PDA

View Full Version : Hello, need some advice

lindsey
16-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi all.

I wonder if you could give me some advice. I have an Auntie and Uncle who own rented property which they let out. ANyhow, one of their tenants has done a runner but left the cat! My Auntie was quite upset and rang me; I have 6 cats of my own and 4 dogs. Anyhow I went with my little girl to collect this cat. Apparently, it was quite a visitor to neighbouring properties and they fed it. It does not look in too bad a condition for its ordeal but is dirty.
I have brought it home, cat is a she and she has had some food and now ensconced on our top bunk bed! All I am worried about is my dogs; although they love cats this feeling is not often reciprocated. I am just worried about stressing the poor thing in a multi pet household. I realise it is only early days but just wondered if you had any tips/advice as I would really love to keep this cat. She is very friendly.

If all else fails I will try to rehome her. I am also taking her to my vets next week for a check up/etc.

ANy advice appreciated!!

Claire m
16-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi and welcome to catsey, I'm sure some one will be along soon to give you advice as many people on here have multi pet households. Good on you for taking in the poor kitty.xxxxx

babycakes
16-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Welcome to Catsey, and good on you for being there for her. Did you get all of your other cats together? If not what worked when you introduced a new one to the others? I would restrict her to another room until she is familiar with her surroundings. Is she spayed at all? Maybe something else you will have to look into...I'm sure you wouldn't want a house full when she ventures outside.

lindsey
16-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't know if she is spayed but am going to take her to the vets asap to determine this and also for vaccination. All my other cats are neutered etc. Funnily enough all the cats miraculously appeared once I brought her in! There is obviously a bit of growling, hissing etc which is to be expected. She is lovely though xx

babycakes
16-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry, I didn't explain that well, What I meant was, your cats must have come to live with you one at a time and you must have introduced them to each other at some stage, so how did you do that and what worked and what didn't, (you know your cats best you see)

PoshPuss
16-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Hello Lindsey and welcome to CATSEY.
I took in a stray just before Xmas, unfortunately the vet could not tell me if she was neutered so Posh underwent an op anyway; same with vaccs. I guess you may have to start from scratch, as it were, with your foundling.

I hope she soon settles in well, I'm sure the rest of the pets in your house will be accepting, maybe just give her a bit more time and attention for now.

dandysmom
16-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Well done you for taking in the little girl, and having her checked out at the vet! I've never had a dog so have no idea how you would overcome her fear of them; however many many members here have dogs also and I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice...Saturday is usually a rather slow day here.....
Oh, and welcome to Catsey!

lindsey
16-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Thank you xx

smudgley
17-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Hi Lindsey - welcome to catsey. Unfortunately as Posh Puss said, vets can not determine if a female cat is spayed or not. there is no way of telling. (With a dog they can ultrasound scan the uterus, with a cat it's so tiny, it can't be done) So the only way to know for sure, is to have her opened up & they can then see if she's been done. If not - they will spay her. {If you do opt for this, the first thing they'll do is shave her with caution & check for any previous scar, sometimes a scar may become visible if the cat has already been neutered once the area is shaved}

Another thought * I have come across this sitation a few times & it's the one time that the RSPCA do always seem helpful & they WILL prosecute people who leave their pets behind, if they know the peoples full name & what area they have moved to... might be worth a phone call.

angieh
17-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi Lindsey - welcome to Catsey. Well done for taking in the cat. Hope all goes well at the vet and that your family can expand to accept the poor girl.

Kay
20-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome to Catsey and good on you for going and getting this little girl. I would give it a bit longer and see how they all settle down together if you fancy keeping her.

yola
20-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Lydsey - how's it going with the new kitty? Hopefully things are settling down. Have you seen the vet with her yet? Thanks for taking her on, hopefully she'll have a long and happy life with you . . . WHAT is it with people that just leave their pets behind :mad: