PDA

View Full Version : JAM today, JAM tomorrow or NO JAM at all???

angieh
14-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Here's a teaser for those of you who can figure out the labelling on packaging -

A certain popular brand of blackcurrant fruit spread which is meant to aid you if you are following a calorie controlled diet says on the front of the jar:

NEW RECIPE - 40% MORE BLACKCURRANT

but the ingredients on the back of the jar reads:

Fruit Juice Extract (Apple, Grape, Pear)
Blackcurrants (35%)
Concentrated Grape Juice
Gelling Agent
Fruit Pectin

Does this mean that the previous recipe contained MINUS 5% BLACKCURRANTS??????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :? :-D ;)

babycakes
14-02-2008, 06:54 PM
If it contains 40% more than it used to how much was originaly in there????????

angieh
14-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Exactly!!!!

Hreow
14-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Simple. Say there is 100g in the jar. 40g of that is now berries. It used to be 28.something g, they've increased that by 40% (.4 * 28.n = 11.m g, so a total of 40g).
You don't add percentiles up to get a total. Look at bank interest rates for instance. :-)

angieh
14-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry Hreow! I know I did ask but I have a block with maths and I'm afraid your explanation went right over my head!

dandysmom
14-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Same here; I was never any good whatsoever at math! Minus five seems weird, but right, although it can't be :shock:...... and it's making me wish I had some blackcurrant jam right now...:-D

northern lass
14-02-2008, 11:47 PM
From the ingredients list it should be labelled Fruit Juice extract spread (as that is the main ingredient, circa 60%, rough guess) - but that doesn't sound so nice.

if they have added 40% extra blackcurrants, it means the total has gone up from 25% to 35% !

I think I would stick to proper jam (Fruit and Sugar) , but not have too much (except if it is on a warm scone with loads of clotted cream too :-) )

angieh
15-02-2008, 03:33 PM
From the ingredients list it should be labelled Fruit Juice extract spread (as that is the main ingredient, circa 60%, rough guess) - but that doesn't sound so nice.

if they have added 40% extra blackcurrants, it means the total has gone up from 25% to 35% !

I think I would stick to proper jam (Fruit and Sugar) , but not have too much (except if it is on a warm scone with loads of clotted cream too :-) )

Sounds like the perfect option!

Hreow
15-02-2008, 04:27 PM
And if you make your own, and don't plan on keeping it long (or you freeze it) you can decide how much sugar to put in. :-)

dandysmom
15-02-2008, 05:15 PM
And if you make your own, and don't plan on keeping it long (or you freeze it) you can decide how much sugar to put in. :-)

You've just sent me on a nostalgia trip!! Picking buckets of wild elderberries that grew by the railroad tracks when I was a child and helping my grandma make jam!!

angieh
15-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I do like jam making - last year was building year, so we didn't do any but the year before our raspberry jam was yummy and so was our blackberry! I am quite happy to eat it in small quantities even with the sugar but now I have mil living with us and she is diabetic, so I'd be grateful if anyone could post a jam recipe with minimal or no sugar at all. That would be excellent! Thanks all. :D

Mags
15-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I do like jam making - last year was building year, so we didn't do any but the year before our raspberry jam was yummy and so was our blackberry! I am quite happy to eat it in small quantities even with the sugar but now I have mil living with us and she is diabetic, so I'd be grateful if anyone could post a jam recipe with minimal or no sugar at all. That would be excellent! Thanks all. :D

Here's some sugar-free recipes Angie, may be worth a try.........

http://www.diabetic-lifestyle.com/articles/aug03_cooki_1.htm

http://www.recipezaar.com/242788

babycakes
15-02-2008, 06:53 PM
We used to pick wild blackberries as kids too. I picked some whilst out walking last year and they tasted soooo good, much sweeter and jucier than shop bought. Is there a law about picking them?? If they are on walk ways for instance

angieh
16-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks so much for the links Mags - I've bookmarked them. Delicious!

BC - as far as I am aware, 2 of the things that grow wild that you can pick without breaking any laws are stinging nettles and BLACKBERRIES! I think that's because they grow so easily, so you have no worries.

northern lass
17-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I thought you could pick anything as long as it is not growing as a crop or considered endangered. I have the food for free book and it doesn't mention anything about breaking the law by gathering wild harvest.

I think you just need to be mindful that you don't desimate (think that's how it's spelt) a plant.

We pick, Bliberries, Sloes for sloe Gin, elderberries and when I was a kid my dad made wine form nearly anything (even tea bags :roll: - but they don't grow in the wild :D ) - just need to remember to aviod anything too close to traffic or within pee height where people walk dogs :?

I draw the line at road kill too !!!!