PDA

View Full Version : Peer pressure

Jac
21-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Although at Ceilidh's school everyone has to wear uniform (she's 6) Yesterday I went to pick her up and she had gym shoes on. It turned out that her strap on one of her shoes had broken. Anyway I took her for a new pair. They had to be the ones with the dolls hidden in the soles. £30 for the pleasure!!! I don't really mind as they are Clark's and I have a thing about measuring kids feet and not skimping on the cost of shoes. BUT at 6!! she wouldn't be the same as her palls. I ask you!! Such a shame. They should be playing not comparing shoes

dandysmom
21-02-2008, 10:40 PM
TV is indoctrinating children to be little consumers!!! Gotta have the "in" thing, the right brand name, the very latest! Such a shame that they feel left out if they don't have it....what's happened to childhood.???????

Mags
21-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Katie (7) had to have a new pair of shoes in the Christmas holidays ....... yes, she too had to have the ones with the dolls hidden in each heel.:roll:

In Katie's case though, I think it's the Mum's who are always competing with each other!;)

We were never like that at her age, we just had what our mother's chose for us..:lol:

Jac
21-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Exactly Eileen!!

They should be out playing, swinging from ropes hanging off trees.

As you say what happened to childhood? This is the kind of thing we expect of teenagers, not 6 year olds.

Totally off the subject (well not really) When I was at Ceilidh's last parents night her teacher said she had a great imagination. She loved to watch her playing as she got totally lost. Now I'm not bumping her up but she can play with anything from paper clips to dolls!!!!! I love watching her.

She now has an Nintendo (haha we know that story) the thing is......she wanted it because all her friends have one and she felt left out. I think she has played with it about 8 times since Christmas.

Jac
21-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Mags, when I think about school my Mum's words ring in my ears.........you'll grow into it:lol: nobody noticed or minded. That wouldn't happen now.

yola
21-02-2008, 11:26 PM
That's what I like about Dominik's school. Even though after the age of 7 it becomes and all-girls school, they are SO strict on uniform there is no room for that kind of stuff. Sure, I see some of the older, 11 year old girls in holiday care in their own clothes and they all have the latest ugg boots etc etc, but uniform is uniform and there is no argument in school.

Jac, Dominik's like that too - with the games! I bought him a remote control Dalek for Christmas; he raves about it all the time, but when it comes to it, he plays with scraps of paper in the washing maching pretending it's a tardis and the dalek is comletely ignored!

Jac
21-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Yola, I think he's Ceilidh's soul mate:lol:

dandysmom
21-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I think it's absolutely great that Ceilidh and Domi use their imaginations for play!!! That's part of (or should be!) of childhood......

random
22-02-2008, 07:42 PM
JAC! I know exactly what you mean, I just got my son these this week, £34 for the ones with the wee cars in! :roll: He's 5.

CathyW
22-02-2008, 08:07 PM
breaths a sigh of relief that all mine are grown up n left home :)

alexgirl73
23-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm the stick in the mud then lol, because I downright refused to buy my 2 any shoes like that. A few of the girls in Hayleys class had them, and after 1 week they had all lost the toy, but I wont shop in Clarks anyway. Overpriced and not as great quality as they would have you believe. The closest thing to a label make my Raechel has is a pair of Mary Kate and Ashley jeans from Asda, and a pair of Lonsdale trainers LOL!

yola
23-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Alex, I'm with you to some extent. What I won't have is 'merchandised' sutff, for instance, spiderman pyjamas or Thomas the tank Engine duvet cover. I buy the DVDs/CDs and the toys but I won't let it extend beyond that.

I will however, buy them 'labels' simply because I feel that many of these clothes, albeit more expensive, are far better made and durable than much of the mothercare stuff. Dominik's not an abuser of clothes by any means, but the £5 pair of trousers for mothercare or H&M has died long before the Diesel jeans.

I do try and discourage the 'latest trend' type of thing though. I think if you fall for it with kids of a very young age you're only making a rod for your own back later on!