PDA

View Full Version : Clothes sizes

dinahsmum
19-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Listening to a discussion on the radio about standardising sizes - male and female. It is quite interesting. Fashion people are pointing out that changing - as the proposals are for Spain - to 'this garment measures xxcm round the bust, xx round the waist etc etc ' - might not actually help, as the cut and style of the garment, and the height etc of the wearer both impact on fit.

But wouldn't it be nice if all manufacturers/retailers actually standardised between themselves, so that if you were a size whatever in one shop you would be that same size in all shops?

yola
19-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes, it would make life a lot easier if sizes were standardized.

I think it does have a lot to do with where the retail outlet originates from. Spanish stores such as Mango and Zara seem to have smaller dress sizes and I guess that's possibly because Spanish/Southern European women are generally smaller in their physique than northern European ones.
The standarization goes for shoes as well. I go from a 4 1/2 in some shops, to a 6 in others!

I'd also heard that they were making clothes bigger whilst retaining lower sizes, so all the women who are an easy size 16 feel better coz they can get into a size 14!! :shock:

dandysmom
19-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes, it would make life a lot easier if sizes were standardized.

I think it does have a lot to do with where the retail outlet originates from. Spanish stores such as Mango and Zara seem to have smaller dress sizes and I guess that's possibly because Spanish/Southern European women are generally smaller in their physique than northern European ones.
The standarization goes for shoes as well. I go from a 4 1/2 in some shops, to a 6 in others!

I'd also heard that they were making clothes bigger whilst retaining lower sizes, so all the women who are an easy size 16 feel better coz they can get into a size 14!! :shock:

I've heard that said about manufacturers here in the States also! And I think it's probably true, as I haven't really lost any weight since I retired but now can wear one size smaller! :shock: :-D

Moli
19-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Don't you also think the quality of the goods makes a difference...??

yola
19-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Not sure Moli. You go to some real upmarket places (Gucci, Prada v US brands like Hilfiger and Karan) as I used to do when I had money and a figure, and there seems to be no standard either.