PDA

View Full Version : Question on neutered strays

Rosie
18-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Just been reading the other threads and always wonder why when vets spay an animal cat or dog they don't put a mark on the animal or put something on a chip (when chipping an animal). It seems ridiculous that in this day and age an animal has to be opened up to establish whether it has been neutered or not.

dinahsmum
18-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I agree. Quick tattoo in the ear whilst Puss is still asleep?
Or develop a simple blood test to check hormones?

angieh
18-02-2008, 03:46 PM
What a good idea - come on you vets! Spare cats and dogs and their owners the stress of unecessary and costly operations!!!! Who is going to write to the RVC?

borderdawn
18-02-2008, 03:59 PM
If its a feral, they cut the tip of the ear off, so if caught again they can be released as they know its neutered.

With regards other pets. If its a female cat it will call, if its a male, you will know by looking if its been neutered or not!

Rosie
18-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Have just sent an email to a very nice lady at the RCVS who answered another question I had a couple of weeks ago. I will let you know what she says.

Rosie
18-02-2008, 04:08 PM
With regards other pets. If its a female cat it will call

I think the problem here is that if it is a stray in a rescue they probably wouldn't have time to wait until the cat comes into season as they need a quick turnround.

smudgley
18-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I think the problem here is that if it is a stray in a rescue they probably wouldn't have time to wait until the cat comes into season as they need a quick turnround.

It is difficult, I rehomed one recently to a catsey member on the understanding that if she started calling she would get her neutered. But generally most females come in pregnant or with a litter, so it's less often than you think, to get an adult cat where you are unsure if she's neutered.

Rosie
18-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Can you believe this nice lady has already got back to me and I think the upshot is that vets could mark but don't seem to be bothered.

Thank you for your email of the 18th February 2008.

The legislation controlling mutilations in animals in England is the The Mutilations (Permitted Procedures) (England) Regulations 2007, a copy of this is available via the following website - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/uksi_20071100_en_1 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/uksi_20071100_en_1)

This legislation allows for the tattooing of animals as an identification technique (schedule 1, section entitled ‘other species’). Also, perhaps more usefully, the same section allows for the ear tipping of feral cats for identification purposes.

I hope that this is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Lucy Evans
Professional Conduct Department

smudgley
18-02-2008, 04:59 PM
[quote=Rosie;460904]Can you believe this nice lady has already got back to me and I think the upshot is that vets could mark but don't seem to be bothered.

that's an unfair comment... is it that they can't be bothered, or they aren't aware or that it simply isn't common practice??

angieh
18-02-2008, 05:41 PM
If I guessed, I'd think it is because it's not common practice - but perhaps it should be? I wonder if it's done in other countries at all - any comments from Catsey members who live elsewhere could be helpful here!!!

smudgley
19-02-2008, 12:20 AM
[quote=angieh;460941]If I guessed, I'd think it is because it's not common practice - but perhaps it should be?[/quote
i agree totally.

Moli
19-02-2008, 12:24 AM
I do think if a vet was asked to do it , it would eventually become part of the spaying process...

Kay
20-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I agree their should be some form of identification. I personally would prefer micro chipping than tattooing but that is just personal. Obviously the cost of neutering would go up to reflect this and I think you would then have more un-neutered cats around because of the cost and even more pressure on rescues.

smudgley
20-02-2008, 10:35 PM
But it wouldn't need to be a registered tattoo Kay, just a dot or something in the ear or inner thigh... just a recognised place to make a mark to indicate that the cat has been neutered

yola
20-02-2008, 10:40 PM
I think the problem with microchipping is that they can move or simply fail; Darcy's did.

Obviously if it's a show cat then I think this needs careful thinking about, but for your average mog on the street or even any cat, pedigree or not, who is being rehomed I think it's an excellent idea and should be communicated wholesale as a best practice process to vets everywhere.

Kay
20-02-2008, 10:40 PM
I agree Smudgley but vets being the way most of them are would want to make even more money for doing it however small. Just me being cynical I think.

smudgley
21-02-2008, 04:12 PM
[quote=yola;461541]I think the problem with microchipping is that they can move or simply fail; Darcy's did.

quote]

Can I ask what you mean by this Yola...I'm really interested to know?

dandysmom
21-02-2008, 05:46 PM
If I guessed, I'd think it is because it's not common practice - but perhaps it should be? I wonder if it's done in other countries at all - any comments from Catsey members who live elsewhere could be helpful here!!!

Here in the States the feral rescues normally make a small notch in the ear to indicate that the neutering has been done. As to vets doing any sort of marking, to the best of my knowledge they don't. But it has been 8 years since Leia was spayed, so it's possible some may...but I rather doubt it. An excellent idea to do so for non-show cats! My little stray, Onyx (now sadly vanished) had a notch in her ear, although we do not think she was feral. She obviously had been spayed, as she never called...or had kittens ..... in the 2+ years she was here,.....