PDA

View Full Version : Birman Cats

MoHayes
21-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey

Ive Just Brought Another Birman so i now have two. the one i brought today is bitting and and Scratching my mum, he then hisses at My Mum and Me but not my dad i know his last owners got rid of him coz of some reason that is not allowed to be told, so you could you tell me what would be the best thing to do?? Please help before he kills My Other One!!! :cry:

yola
21-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Why is the reason not allowed to be told? Is that to you or to us? Because - and excuse my plain speaking here, if you would like some advice and help it's really useful to know all the facts to be able to have a chance of advising correctly.

There are many reasons for agression in cats - the main one being fear. Try getting everyone to back off and don't expect miracles. It can take a good while to integrate a cat into a family - feline and human, and longer if that cat has a history of abuse or neglect.

Hopefully you can give us a little more insight?

MoHayes
21-02-2008, 11:34 PM
well all i know about him is that his owners divorced 4 some reason and the Jasper the New Cat got attached to the male and then they gave him back to the owner till tonight when we took him. Please Help!

yola
22-02-2008, 12:57 AM
There are several good threads here about introductions, so it's worth having a bit of a look around.

Essentially, if the cat is very frightened segregate him from the rest of the house. A large cage/pen or a small room such as an ensuite bathroom should do the trick. Water, food and litter tray should be provided.

You really need to take it slowly, gently and quietly and please have patience. This cat is stressed and in a new environment. You need to stabilise him and gain some trust and he will begin to respond. Don't crowd him and please don't expect too much.

I'm going to have to log off now, but there are others that can offer advice here so pleas give as much info as you can!

Mags
22-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Following on from Yola's excellent advice, here are some links where introducing a new cat has been discussed before......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=24879&highlight=Introducing+a+new+cat

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22441&highlight=Introducing+a+new+cat

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=16246&highlight=Introducing+a+new+cat

..... this link is very helful too.......

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

You will find plenty of useful tips from our members in the above but please remember to take things very slow, both cats are new to you and both are liable to be feeling stressed at this time.

Good luck, please keep us updated how they get on together...

Kay
24-02-2008, 03:38 PM
The poor baby no wonder he is acting as he is. He is totally confused. Firstly with the split of his previous owners, going with one partner only to be returned to the other and then taken to your house where everyone is a stranger as well as there being another cat. As previously stated everything needs to be taking very, very slowly. No rushing to pick him up and cuddle him even if you really want to, which I am sure you all do, this is just frightening him more. Try keeping him in one room on his own for a bit with only contact with one or two people so he gains your trust. Slowly introduce your other cat but only while you are there and try not to pay attention to your first cat too much during these introductions. Gradually you will be able to expand his areas and the number of people he knows. It may very well be that he will always be a cat that wants your attention but when he wants it not when you do. Just give him time and I am sure when he realises you aren't going to pass him on to someone else he will come round.
Good luck.

MoHayes
24-02-2008, 10:48 PM
its a shame that jasper had to go bak he was a gorgeus cat but it was 4 the best we still have Luda but he is bein a pain bless him lol. ill keep u updated on Luda's Progress.

dandysmom
24-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh dear, how sad for the poor little cat.......

Moli
24-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Can I ask why Jasper went back??

MoHayes
25-02-2008, 12:32 AM
We didnt think it was fair 2 keep him as he wldnt come out and kept hissing at us and wouldnt feed and he was scaring our other cat Luda. The Breeder we got Jasper off of recons that he was abused and that is why he wouldnt settle its just something we will never know, The breeder may just keep Jasper as a Show Cat or if he wont settle anywhere he may have to be put down :(.

yola
25-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm completely at a loss for words here. Maybe I'm completely mis-reading and mis-understanding your post but as I see it, you asked for advise, we gave it you obviously chose not to follow it and just gave up on this cat instead of investing time, trouble and effort in helping him. Shame on you.

You gave him back to a breeder that was potentially ABUSING HIM? Did s/he breed this cat? Are they the abuser? What kind of breeder would then threaten to put a cat down, and what kind of 'cat lover' would just hand a cat back to someone that would potentially kill it!

I'll stop now . . .

dinahsmum
25-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Strange new member imo
Troll maybe?
Probably not worth bothering about. I'm afraid I didn't really understand any of it. Not bothered about spelling or syntax or elegant grammar but something approaching standard english would be helpful.
Edited to add that, if the OP sufers from dyxlexia or similar then I do not wish to offend. However, the posts are virtually unreadable - and I did try hard, after initially dismissing them as rubbish. Can't really help when we don't understand the problem.

Moli
25-02-2008, 02:34 PM
I am with Yola on this one, as far as I see the poor kitten did not get a chance to settle in...:(

MoHayes
25-02-2008, 04:02 PM
we really tryed but my parents decided it wasnt fair and his breeder didnt abuse him it was his owners before we got him, i tryed your advice but it didnt work it was only for the best.

scilla
26-02-2008, 05:29 PM
What a sad, sad, story.

Please don't let him be put down. He needs slow, slow, gradual treatment, as previously recommended, even by the breeder. Poor chap, he has been pushed around from pillar to postl

Let us know what is happening.

Scilla

yola
26-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Scilla, I think, sadly they threw in the towel on this one and gave the cat back. Crying shame as it's often just a little bit of understanding and TLC that these cats need to help them out of their shell and to integrate :(

dandysmom
26-02-2008, 08:59 PM
My impression exactly, Yola....:(

MoHayes
28-02-2008, 02:19 PM
We got a phone call from the breeder today and she has told us that the owner that she gave Jasper to first did abuse him so she is now gonna keep Jasper till she has managed to bring him back round and make him the Birman he should be.

yola
28-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks for that update Mica. Most cats will respond to kindness, however for those that have been mistreated the road to confidence and trust can be a long one.

I hope this breeder is able to work with Jasper and help him - he sounds lovely and hopefully he can have a happy life and a secure home in the future.

Kay
28-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I do hope his breeder has the time and patience that will be neede to bring Jasper round but I feel he would greatly benefit from being an only cat and not in a breeding enviroment and that is my view as a breeder. A breeding household is not an ideal place for him. I do hope he gets an understanding, forever home of his own sooner rather than later.

MoHayes
16-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey

Ive Just Brought another kitten and she is 4months old now and my boy luda is 7months and they have both got ear mites and i dont know where they got them from can any1 tell me where they mite of gotten them from.

kelly-joy
27-07-2008, 10:42 AM
First of all you need to go to the vet to get something for those ear mites as if not treated can lead to more serious things going on in there ear.
Chances are that one had ear mites and has passed it on to the other.

As for the birman you sent back to the breeder tell the breeder if he is too much for her to cope with to call birman rescue or even us at the ukrcc before she decides to have him put to sleep