PDA

View Full Version : Artemis update + questions!

Whiley
20-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey all
I am SO sorry for not being around, its been troubling times this past few months but Artemis has been a real light through it! Bless her heart!

But there has a been a few things i just wanted to discuss with those who know it better than i!

This does cross over into Diet on some levels i suppose, but i hope you dont mind if i pop it in here so all questions are together, as its her health foremostly i want to secure!

She appears to be a very happy bunny! Shes with us all the time and adores us, she makes that very very clear.

But shes getting very demanding, mostly over her food. She wails and makes the most pathetic of noises when its approaching tea times, and she right there in your face when you're trying to prepare it, now getting into the habit of knocking things out of your hands, barging through very forcefully and very in your face, we've now taken to shutting her out of the kitchen when we dish up for her, and then she scrapes and scratchs at the door the whole of the 4 seconds shes there, then wolves it down!
This is all new behaviour, she didn't use to do this at all. SHe used to pick at food and eat slowly.

We've made sure Shelby is no where near her when shes eating, so there should be no completition, but if Shelby leaves any at all, she is right in there wolving it down, and forcing the way to it as well.

We worried this might be because we're under feeding her, but i'm pretty sure we're not, we hope it isnt a competition thing, as we've tried to seperate the cats at feeding times, but also is this possible season kicking in?

Shes actually developing a bit of a flabby bit under her belly, shes not a chunky cat, but wondered if we were over feeding her, or if this was something else?

The food thing really worries me, whenever a cupboard or fridge is open shes right in there trying to climb in, if food is being prepared she is up on the surfaces, she is also learning to open the bins, and its annoying to have to shut her out of the kitchen because we used to play games batting a ball around while i was cooking and she had no interest at all in food.

She gets a very small handful of kibble in the morning, at midday she gets a pouch or tray and then another at about 6. Is this a good ratio or how would people suggest i change it?

Also, just wanted to check, nail clipping, i haven't done it yet, but as she doesn't go outside her nails are getting long, and can get owwie, can i clip them, and how is it reccomended to do so?

Also, i thought it would be odd to report that our ex-steet stray is frightened of the outdoors. :? I mean that works in our favour really as an indoor cat, but even when i'd tried to take her out on her harness, she'll have known of it and scrambles to get back in the kitchen.
Is this a fear of parting? Might this suggest her last owner dumped her?

Getting back onto the season subject, we've kept our eyes peeled for changes in behaviour as no one knew if she'd been spayed yet, and this is the first change in her behavour, reported through this thread. What other things might i spot along the way?

Thanking you lovers!

dinahsmum
20-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi there. I've never had an unspeyed queen so i can't give any tips as to what are 'pre-signs'. You'll soon know if she does go into full call:)
However, as for the food and bad manners thing - well, I think she has you wrapped round her furry little finger. Maybe you should be a little firmer, do those things you don't want to, like psst, psst, psst ing her when she's in the wrong place and being naughty.
Put aluminium foil on your surfaces to discourage her jumping up there; maybe even carry a little water pistol for a quick shot (if you use it try not to let her see that the wicked water comes from you ... let it seem like the fates taking revenge! :) )
Good luck

Whiley
20-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Investing it a bliddy super soaker then! Little madam! No i joke! I'll keep a little dinky christmas cracker one with me i think, good tip with the foil! WIll try it.

Whats pssting?

dinahsmum
20-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Going psst, psst, psst. Can't think how else to spell it - just sound the letters to make the sound I use to shoo my boys away. Say it sharply, several times, emphasise the sssss. :)

Whiley
20-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Oooh like hissing! i get you! :)

Thank you :D

Shelby is being wierd, i think thats another post in behaviour. Here we go!

Kay
20-02-2008, 07:48 PM
The behaviour is certainly not normal for a cat coming into call. They tend to go off their food rather than for it as they are interested in other things. Has she been wormed lately? I know she is an indoor cat but it might be worth a try. Mine are all indoor cats and still get wormed. It could be a competition with Shelby as she is more settled now they could be soting out the pecking order. I would let her in the kitchen while you are preparing her food but when she starts any behaviour you don't want sharply say no and put her out until you have finished. Hopefully she will begin to associate the undesirable behaviour with being away from you. Good luck.

Whiley
20-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Ah thank you Kay!

All wormed up, yep. I'll keep an eye on things and update with any developments, hopefully she doesn't get too bad with it in the end!

Kay
20-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Hope everything works out. They sure know how to play you don't they.

babycakes
20-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Welcome back nice to see you. I'm sorry I don't have any tips to help you, just wanted to say hi