PDA

View Full Version : kuan yin angry/aggressive this morning

Tink
21-02-2008, 10:44 PM
i don't know what has gotten into my baby...
she was playing with the ferret kinda rough but they always do that...i put him to bed for a nap and she starts ATTACKING ME. she is jumping up trying to grab my face while i'm standing..then jumping on my legs, latching on, and biting the heck out of me...then she went and peed in taz's rice box (he likes to dig for play) right in front of me..i lifted her out of it and put her in her litter box and she runs over to the rice box and flings the urinated rice out of it onto the carpet. i'm trying to close the box up and she starts leaping at me...drawing blood so badly that i had to physically throw her off me:( i felt bad for a second but she just leaped back on me and started biting harder..(more blood)..i pretty much just left her and went to my bedroom to gather myself...
she is either seriously mad at me, got too riled up from playing with taz, or has gotten into the catnip plant again and is going nuts...
i've never seen my baby like this..sure, she plays hard and sometimes i have to correct her when she play bites me..but not to the point where she's pretty much attacking me...maybe it was play and not meant to be aggressive. i'm leaving her alone right now...i'm pretty worried what is going on with her.

angieh
21-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh Tink - are you are OK? The only thing I can think of is that she was excited by playing with Taz and you took him away and she reacted to that. Hope she calms down.

Tink
21-02-2008, 11:38 PM
i'm okay..thanx...just a little sad my baby acted like this and wondering if i've done something to upset her..the whole thing was pretty crazy and stung more than the wounds. i also feel really bad about pushing her off me and having to get physical to get her to stop..it was just hurting so bad and she wouldn't let up and my first instinct was to push:( i didn't hurt her or anything but i really hate to have to be physical with my babies like that which is what upset me the most.

dandysmom
21-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm no animal behaviorist, but it sounds as if she was very overstimulated by playing with Taz and got carried away attacking you. So you ended it by giving yourself a time-out instead of her. Immediately stopping the "game" and leaving should have helped her realize she was playing way too rough~! It doesn't sound like her...how is she behaving now? Have you treated the bites/scratches?

Tink
21-02-2008, 11:53 PM
she's sleeping..i pet her and she purred and kissed my hand..no, i haven't treated the bites and scratches..i just kinda blew it off..guess i should. maybe you're right, ferrets do play pretty intensely and have very thick skin which means they playbite each other much harder...i just hope it doesn't turn into a behavioral issue or she's upset about taz or something..though they do play well together still..but i do admit, there's been less one on one play with me and her since he's arrived. i guess it just shook me up a bit since she's never interacted with me that way before. she just WOULD NOT stop no matter what i did..and did i handle it right? what if she does it again?

babycakes
22-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Denis used to do that a lot he used to just freak occasionaly and attack me, feet, hands and has gone for my face once. I assumed it was because he is feral.
He has calmed down a lot but does it (only occasioanly)when he over tired now. ( I ususally know he hasn't had the chanc eto have a proper sleep and he comes up attacks me (full on back legs going and everything) and falls asleep with my hand in his mouth!!! or I have to try to make hm go to sleep by whispering to him and stroking his head (like a toddler). It's very wierd but I have only threw him off once and that didn't work. Someone suggested going forward with your hand like in attack mode, so it's not seen as backing off but Denis plays harder when I do that.

Grete
22-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Ouch Tink :( I think she might have been overexcited after playing with Taz and wanted to play with you the same way which of course is too rough :(

One of the best ways I've found to stop it in it's tracks is to get them on their backs into a submissive position, they will usually break off and back away because they don't like being put in that pose. Or distract them with a toy that will keep them at arms length until they've wound down.

Failing that, what you did - removed yourself or her from the situation until she's calmed down is good. You might be right with the catnip too - I know mine play much more aggressive when they are 'high'.

Do treat the bites and scratches, they do get so easily infected :(

All in all I don't think she was being aggressive to you but could have been having a 'teenage' strop for some reason along with being overstimulated.

*hugs*

Elaine
23-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Oooh that sounds nasty Tink. I personally wouldnt try to put any cat into a submissive pose, I value my life too much for that, and cats are damned quick and really can do serious damage if they feel frightened or threatened.
I thought this link might help you to decide what the aggression was about and give a possible solution for it also.
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html

Grete
23-02-2008, 09:32 AM
I guess it depends on the cat ;) It's worked for me in the past and since damage is already being done, that split second between OMG and OW you don't think, you just react.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else getting more injured through something I said so just ignore me ;)

That link is really good Elaine :)

Kay
24-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I think you did the best thing possible by leaving her on her own for a while. I would say she was definitely overexcited with her play with Taz possible because of how hard Taz plays the poblem that would worry me is if you continue to let them play together that she gets into a habit of playing like that with anyone or anything. Habits are easy to form and difficult to stop. So just be cautious. I think if it was me I would spend time with Taz on my own and time with Kuan Yin on her own and not let them play together anymore.

Tink
24-02-2008, 11:34 PM
she hasn't done it since...just keeping an eye out for it...LOL.

Mags
24-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear everything is peaceful there again Tink :D