PDA

View Full Version : Unreliable household things

dandysmom
20-02-2008, 05:35 PM
DM's comment about the unreliable vacuums got me thinking: what else have you found to need replacement too frequently? For me it is VCRs! They only seem to last about two years, then start chewing up tapes...and I have always been meticulous about using head-cleaning tapes....

Claire m
20-02-2008, 05:41 PM
The most unreliable thing we have is our DVD player we have replaced it 6 times in two years, at least its under warranty, the other thing is i seem to go through hair dyers i tend to blow them up so i end up getting a new one at least once a year LOL

angieh
20-02-2008, 05:45 PM
KETTLES!!!!! Eeeek I can't do without my cuppa!

Moli
20-02-2008, 05:49 PM
The one thing I always seem to be buying are hot air stylers, they seem to last about 6 months then start overheating!!
and the other thing is irons, goodness knows how many of them I have had since getting married!!!

dandysmom
20-02-2008, 05:51 PM
KETTLES!!!!! Eeeek I can't do without my cuppa!

Oooh, how could I have forgotten kettles!!! They just up and die just when you need them...cannot think of how many I've replaced... :roll:

Moli
20-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I really do not think things last like they used to....Not the same quality now...

MrsH
20-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I think I've been very lucky! I've been married nearly 39 years now and we're on our 2nd kettle, our 4th vacuum cleaner and I'm on my 2nd hair-dryer (I got the 1st when I was 16!)

I'm losing count of the VCRs and other similar things as my husband keeps convincing me that it makes sense to get something more advanced (or do I mean complicated?)

I'll admit to a bit of a problem with steam-irons, maybe it's because we live in a hard-water area, or because they keep getting dropped on the tiles!

alexgirl73
20-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Blasted DVD players!!! Dont know what it is with them, but they keep dying on me.

Mags
20-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Well my list of replacements reads .......

Washing machine - 3
Cooker/oven - 3
Vacuum cleaner - 4
Iron - 2
Kettles - 3
Steamer - 2
Television - 3
VCR - 2
Computer - 2

The longest lasting appliance must be my Braun hairdryer, I've had it for 17 years now and it works still as good as new! :D

yola
20-02-2008, 09:33 PM
It has to be DVD players here too! Mind you, I refuse to spend any money on them so buy ones for £25.00 . . . they last about a year and then I get another one! The other bane of my life is laptops. Can't get the darned things to go beyond a year also. I now refuse to buy one, and use the desktops instead.

I've been lucky with most things, my Dyson has lasted 10 years without problems, fridge/freezer about 8 years, 1st washer/dryer 9 years (problems with the replacement though), original dishwasher still going strong at 11 years, recently replaced a hairdryer that was nearly 20 years old and that's coz Dominik battered it once too often :shock:

I refuse to get an electric kettle so my lovely Alessi cooker-top one is 11 years old but will probably last forever!

dandysmom
20-02-2008, 10:21 PM
On the other hand, some things just last and last: my toaster oven is about 12 years old, and the electric frying pan must be about the same age.......they get heavy use!

Mags
20-02-2008, 11:19 PM
On the other hand, some things just last and last: my toaster oven is about 12 years old, and the electric frying pan must be about the same age.......they get heavy use!
I don't own a frying pan anymore.....threw it out years ago! :lol:

dandysmom
20-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Oh wow! :shock: I could not cook without it: shrimp creole, rice and beans, all my Chinese stir-fry dishes, scrambled eggs, bacon......list goes on and on.....of course I'm cooking for one...

EmmaG
21-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Irons!!! the OH goes through them like nobody's business :)