PDA

View Full Version : Got a massive shock today

babycakes
19-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I was having a really good day, until I nearly blew my face off in the oven!!!!:?

I put to bake rolls in for OH to have with his soup, went out to check on them, opened the door thought...."mmmmm I smell gas mustn't have lit the oven!!" pressed the ignition button and whoosh was engulfed with flames :oops:

I don't know why I did it :roll: Anyway my hair and face caught fire it was awful :cry: I have lost half of my fringe, half of the eyebrow on my left eye, half of my eyelashes and burnt my left eye and forehead. :shock: (Oh and my jumper)

I am very very lucky, My eye swelled up to start with, it is still stinging but I have no blisters or obvious burn (that I can see ) and my hair etc will grow back. :D I looked a sight frazzelled and I just burst into tears, pure shock.

I suppose I am lucky I opened the door as the whole oven would have blew up otherwise :roll:

Moli
19-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Goodness BC, how awful, just pleased you are not badly injured, when you think of what could have happened....
Maybe you should get your eye looked at to make sure everything is ok...

Elaine
19-02-2008, 11:31 PM
OMG!!!
Shock is an understatement. I am pleased you lived to tell the tale and that you are ok.

yola
19-02-2008, 11:35 PM
BC - you were so, so lucky. My daft (naive) friend at artschool, stuck a lighted match into the gas-fired hot air central heating boiler mechanism in our flat. She suffered quite bad burns to her arm and her face looked as if she's been lying in the sun in the sahara for a week. No laughing matter - I SO pleased you are OK, she was too - but very, very shaken :(

Fran
19-02-2008, 11:38 PM
OMG :shock::shock::shock: So glad that you are ok x

babycakes
19-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Thank you for your concern X
Its a stupid thing to do!!! I think I'm still in shock and feeling sorry fo myself as I feel so lucky, even if I had ended up in the burns unit or god knows what else.

yola
19-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Kepp talking (and laughing) about it BC. It's great for the shock, it'll disipate it for you. We want a picture of that singed fringe and eyebrow ;)

Mags
19-02-2008, 11:51 PM
:shock: .... you are one very lucky lady BC, that could have been so much worse..:?

I'm glad you weren't too badly injured but I really think you should get yourself checked out with your doc..:?

dandysmom
19-02-2008, 11:56 PM
How dreadful; thank God you weren't injured seriously! Do think about having the eye looked at, please...... eyes worry me!

angieh
20-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I'd echo Dandysmom's advice above - so glad you're not badly hurt.

babycakes
20-02-2008, 12:34 AM
The eye itself is fine it's just the skin on the eyelid and eyebrow.... Will check in the morning and if it still feels burny I will have it looked at. (I promise)
Yola you make me laugh I will not be showing pictures at all its cringing...looks like someone cut my eyelashes in half and I got a bad eyebrow wax, will have to see the hairdresser as I have a baby fringe but underneath is to the quick and either side

MrsH
20-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Blimey, just seen this before going off to bed. You were so lucky, but what a shock you've had! I hope you're not in much pain but that eye needs checking!

Grete
20-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Eeeek BC! SO glad you are ok, that must have been such a shock! I have to admit it's the kind of thing I would do, so you aren't alone ;)

Do get your eye checked out just to be on the safe side!

*hugs*

dinahsmum
20-02-2008, 09:47 AM
omg :shock:
Hope you slept OK and that it has done you good. Maybe a trip to outpatients of you eye is sore in any way?
Take care! ( and maybe think about an electric oven?)

ellenlouise
20-02-2008, 09:50 AM
OMG that is scary... How are you feeling this morning? Did you OH come to the rescue?

babycakes
20-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Thankyou everyone.

I am much better today and have no burns, no pain and feel quite well considering!!!

Hair isn't as bad as I thought (Can style over it ) and noone in work has noticed the eyebrow, clever hair styling again!!

Yes OH was very shocked and very good at the time and since.
I couldn't cook with electric, I have tried and didn't like the difference. But I have definetely learnt to be more careful

CathyW
20-02-2008, 04:37 PM
what a shock for u. glad u wasnt seriously hurt.
i use electric cooker. u do get used to it. alot cleaner n safer.

dandysmom
20-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the update! Glad clever styling hid most of the damage, lol! I cook electric too, as BM said, cleaner and safer....only a nuisance when the power goes off!