PDA

View Full Version : Do you

Steph
22-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Feed cats/dogs abroad? I`m just back from India and was smuggling food out of the dining area to feed the resident population.

I got the odd scratch but also had one lady in my arms purring her heart out.

It`s a calculated risk I take

dandysmom
22-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I hate traveling myself, but if I did, I would! Lots of members here do: have seen lovely pics of Greek cats, Egyptian cats, etc...sure someone will be on soon to tell their tales...:D

random
22-02-2008, 10:02 PM
When I was in Turkey there were quite a few cats living in the shrubbery of the hotel grounds and gardens, very friendly and one cat even had a wee litter of 4 beautiful kittens, about 6 weeks old. And yes I fed them! :oops:

yola
22-02-2008, 10:03 PM
When I was in Italy I did! Both in the farmhouse we rented and also when visiting towns/villages. There were SO many of the poor little things around :(

random
22-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I also saw a dog on one of the quieter beaches which had quite obviously not long had a litter, no idea where her pups were though. :( Perhaps for the best as i'd have been really tempted to smuggle them!

angieh
23-02-2008, 12:26 AM
It's not just abroad you get poor starving dogs and cats!

Quite a lot of years ago I worked for a farm delivering eggs and vegetables on various housing estates reasonably locally. There was one estate I visited where I nearly always found a hungry dog - I was allowed to sell cracked eggs cheaply and I must admit that dog used to get a few off me. Of course, I didn't know then about the bacteria in albumen but at least the dog (an afgan hound) got something to eat that day.

sarahd
23-02-2008, 08:27 PM
We went to Cyprus a couple of years ago and there were resident cats on the complex.
Many a morning me and hubby woke up to find the kids had let the cats into the living room and they were laid on the beds purring happily.
There was also a pregnant cat which we fed. Her last two litters had been drowned at birth as the gardener had found them. This time two days before we flew home she sneakily had them inside a brick wall of a disused fountain. It was like a mafia operation sneaking out at ungodly hours when there was no one around to feed her and keep her safe bless her.
There was also a little old man on a hilltop who had a shack and sold beer and pop etc. He had started out with one cat Catalina and she had populated as you can imagine.
We spent a fortune on tins of tuna in the hotel shop and twice a day trudged up the hill to feed Catalina and her babies. After day 1 they came bounding down the hill if they saw the carrier bag in your hands

So yes I guess you can say I feed them too lol

Sarah
x

Kay
24-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Never been abroad but I know without a doubt I would.

Kim
24-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Werarely go abroad now, as we like to take our dogs with us on hols. But yes, when we did go I ALWAYS fed the cats. When we went to Tunisia, a German lady had brought boxes and boxes of cat food with her. I wish I had thought of that! I think the plight of cats abroad is heartbreaking :(