vet is being really thorough. I would personally want to try to find out what the cause of this imbalance is, even if she is better by tuesday.
I wish you both all the very best xxx

cybs1
23-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Thankyou very much, yes I agree about finding out the cause of the problem. I feel I need to know what's happening to avoid it happening again. I will post to let you know, Thankyou for taking the time to peply to me and for the link. xx

PoshPuss
23-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Dear Cybs1, hope your problems will soon resolve and that Cybill will be fine again, as always on Catsey we send our healing vibes out to her :)

cybs1
23-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Ahhhhh thanks very much PoshPuss. Really appreciate that xx

dinahsmum
23-02-2008, 12:50 PM
No suggestions at all, I'm afraid. But I hope your vet comes up with the answer and she is soon much better.

Mags
23-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Good luck at the vets on Tuesday, I hope they will be able to find out what's wrong with Cybill.

Meanwhile healing vibes and gentle cuddles being sent to Cybill..:)

Welcome to Catsey :)

angieh
23-02-2008, 04:46 PM
So sorry to hear that Cybill is not well. I did think about a wee stroke, but if blood clot has been ruled out ..... my cat Merlin had a small stroke some while ago and has recovered from that. I would think that the x-ray will reveal the problem and hope all goes well on Tuesday. ***HUGS*** to you and your family and Cybill too of course.

Welcome to Catsey - there are plenty of kind people here as I hope you will find out for yourself!

cybs1
24-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Dinahsmum, Mags and Angieh, Thankyou for your kind words. x Thought I'd write a little update, She is a lot quicker on her feet and not as unsteady this morning, she wanted some fresh air yesterday so I took her out into the garden for a short while. I happened to see her using her tray yesterday evening for a poo (sorry for too much info!) and she seemed to pull over to the side as she was doing it and there wasn't much there, she also looked surprised?? I don't know if/how that could be connected or whether that could be due to the Metacam cos on thursday evening when she got home she went and that was as normal but I will mention it to the vets. Thanks again everyone. xxx

Elaine
24-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Glad to hear she is a little better. With regards to the poo thing, I dont know if it would be connected either but I think at this stage all things are relevant. Might be an idea to keep a little diary of her movements and behaviours over the next few days. You never know it might just help towards finding the cause.
Thankyou for keeping us updated, hugs and cuddles to both of you. xxx

Mags
24-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear she is a little better. With regards to the poo thing, I dont know if it would be connected either but I think at this stage all things are relevant. Might be an idea to keep a little diary of her movements and behaviours over the next few days. You never know it might just help towards finding the cause.
Thankyou for keeping us updated, hugs and cuddles to both of you. xxx
Excellent idea about keeping a diary of Cybill's movements Elaine;) ....it is so easy to forget the little things when you get to the vet..

Pleased to hear she is slightly better today Cybs1...

Kay
24-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome to Catsey. I am glad that Cybill seems a bit better. My mum's chihuahua, Robbie, is very unsteady on his legs and that started with his hind legs but now occassionally affects his front ones as well This has been put done to his arthritis so it may well be the same with Cybill, I know my mum puts drops on his food that does help but I can'r remember what they are. I will find out for you and you could mention it when you go back to the vets. Good luck.

Kay
24-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Just checked with my mum and it is Metacam she puts on Robbie's food. It certainly helps him but it did take quite a while before the effects showed up. He still has good and bad days but that is how arthritis is as I can vouch for.

cybs1
27-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi everyone.Took Cybs back to the vet last night, they still don't know what the prob is but she is a lot better. They have told us to keep her on the Metacam untill its been 14 days and then see how she is once it's finished if all is well we've got to take her back in a month for a check up but if she seems to worsen to make an appointment asap. They didn't want to do the x-ray this time but said it will be the 1st port of call if we do need to take her back. Thanks to all of you for your very kind words. I really appreciate it. Hugs to all. xx

yola
27-02-2008, 11:01 AM
These unresolved problems are so frustrating! Still, if the metacam is working that's a good thing. It sounds like your vet really is taking good care of you and Cybill and is working hard to eliminate all possible causes.

I was especially interested to read all of this as one of my cats has developed a limp in her back, right leg - I'll be speaking with the vet about this during her check up on Saturday.

angieh
27-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the update cybs1 - glad to hear Cybill is mending. Merlin has been on Metacam for a long while now and, while I am aware of the possible problems with it, he has always been better with it than without it. I guess your vet didn't want to do an x-ray as probably it would have meant Cybill would have to have an anaesthetic which is always a bit of a risk especially for an older cat.

***HUGS*** to you and Cybill. Hope she continues to get better.