PDA

View Full Version : Domino - stealing food

Samz5
22-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Domino is getting really fat, since we took him in off the streets I kind of expected him to stuff his face for a while (probably thinking 'I'll make the most of this while I still can') but hes getting too big, he can't reach his backside to wash it and we weighed him and he was about a stone and a half!
So we've tried feeding him less, hard in a multi cat household - but he is eating less food, since we have restricted the food he goes out more often.... I think he's gone back to his old ways, going into other peoples houses and stealing food from the neighbors cats!
He only goes out during the daytime - when the neighbors are out.
He has been wormed, he can't be starving hungry, I think hes just greedy now.
We did get him a collar just in case someone else thought he was a stray (although they'd have to be pretty silly thinking this fat lump has no home) I don't know what we can do ! Any advise?

tilly
22-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi
have you tried putting leaflets through your neighbours doors saying that he is owned by you. Also if it help him lose weigh you could add on the leaflet that he has to have a sepcial diet so that people stop feeding him if they are a sthey won't want to make him ill.

Other than that you could try feeding him a low calorie diet as that might fill him up a bit more. As that is what i have had to do for my cat Buster he is on steriod which makes him hungry all the time and was getting fat. Another thing I am going to do to stop buster from straying and scavenging is to cat proof my garden.

hope you find something to help him

Tilly

Samz5
22-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks Tilly, Good idea about the notes to neighbors, the only thing is I think he goes around during the daytime because he knows when each neighbor is out of their house, so they probably don't even know he's been in or even seen him, he survived like this for at least 2 years down this street and there are a lot of cats around here who have cat flaps!
Maybe one of those DO NOT FEED collars might do the trick, or I'll have to move!

dandysmom
22-02-2008, 05:35 PM
You do have a problem! The Do Not Feed collar won't work if he's going to empty houses to eat other cats food.... is there no way you could separate him at feeding time from the others so he could have the low-cal food?

Kay
24-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I would de finitely try one of the good quality light diets that are on the market. Most of the big names such as Royal Canin do them and I know Royal Canin do little free sample packs that you can get from your local stockist or even by contacting them. If you want to try the Royal Canin one and can't get a free sample pm me and I will get one for you.
I think Tilly's idea of cat proofing the garden is an excellent idea. That way you know he can only get food from you. Two years is a long time to have lived by scavenging and as you say he is probably making the most of it in case it all ends suddenly.

danits_24
14-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey,

First I think you should try to make your cat do a little bit of exercise which will help him loose some weight, and I also think he shouldn't go out side alone, not only because he can steel food every time he does it, but it's dangerous.
You can buy a leash and take him out for a walk every day, and that way, you will know for sure how much food he realy is eating...

Good luck :roll:

dandysmom
14-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Some people may read Danit's post and say that a cat thats used to going outdoors won't adapt to walking on a harness, but it can be done...I did! When I rehomed Patches she'd been used to outdoor access; she watched from the window as she saw my other two cats out on theirs, and realized that was going to be the only way she'd get outside, so she adapted. Some sulking, a lot of tugging wanting to go in other peoples yards at first, but she caught on . Smart cat. I got her at 1 1/2 years, she was 20 when she went to the Bridge....and enjoyed her daily walks till then..

Samz5
21-05-2008, 02:39 PM
We finally got Domino to lose his extra weight, firstly he stopped wondering off during the days (choosing to spend all day lounging on the bed now).
The other problem was that he was eating too much dry food (we have Hills sensitive stomach food for the oldest 2 cats).

So because we work from home we moved this food into our office - meaning we could keep an eye out for Domino and remove the food from him (had to do this a lot!) and we got him some Hills light food which he isn't as keen on but still eats.
Now he has dropped down to a more reasonable weight, hes still a big cat but he can reach all the vital areas to wash himself (phew).

Thanks for the tips and ideas - we got there in the end.

angieh
21-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Well done for keeping at it! Domino will (and probably does) thank you, and must feel a lot more comfortable.