PDA

View Full Version : Any one tried this?

Elaine
19-02-2008, 10:25 PM
http://www.realpetfood.co.uk/content/view/13/27/

Just been reading on another forum a bit of a discussion about the ill effects of over feeding tuna or complimentary cat foods and all the vitamin deficiencies/excess's which can result in serious poor health for our feline friends.
Anyway, I came across this and wondered what peoples thoughts were on it.
One of my concerns is that to feed this, you should also buy the liver powder to add to it or use fresh raw liver/meat. Now, I also know that feeding an excess of liver can result in hypervitaminosis which is an extremely painful condition resulting in the cat being PTS. So would it not stand to reason that feeding this food with the liver powder added on a daily basis result in the same thing?

ellenlouise
19-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I am not that knowledgable Elaine but all seems overly complicated. It worrying that you have to buy a food but they add additions. I have only just learnt the affects of whiskas on cats in a health respect and have moved mine on to pro plan for now. I will be intrested to see how the debate develops once the more knowledgeable start to add intelligent opinions rather than mine lol.

Elaine
19-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I think what they are trying to do is to encourage people to feed a more natural diet by encouraging to feed raw and trying to make that easier for people by doing it this way.
The discussion on the other forum is even more complicated as they are discussing the calcium/phospherous ratio in cat foods, I wont go into it coz i am confusing myself:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
19-02-2008, 10:41 PM
It certainly seems counterintuitive to me, but as ellenlouise said, I too am not knowledgeable enough to make a reasoned opinion. What to feed our cats seems to get more and more confusing....wonder how the moggies back years ago ever managed to live long lives on what they were fed???

I wonder how balanced a diet of mostly mouse with a few birds/bugs thrown in is? I'm not joking, I really do wonder of any lab or vet has ever done an analysis of it?

ellenlouise
19-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Ah I see. :-) I am not sure if its always practical to feed a more natural diet. Though I think its fair to say try and buy the best quality food your buget can cope with. What do you feed your cats?

dandysmom
19-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Did you mean me or Elaine? Mine got/get mostly wet, Fancy Feast and Elegant Medleys; for dry, Friskies Chef's Blend and Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold. These are US brands. I've tried some of the premium healthy wet foods and dry ones, but Leia hates them; she refused the brand the vet prescribed when she had a bout of cystitis...:roll:

Edited to add: they all had occasional treats; chicken, raw beef. prawns, ham, cheddar, chicken livers, trout or swordfish.......

Elaine
19-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I feed natures menu, hi-life, applaws and Felix as their wet foods and Royal Canin light as their dry foods.
Its all getting very complicated though, I want to give them the best possible diet i can but now we have complimentary foods, complete foods, dry foods, premium foods, the list goes on.
This may sound awful and i dont mean it to but after Winston was gone, there was a little releif in the fact that i no longer had to scrutinise all the foods looking for the lowest phos content and a quality protein etc etc.
Maybe its me and i have got stuck in a rut somewhere along the lines but i now find myself getting more and more confused over what i should and shouldnt feed.
Maybe i should just calm down and continue to feed a variety, after all maybe whats deficiaent in one food will be in excess in the next, who knows:?

Kay
20-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't agree with their arguements. Yes cats are carnivors and in the wild would catch mice, rats, rabbits etc. However they would not live as long, according to my vet the average life span would be approx 3-4, not long at all. They would contract horrible diseases and risk nasty fights. They would very often not eat every day and these people are feeding them like this everyday so it has already differed from natural. Back to the natural they said they feed fish, cats in the wild do not naturally catch fish. And how many cats in the wild do you know that cook their chicken.
Maybe I am being a bit picky but cats need a very balanced diet with far more nutrients than a dog and I therefore don't believe it is the ideal. After all our cats are not wild animals they are pampered pets and have adapted to this kind of life. Very well I might add.
This is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.